Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Seroiusly thinking about another fill point. I just piscked up a new 16 gallon tank/drainplug and sending unit
    (rockauto) $152 delivered.
    Either a Jag or Cobra Cap.

2. I don't see anything in the kit that will change the bump steer in these cars. They don't move the LCA pivot point or the steering arm location, so it won't change Bump Steer. In fact I can't see any advantage to this kit at all to be honest. All it does is replace the strut rod with a lower control arm with two pivot points which does nothing as far as bump steer goes. I'm not sure what you mean by "Fully Adjustable" as you have no more adjustment than stock, it just moves the camber adjustment from the upper control arm to the lower pivot and the way it adjusts only on the rear bushing of their arm will induce bind on the other bushing, although probably not enough to cause any issues. There is nothing wrong with the strut rod as long as the bushing are in good shape and if you want to upgrade that the kits from Global West or TCP that use a heim joint are much better and they make the caster adjustable though the strut rod. Unless I'm missing something here, and I have looked at this kit a bunch, I think all it does is add weight without being as good as the stuff from Global West or TCP.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Without altering the length of the tie rod, in relation to the lengths of the control arms (I.e. movng the inner ends inboard), this will do nothing for bump steer.

The bump steer solution on an early Falcon is to use the later model center link, and tie rods.

That kit is a useless wallet lightener.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got the Jag cap, for $30, delivered. Just need to fab up a little recess, and drop it in to the quarter panel.

Even though it is a later model part, it still, to me, has a 60's vibe to it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  5. stickerdick

stickerdick

OK, I might be posting in the wrong spot, if I am, I am sorry. I just picked up a 1964 Wagon, I am planning on doing a low budget "SURF WaGON" theme and I don't know much about Falcons.

I want to run 60's style rims and white wall tires, but I don't want to use 14" or 13" rims. I like the Salt flats rims and I'm trying to figure out how to go 5 lug first, how to drop the front end w/o cutting coils, I'm not a fan of that, I plan on using a 2" block on the rear.

I will stick with the 6 cyl and auto that is in it now, it has A/C, but I want to get the stance right first. Then I 'll consider a V8 swap

Any suggestions or advice on how to achieve the look I want and what size tires/wheels I can go with would greatly be appreciated.

Attached Files:

6. cage66

cage66
    from reno

So I am going to be buying some Trus from Chip (louvers) and I will not need the ones I picked up. 3 are the same and 1 is different Let me know if anyone is interested. I need $150
    [​IMG]

7. cage66

cage66
    from reno

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The last Falcon wagon I did ran 195-60-15's, on 15" x 6".

You don't want to over-do it on tire height. The taller the tire, the bigger the circumference. The bigger circumference will make it seem like it has taller gears. This is not good for the six.

There is no way to lower the front end without installing shorter coils, or cutting coils, or both.

Might I ask why you don't want to cut the coils? I have been doing it for about 30-years, and getting paid to do it for about 25. Done properly, it works just fine, and is a time-honored, traditional practice.

My daily-driver '60 Falcon runs 560in.-lb. springs, intended for a 65-66 Mustang, with one coil cut off, and custom 6-leaf rear springs from ESPO, which have 2" less arch when loaded. Your car can use everything from the Mustang parts bins for suspension.

When you do have the front end apart, it is the perfect time to relocate the upper control arms. This is called the "Shelby Drop". While it does not really "drop" the car, it does "drop" the control arm. In the process, it radically alters the camber curve on suspension cycling, and during body roll.

It is all of measuring and drilling 4 holes. The transformation is from grandma's grocery getter, to canyon carver. The cost is one drill bit. This is the single biggest, most cost effective modification you can make to a Falcon, or any other car that shares it's chassis parts.

9. Bull

Bull

Anyone making new rear lower quarter panels for the 60-61 Rancheros?

10. cage66

cage66
    from reno

No, you either need to cut them out of a ranchero/wagon or modify the coupe ones.

