Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

Speedfische, I have a similar setup (5.0 EFI) in my '65 wagon. (recognizing tanks are a little different). Describe your fuel delivery setup please. I have a similar setup and noticed a fuel delivery issue as if it's starving a bit. My pump is low and it's the EFI pump from Jegs.
    Have you had that issue?

Looks like the R&C Motorsports MII conversion?

2. Dude, I just go real slow when I fill my '63 up.

If anybody bitches about how long I'm taking, I just tell'em @ $4.13 a gallon for 93 octane, I can loaf at the pump for as long as I need to....

3. speedfische

speedfische
    from KY, USA

Hi j.r. Nice - I have never had a starving issue with my fuel delivery. As you can see in the rear underside photo, my pump is mounted just in front of the sending unit at the same level. The pump is an MSD 43 gph unit. I run a stock-style filter, a stock non-adjustable regulator and factory fuel rails at the motor. I have 24 lb/hr injectors. All fuel lines are 5/16" tubing (supply and return).

What is the rate of your pump? How much is the motor modified? What size fuel lines?

Also, yes that is the R&C Motorsports Mustang II set-up. I also used their coilover rear kit.

4. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

Looks great! I have their MII. I like it other than a squeak in one of the bushings. Handles great.

I think the pump I have is a Holley. It's about 45 psi. and mounted just past the rear frame kickup. So it's about 12" from the pickup/sender. Hi flow fuel filter. Tank is like new and re-sealed. 6 a/n lines front to real and return. Aeromotive adjustable pressure reg. Runs good pressure until tank gets below about 3/8. Engine is basically a stock 5.0 H.O. and running 19 lb injectors.

I'd like to go with a custom tank and in-tank pump. Sounds like mine whines when it gets hot. Just wondered how yours was doing 'cause EFI is not the norm here. Thanks for the reply!

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's exactly what I did with my Futura about twenty years ago.

6. speedfische

speedfische
    from KY, USA

Yours sounds like it should be good to go - if the pump is old-ish maybe it is wearing a bit. Other than that the only difference I see is the distance from the sender. 12" doesn't seem excessive to me, but some say that with an external in-line pump, the closer to the tank, the better. These pumps would much rather push the fuel than pull it. Gravity feed into the pump is ideal, but can't always be obtained when using the factory sender. There may be some element of gravity feed there until your fuel drops to a certain level.

7. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

You are right, that Falcon is incredible and the scale model of it is just plain unbelievable, accurate down to the quad mufflers, fuel system, Mustang II front suspension, and EFI motor!! wow!! Top notch work, Speedfische!!!!

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've tried slow, and it definitely helps stop the leakage, but it's a pain. With today's pumps I have to hold it tight against the filler neck, and going slow is not just time consuming, it's hard to hold the nozzle firmly for a long time. I end up getting $40-$50 on a fill and holding the nozzle firmly in one position that long isn't fun.
    I've been thinking about taking a spare gas cap and dissecting it so I could make a filler that screwed on like a gas cap, and had the seal; then turned upward, so I could put the nozzle in and fill. Then remove it afterwards and put the gas cap on.
    Just not sure if I could get a good enough seal once it's in place, so it wont leak also while filling.

9. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

1961 Done, right

Attached Files:

10. speedfische

speedfische
    from KY, USA

Thanks Andrew!

11. sdbcivic

sdbcivic
    from West Ga.

What color paint?

Sent using H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. speedfische

speedfische
    from KY, USA

Not sure if this question was meant for me or Leon, but if it was for me: I had the paint shop scan a clean portion of the color that was on the car when I bought it. It had been painted this color many, many years ago and was sort of rough, but I liked the color so much I wanted to redo it in that shade. That being said, I don't know where this color originated from, but if you're interested, I can get you the mix number off of the can when I get home.

13. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

14. speedfische

speedfische
    from KY, USA

That is most certainly it. After mixing it from the scan, the guy at the paint shop told me it was really close to a 1961 factory color. Thanks, Bigcheese.

15. [​IMG]

These are the mounts that have been on my 63 Futura since I got it- I think they're actually for a late 65 thru 67 Falcon/Mustang. They kinda' work, but only use two of the three mounting holes in the lower shock tower.

I couldn't install a "under engine" brace with these in place, so......

[​IMG]

Thanks to ClutchDumpin'Dan's dad Leo, here is the correct for 60 thru mid 65 cast steel stand that bolts to the lower shock tower for the engine mounts. Rubber mounts came from Rock Auto and the intermediate mounts came from a Mustang specialty vendor 'cuz it's always cheaper than any Falcon specialty vendor.

[​IMG]

The brace was stupid easy ta' install; it just bolted ta' the back of the shock towers usin' the factory tru bolts for the motor mounts....

[​IMG]

I had to "adjust" the hard lines for the trans, but other than that, the brace just kinda' fell in and it idn't effect the angle of the drive train one bit.

[​IMG]

Believe it 'r not, my rusty ol' tub actually feels stiffer goin' 'round corners now.

Of course, none of this will work for ya' if your running a big block Chevy....

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  16. justinzerwekh

justinzerwekh

A little late into the gas filler topic...but I got so sick of it i had to figure out an alternative. i got a mustang tank (gave me a bit more fuel room) and dropped it in. The I took the stock 63 filler neck and cut it down to about 3 inches of neck and the cap. I welded a little nozzle onto the side near the cap and used the stock external vent. Then i put a non breathing cap on it. I just pop the trunk to fill it up and i can put the gas nozzle in, hit the hold switch and go inside for snacks. haha I had an old 61 falcon horn button that popped into the outside hole using the stock plastic clips and it looks like its meant to be there!

Btw this is my first post here on the hamb, so ill show off my falcon project.. its a 63 futura that im cleaning up trim, swapping 62 parts, mild mods. Its a daily driver for my wife. Ive gone throught the systems as they broke over the first 6 months, and just finished the interior and doors. Almost done filling trim holes (thank you falconizer!) and swapping the driver door and then just waiting for the cash to paint!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and when I got it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and this is my truck for good measure :D
    [​IMG]

17. Those mounts are what Ford used when they put V8s in the 63s. They used the stock 6 cyl mounts with that kinda U mount to adapt them to the 6 cyl mounts.
    I have a 1963 1/2 Ranchero, Original V8 4 speed. With the Original V8 in it!!

18. MrModelT

MrModelT

My '65 was always a pain to fill up too. I hated having to stand there and hold the nozzle with trigger cracked just a hair so that it wouldn't back feed and spew all over. Eventually I started carrying a 12" piece of garden hose in the trunk. I would slip it over the end of the nozzle then put the extended nozzle down in the tank....worked great! I could lock the pump on and walk away....no leaks or spills.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Cylinder9

Cylinder9

I've got it worked out to 0.2 gal every second and it won't keep shutting off and puking. Of course, a lot of times it will puke when it gets full, so I just try and listen to the gas rushing to stop the flow before it spits it out.

20. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Was able to work on her again :)

I have the basic line finished so no on to figuring out the rest

Attached Files:

21. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Made myself some sketch pads off of some photos, and here is rough idea number 1. It is good for me to be able to actually see something as opposed to working only in my head.

Attached Files:

22. sdbcivic

sdbcivic
    from West Ga.

Yeah speedfische it was for you looked like it had some pearl in it from pics. Just the sun I guess. I like the color a lot and I have a friend building a falcon that loves mint green. So a paint code would be great im going to show this to him.

Sent using H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Hopefully this will be done right, but for now its stock and about 20 pounds lighter from the missing lower quarters.... Not sure what direction im going with it but for now its staying like this to hit up the local beer joints.

Attached Files:

• 056.jpg
      056.jpg
      File size:
      490.2 KB
      Views:
  24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's looking damn good Falconizer!

25. redzula

redzula

Falconizer why is the hood longer than the fenders is that some custom stuff you did or just removing various pieces if trim. Looks good by the way those drawing really have it looking right.

Parkinson looks good from here driving it to the bar is the same plan I have with my 4 door

26. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

I lengthened and peaked the hood more to match the line of the 63 Comet bumper that I wanted to use. I think there is a post about it a few pages back.
    Once I got those lines straightened out, I can doodle around as to how to fill it :)

Side view sketch

Attached Files:

27. speedfische

speedfische
    from KY, USA

I'm not an expert on paint codes by any means, so I don't know if this number will mean anything, except to the guys at my local paint shop - but anyway, on my can it says: JE43816*** A

If that number doesn't mean anything, then I'm pretty sure that tracking down the 1961 Ford color "Mint Green" will get you VERY close.

28. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

I really like that color A LOT! I keep going back and forth between mint green and Meissen blue... hmmmmm

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn. Seeing Minilites on a roundbody is putting ideas in my head.

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, I was thinking the same thing when that picture first hit a week or so ago...