Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Rotorranch

Rotorranch

[​IMG]

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I hear ya about being used to overdrives and such. I too have put about a million miles on 40 horse, 4.37 geared bugs and my original Falcon coupe with the 170 and Ford-O-Crapic. I've got an older buddy from here on the H.A.M.B. telling me to just suck it up and deal with it... Nope! I can't stand the feeling of screaming along at ten under everybody else's speed in the right lane while traffic comes screaming past. I just don't trust humanity that much! My training back in the roundy round days always said that being at the FRONT of the pack kept you out of harms reach. My mentor/race car owner on that had a very simple philosophy... "Just drive faster than everbody else!" Time is ticking down to Lone Star Round Up when the female and I are to drive this little gizzy to Austin. Gotta get this overdrive deal worked A.S.A.P.

3. You don't need to 10 slower than everyone else. Just buzz the motor - they can take it!

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

5. [​IMG]

6. Alfster

Alfster

It also kills the gas economy. We have a speed limit of 60mph here that is pretty strictly enforced so if I can cruise around that I am happy.

7. My 61 Comet wagon with a 200/C4 conversion lives over there now. It's probably happy as can be

8. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

My '65 Ranchero with a 200 and C-4 had a 2.80 screw in it. No speed demon, but it would cruise 70, 75 without a lot of wrap. Does your car have the original engine? The later engines, '68 on up run better, it's mostly the head; bigger valves and intake ports. My '64 wagon is a 170, 3 sp, a 3.50 screw in it. If I keep it, it'll get a 5 sp. I really want a '62, they're my fav. Mike.

9. LOPESphotographics

LOPESphotographics

Just bought myself a 60 Falcon for parts to build up a 61 comet/falcon. I will be taking the front clip power plant dash interior among other things. Probably converting the comet into a 2 door. If there are things needed PM me.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. rocketsam

rocketsam
    from Phoenix,AZ

Heres a picture of the hood i mentioned before. I finally got the stance right and happy with the ride comfort, it hits a tad bit rough cause i still have the bump stops in, but i do plan on taking them out and shortening them

Attached Files:

11. Although I've always liked the round body cars, I've never been a fan of the little rear wheel wells, and you can forget wide tires. For gasser's it's easy, just radius the fenderwell. But for a street roadrace flavored car like mine I don't care for that. I am currently running a 9" wide wheel that i made fit with a bit of hammering, but the tires still rubbed and the bulging from the sledge didn't look that good.
    [​IMG]

So after looking at many different styles of fender treatments and flares, I decided to use front fender openings on the rear.
    I started by cutting out the opening to about the radius of the tire.
    [​IMG]

I then modifed some front fender parts - I took 1" out of the center of the opening, and then pie cut the rear edge to tighten up the length of the opening as the fronts are longer than a normal rear. I then butt welded them in and metal finished them. I still had a little work in this picture to do on the bottm rear but it was close to done.
    [​IMG]

I like the more agressive look, but it still looks like it could have been factory original.

12. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

Those look real nice! Nice job. Had to be hard cutting it up with what looks like a nice paint job.

13. Thanks - it WAS a nice paint job :D But to be honest, I F'd up the other side when I bulged the fender for the wide tires and found an old rust repair that had a little plastic filler that cracked :eek: It made the decision to cut away really easy ;)

14. Alfster

Alfster

Looks good. Looking forward to a picture of the complete car when it is painted..........[​IMG]

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Looks good Don! I've always liked that mod on round body cars.

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nope. Mine has a 200/C4 combo - it's '62 also! I have a '62 wagon, Ranchero, and 62C coupe. I've always been a bit nuts for them. I ran my coupe for quite awhile with a 2.79 in the rear, but even with a way modified 200 on board it was so slow out of the light that a septugenerian nun on roller skates could put a car length on it... Lots of top end though. I can't help but think there has to be an auto over drive combo adaptable out there somewhere. The frustrating thing is that I have a t-50 overdrive and an adaptor that I made and set up the clutch for waiting to go in the ranchero, and I can't throw it in the wagon because my female (who I screwed the wagon together for but has yet to drive it) won't learn to shift a trans... AAARRRGGGHHHHH!

17. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

My '65 wagon had the same 2.79 rear. It was an original 289/C4, but now has a 5.0 HO / AOD (yea, I know, not old skool). Anyway, I was cruisin 65 on the freeway one day and decided it was lugging along, so I decided to clean it out. It hit 100 in nothin' flat and wasn't even breathin' hard.

18. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Finally got a garage rented, so progress can be made. Convertible is prepped for surgery, and should be going under the knife tomorrow.

19. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

Love the radiused look. Nice work!

20. Waking The Dead

Waking The Dead

So i have a 67 falcon and am looking to get the rear end a little lower to the ground im thinking of just running blocks anybody know were to get a set of blocks? are there lowering blocks for other makes, models that will work? do they have to be fabricated?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

21. Alfster

Alfster

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Should be 2 1/2" springs, so damn near any commercial blocks should work for ya. The U-bolts might be a different deal altogether though. Check the diameter of your rear axle housing and see if it will be compatible with the spread of the bolts in the kit you order. Worst comes to worst, most local spring shops can make you a custom set of U-bolts pretty quickly.

23. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Great work on that rear wheel opening!! You rock.

24. Thanks - Now I gotta do the other side :eek:

25. Hotroddon
    I used a portapower and moved the rear wells out about 2 in for tire clearance. Using a 2 in block in the back. The only way you can tell is by looking down the side from the front. Right where the rocker panel meets the rear quarter you will notice that the sheet metal has a noticable curve to it.

26. I did that first, and the rust repair that was previously done cracked all along the wheel well opening. I didn't really like the look as well as this anyway, but was originally hoping to not have to repaint the car.

27. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Septuagenarian, hummmm...I looked that one up in my "Oxford Universal Dictionary", (Don't trust Webster's anymore, too P.C., LOL) Hell man at my age, that's not OLD!! Ha!! But seriously, I believe these engines suffer from having such a short stroke and rod combo. An auto is just gonna sap off the already low torque! But having said that, I recall helping a friend in the early 80s get a '66 Mustang back on the road. 200 and C-4. We put a Maverick engine in it, '71 or '72 vintage, MAN, that thing ran like a V8! Of course, a 289 would have eventually eaten it, but it ran like no other 200 I've been around. Like I said, the later head has a lot to do with that; '68 and up. My wagon is getting a later head, I'll open up the exhaust a little and I might do something different with the carburetor. I'll put a centrifugal advance distributor on at some point too. Mom's '62 sedan, 170, stick would almost get 30 highway. 29.4 being the best! This was in the early 80s, I really think the same car with radials, 5 sp. and open the exhaust just a little would get 32, 33. P.S., Can't give you any female advice; even though they have really perfected the modern motor car, there are still 3 unpredictable things on them; the Tires, the Battery and the Female driver!! ; (

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  28. Depending on year, the 200 can be a pretty powerful motor, comparable to the 250. Also depending on year, you can get rid of the points type ignition and simply install a factory electronic ignition for pretty cheap.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Septugenerian, octogenerian, Hamlet, omlette - It's all the same thing! The sad fact of the matter is that little comment actually has it's basis in real life about twenty years ago with my 62C coupe. She cheated a bit though and started across the cross walk before my light dropped!

I hear you loud and clear with the later head deal. Bigger everthing will help, and your right about automatics sapping power. This has killed me to put this together with one when I know what the better options are... Hell, I have a better option in hand! By the way, I have set this thing up with a Weber 32/36 hidden under the stock air cleaner and a Dura-Spark II ditributor that I recurved. Much, Much,Much better!

When I was puting this thing together, knowing my go fast past (my daily for almost twenty years has been my somewhat over 400 horsie avatar!) my buddies were a bit worried about how light and NON-performance I was building this car. My common answer was "The only thing I'm worried about is how strong the left turn signal will be..." She is after all a cute asian female...

30. Alfster

Alfster

[​IMG]I've even all but stopped refering to it as the "girlfriends" car... Hell, she isn't going to drive it![​IMG]

Must be about time to throw the t-50 in.............[​IMG]

Just kidding. My wife wanted me to by an automatic so she could drive as well.

She has only driven it once. For about 5 minutes....... [​IMG]