11. Bull

Bull

I'd assume modifying coupe pieces would be the way to go as most of the Rancheros and Wagons I see here are swiss cheesed from years in the rust belt.

12. stickerdick

stickerdick

Cool idea on the "Shelby" drop. I have seen it mentioned on other blogs, had no idea what it did. On the cutting of coild, I just have had bad experiance on a 61 invicta I did and have always tried to use lowered coils since. I assumed I could by a "lowered" coil from some dealer and just swap it out when I do the brakes and any linkage changes I might need to do once I inspect the front end. I have not really been under the car yet, just broughtit home on monday. Thanks for the info on the tires too.

13. cage66

cage66
    from reno

They are still out there I bought a quarter recently
    [​IMG]
    I am thinking I will also shave the gas filler and try to hide it behind the tail light.

14. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Whos on Istagram?
    I post most of the stuff I do on it, fabrication (work and home) sheetmetal fab, repair and other stuff mostly VW related but some falcon too. I have a 61 falcon wagon, 62 VW standard bus (slammed) and do work with friends too.
    Give me a fallow cage66_
    I also like to fallow others who build stuff.

15. Check Desert Valley Auto Parts and a couple HAMB friendly salvage places for good rear quarters.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'd have to get the time to get up there, but I know a semi secret wrecking yard about 50 miles from my front door that had a clean pair of wagon quarters last fall. I'd be happy to check for you if you would like, and I bet they would be a damn sight cheaper than DVAP...

17. fleet-master

fleet-master

I posted these on the metal shaping thread and thought you Falcon guys might be interested too :) This particular Falcon had been in the wars and had had a few different sections welded in here there and everywhere. first the old...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the new ...was best to cut it off and start fresh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

was a bit of a trick getting the gentle curve into the upper bodyline ,but it worked out pretty good and needed only a minimal ammount of filler to finish ,mainly on the joints.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  18. Nice Work ! and a great save on an early Kiwi Coupe .

19. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Nice work. Have a link to the metal shaping thread?

20. fleet-master

fleet-master

thanks guys! the thread is called 'let's see some metal shaping' ...not sure how to link it across

21. stickerdick

stickerdick

Will a 1970 Mavrick V8 8" 5 lug rear end at 51" fit in my 1964 Falcon wagon? I'm trying to do a 5 lug conversion. I was planning on buying a 1967 V8 mustang 5 lug drum complete front assembly, I think from what I have been reading this will all work, but I would appreciate any info more experianced folks might be willing to share.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

51" measured from where to where?

There is only one width measurement on an axle that matters, and that is wheel-mounting-surface to wheel-mounting-surface, or wms-to-wms.

23. falconeer

falconeer

Sticker, yes the rear end from a n early mav-comet will work just fine and it will give you better tire clearance. The mav- comet is 56 1/2" wide from drum to drum.Yours is 57 1/2" from drum to drum.Use spring plates and U bolts from a 67-70 v-8 mustang. the rest is bolt in.

Butch Evans(Falconeer)
    Thomasville NC

24. stickerdick

stickerdick

Sweet Falconeer, We measured the spring perches and they matched up, so I was hopeful. Another buddy of mine has the front end out of a 67 V8 mustang, so I hope that will handle my front end for 5 lug, we will see.

25. stickerdick

stickerdick

Also, my buddy has a c4 transmission, 3 spd, would that fit t he straight 6 200ci in the wagon?

26. redzula

redzula

Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure c4's came on 64-66 mustangs. Ours had a 200ci in it and if I remember right it had a c4 hung on the back.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. stickerdick

stickerdick

I'm pretty sure it will fit after looking at the bellhousing on my 200ci, I'll just have to see.
    Thanks for chiming in though, any info is helpful

28. undead65

undead65
    from easley, sc

whats the widest rims and tires you can put on back of stock 1965 ford falcon? need back space numbers. i have leaf spring relocation kit to put on does this make a big difference in tire width or will i need mini tube it also. looking to get 245 0r 255/60s on back. need help!

29. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

New bumper trimmed and fitted[​IMG]