Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. longroofCOMETment

longroofCOMETment

yea the other is down here in central Oregon

and you are correct on the green one, that's where I took the picture.

2. So I had a persistent intake coolant leak that I decided was the fault of the Fel-Pro 1250 Print-O-Seal intake gaskets that I've been using on various SBF's for many years without a problem...

[​IMG]

As it turns out, my trusty Weiand street fighter intake was bent....warped .008 in the middle.

[​IMG]

So I figured it was time for a change and got an Edelbrock 7521 air gap.
    The Edelbrock intake gaskets suspiciously looked a lot like the Fel-Pro 1250 Print-O-Seals.
    With an Edelbrock logo.

[​IMG]

Now I'm just waitin' for the glue ta' dry...

[​IMG]

It's supposed to be in the high 60's next week. I think January might finally be over on the right hand side of the country..

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  3. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

Nice motor! I know what you mean on vacuum leaks, chased one for a long time myself.. don't miss those days!

4. I should'a been more specific- it was a coolant leak... I'm laffin' here.

Not at you though; me.

5. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

anyone looking for a radio delete for their 62-63 futura? new old stock piece

[​IMG]

6. Just sent you a PM...

Posted with an IBM Selectric

7. falconeer

falconeer

Evil, Sent you 2 PM,s on the delete plate please ck.

Thomasville NC

8. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Is anyone running their stock '60-'64 FM2 column shifter with an AOD transmission? I read elsewhere that the C4 detent sold by Falconparts.com will work with an AOD, but I didn’t find any more details. I’m having trouble finding a T5 for my ‘62 and since I have all the automatic parts, I’m researching the possibility of running an AOD behind the 250 instead.

Thanks for any help!

9. Yup, I'm currently running an AOD with the C-4 detent plate on my column shift 63. Works fine, it's just a little fiddly to change with the square headed bolts while working against the spring pressure for the column linkage inside the tube. I've got a picture some place....

10. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Great! This was explained to me by another fellow who indicated that his 1983 AOD was set up so that one could not manually select second gear - is that the same for yours?

Thanks!

11. Well, kinda' correct- with the Cruise-O-matic detent plate, it's impossible to manually select the AOD's 2nd gear (on an AOD, this is first gear until it shifts into second...thus the infamous "AOD shuffle" on floor shifters)...

It'll work fine with the old detent plate, you just can't manually select any gear lower than third...

You'll also have to make some sort of linkage- My 63 had a half ass conversion when I got it- I ditched most of the linkage that was on the trans but saved some of it:

[​IMG]

I'll spare you the usual TV cable/pressure warning....

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

By "old detent plate" you mean from the FM2? Giving you P R N O D where the FM2 gave you P R N D 1?

13. With AOD-

Original plate gave me P R N O/D 3

C-4 detent plate gives me P R N O/D 3 2

I never select anything other than O/D anyway-

I've got a trick Silver Fox constant pressure valve body, 2400RPM stall converter, Trans-Go governor and a bunch of heavy duty crap in my AOD.

More info here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8656081#post8656081

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Thanks again. Sorry for the dumb questions. I've never done much studying about automatics until this week.

15. No sweat, dude. It was hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that there is no manual 1st gear select on AOD's.

Go over to "Click Clack Racing's" forum for everything you ever wanted to know about Ford automatic overdrive transmissions but were afraid to ask.

16. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

Has anybody tried to eliminate some of the steering wheel play in their falcon?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yeah, rebuild the steering arms, ball joints, etc. to tighten it up, and then adjust the play in the steering box. If that doesn't do it, it probably needs a steering box rebuild or replace.

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Actually, I have found the best place to start is almost always with an idler arm rebuild kit. It has a rubber bushing that I firmly believe about half of were bad before they left the dealer show room. The kit costs about 15.00 at any parts wholesaler.

19. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

I've been looking for a 60's sedan delivery for some time now and fortunately found one,the aussie deliverys don't have the long doors,where the American models do I'm a big bloke and need that extra space.I intend to do a few mods,my q/s is,will the convertible door bolt up and will the rubber seal on the conv/top mate up with the door frame on the delivery,thanks for your time and hope you can help ,Gaz!

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The doors will bolt right on. Sedan doors could be made to work, if you backed the posts up.

21. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

Well if the coupe doors are an easy fit,i have to make em seal,that's another issue,i'm hoping someone here has tried it,can only HOPE hey,thanks gh.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will cross-check the US and Australia versions, and make sure.

23. skipperman

skipperman

Here's somethin' a little different on the Falcon I'm doin' ......... Road race style... Shelby Drop on the A arms, etc..... she STICKS !!

Attached Files:

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the path I took.

25. 62rebel

62rebel

if he's found an Aussie delivery it probably uses the same short sedan doors. convertible doors and US coupe doors are longer. sealing the top and back edge of the glass to the body of a delivery using hardtop or convertible doors will require some creativity.

26. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

Sorry I should have mentioned,i scored one of yours just out of N/York,fact v8 as well!

27. I got bored.

Transmission cooler:
    [​IMG]

Aeroquip FCN06 hose and fittings:

[​IMG]

A piece of sheet metal with a bunch'a holes, painted black:

[​IMG]

More holes, this time with grommets in an impossible to find 63 Falcon stone guard:

[​IMG]

Some H-D Shovel head oil tank mounts:

[​IMG]

The Earl's plate cooler, some hose:

[​IMG]

Earl's 5/16 hard line to -6AN adapters, with caps to make less of a mess:

[​IMG]

Lines n' fittings, ready for Adel clamps:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  28. syxxstring

syxxstring

Im digging that front end. Is that all glass or did you build sheet metal onto the front bumper?

29. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

I have been wanting to switch out the stock exhaust manifolds but I keep hearing mixed conclusions whether the hedman headers....http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-88400/?rtype=7 will fit in a 64 falcon with stock shock towers.One in particular has me worried is that the steering box will get in the way.
    Can't afford Dougs and just trying to liven it up a bit.

Thanks,
    mark

30. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston