Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

karfer67,
    I definitely want to see some pictures. Gets me motivated to work on mine too.:)
    The Aussie six motors are actually pretty torquey (sp?), and I am building mind to be a tow rig for a vintage trailer we are building, hence the overengineering, but I picture coming down some of those winding mountain roads with weight pushing my rear, and good handling and a stiff frame seems pretty important.
    The trailing arms do attach right around the place once occupied by the front leaf spring perches. I put them as far forward as I could, to make the arms as long as possible, minimizing pinion angle change during suspension travel.
    Are you going to use coil over shocks?
    Peace

2. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

helping a friend out. anyone put a 390 into a 64-65? problems? pics. any help? thanks

3. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

I havent done one but they did lots of them in the 60's - AFX cars.
    It's a little tight and I believe the towers need to be removed or heavily modified.

Crites Restoration has some parts that help.
    http://www.critesrestoration.com/comet.htm

4. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

yeah he knows about crites.was wondering if there was any where else.or does he need any where else?

5. karfer67

karfer67

wow in his parts list there is a shock tower conversion to change out to a v8. sounds much more easy and cheap than what i was thinking of doing. and it says it will fit a 62 falcon. gotta look into that

6. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

....plus, he's a super guy, a consumate gearhead and has a ton of amazing and rare Ford cars.

7. karfer67

karfer67

wonder how nice he will be to me when i tell him i plan to put a 327 in it :eek: he has a ton of cool stuff and his prices are decent

8. 61falcon

61falcon

[​IMG]
    thought i would share, it has a 331 stroker, T5 and a 9 inch with a detriot locker.

9. karfer67

karfer67

wow 61falcon very nice is it done yet i am curious as to what it will run in the quarter

10. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

well heres my 62'

Seemed like a nice car, but ended up being a maaco restoration. Floorpans seemed solid from underneath, but were rusting from the top down. Its gonna be a mild 60's custom, with the stock 170cid 3/speed tailgate was rusted out, so i moulded it to the rest of the car. Its not finished yet, but its getting there.

Attached Files:

11. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

"Hello Crites Restoration"

"Yes, hi, I am going to put a 327 in my Falcon, and I was wondering"........Click......"Hello?"

I guess I'm wondering.....why would you do that? Seems like a zero sum game.

12. Muttley

Muttley

I'm going to do the same with my Comet. Why? because I love the body style but not the motor. SBC's should have been a factory option.

13. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

That would make me ask what's wrong with a SBF?
    I have had plenty and never had a problem.

14. solid

solid

come on man, i like 327 chevys too, but your not building a nova. What about a hopped up 289 w/ 2 fours, and a 4-spd. How about a 302 5-spd, that extra gear will be nice when fuel goes back up.

15. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

That is a real nice project. Dig it.

16. Muttley

Muttley

Nothing, if thats what you want use one. Isnt that what all this is about? Building something better than the factory did.

No thanks, I'll stick with the SBC plan. ;)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  17. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

"Better" is subjective...... SBC are cheaper, heavier and more abundant.....

If SBC were that much more superior, Shelby would have used them in his ACs/ Cobras, Chrysler would have used them in the Tiger, they'd be in the Pantera, and a host of other in-the-day hotrods.

I actually am considering an older Chevy II with a SBF in it.
    A split window would be a cool eye-opener too.

18. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

See, you guys agree after all:D

19. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

I guess we do....:D

Back on topic question, how was the rear floor in the cargo area of your 62? .....and the rest of the floor area.

My '65 wagon was allegedly a California car (had some old Cali stickers on the bumper), but had rust in the cargo area. The driver floor was soft as well the area behind the back seat (passenger side).
    And, man, did they (Ford) ever spot weld the rear area in. Seems like I drilled forever. Plus I had to do it twice, once on the old rusty and again on the repair section.

I like the looks/stance of your wagon. .... like the coils.

20. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Mine was all rusted to hell. (I didn't even get the handbag)
    The roof rusted through, and all the water went inside to the cargo area and sat underneath a rubber mat. The floors need some work as well, and I have to raise the transmission tunnel.

21. karfer67

karfer67

i knew eventually this would open a can o worms. my reason is the engine was free, it has never been rebuilt so i will only have to turn the crank but i might bore it .030 just for the cubes. and actually i am not dead set on it at all i have been tossing around the idea of a 351 or 390 as well. i would go with a nice 302 as well it is just all cost as was mentioned. i can build my 327 for a fraction of the SBF. i dont hate the ford motor at all but i do have to admit the shock value of tossing some 327 badges on the side is very tempting.

22. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Do what makes you smile

23. karfer67

karfer67

drive wrench repeat

24. 55century

55century
    from Washington

Anybody know how to remove these (for painting)?

[​IMG]

25. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

Falcon done right? done in late 60's from NJ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. thesupersized

thesupersized

i got this car about a year ago, was suppose to be my daily driver...not even a month after owning it got smashed...anyone have a back bumper...still haven't got one yet.

when i got it there were a few things i didn't like that i've changed..(wheels, seats, shifter and some other minor stuff...i put chrome reverse and original m/t rader's in the front..

the car got hit and ran, but i got the person and got money which actually paid for the car itself because im doing all the work myself...before it got smashed..i was going for a mid 60s style car that a kid like me would've had going to school...351 is plenty quick enough for a daily driver...had plans to convert to a 4 speed, but i will sell it and get some type of sedan. anyone want to buy it? quarter panel is still not done...waiting for parts.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

27. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

I have had my 63 for 20 years now. Doing a ground up on in now.[​IMG][​IMG]

28. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

I'm not a fan of the Chevy in a Ford, but it seems like a popular thing to do. Chevy's are only good for boat anchors, or putting people to sleep!

Crites is the one stop shop. If you ever get a chance to go down there, be sure to take a peek out back. They test all their stuff for fitment on the real deal cars with the real motors. They've got them all parked out back.

j.r. Nice, I'm up around Polaris mall, in fact, you can see my car from Polaris parkway if it wasn't covered in snow right now. Be sure to join the Ohio social group!

Solid, I see your car at Goodguys every year, and I always take a picture of it. It was definately an influence on mine. But no front brakes, you're nuts man.

29. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

55 century,
    There should either be press-in barrel nuts, or stamped twist on nuts on the back of the sheet metal panel, that attach to pegs on the emblem.

30. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

I have a question if I build a Gasser do I need to sub frame it or just put it on a frame, ... so you know 390.blower,2 speed powerglide, 9" to be but in the car......