Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Hey I have a question for you guys will a 62 v/8 trans fit a 63 6 cyl 170 or is the bell different? this trans is the 2 speed out of a 221 fairlane and I have a friend that needs one for a six in a 63 ranchero any help appreciated on this
    thanks
    Ken

2. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

falonizer, your wagon is looking good. I must have missed what motor you put in it. I also like the strut tower and bars

3. Square

Square
    from Canada

I was totally flaccid... Awesome build!

4. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Thanks man. :)
    The motor is a 3.9L (238ci) OHC crossflow from an Aussie Falcon...

5. rocketsam

rocketsam
    from Phoenix,AZ

Ok i cant find the specs to adjust the heads on my six banger. its a 170,but i cant find the specs for the damn thing anywhere? does anybodys know? one more,i drove my bird the other day after the hole rebuild and it drove pretty nice,the only thing that im wondering about is the rubber stopper that the upper control arm hits. its about a half an inch away from it haha anybody else have this problem? if so, what did you do? or should i just leave it alone? -Sam

6. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

No body running big tires and wheels on a 1965 falcon wagon come on someone ..maybe i should just move the springs inboard and get a 275 60 in there

7. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

8. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

lol ya but dont want to cut the car..will however move springs if i have to but would rather not

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

woodwagon 65.... moving the springs inboard migth be a good thing. have you looked in the fenderwell to see if it is curved on both the inner and outer portion (I hear you need to modify the fender side of the inner fender to remove the curve and be more perpendicular to the fender (mini tub basically) as the tire will still possibly rub even with the springs moved inward.. (just what I have heard about some of the early falcons (60-63, not sure about your year

10. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

Boones ..has a weird ass shape to it for sure but not 100 percent sure thats why i thought hell just post it here see what someone came up with ...perfect black plate car so dont want to cut it in any way not even mini tub want to deal with whatever i can fit ,,lol and keep on back peddlin the go stick best i can but need to get a better 60 foot lol got in the 12s with a 70 14 so should be able to improve some ..have the mph

11. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

can you find narrow drag radials for it. (wiht all the compacts now racing, I would think you might be able to find a good drag radial in a 14 or 15 that would fit.) I understand now wanting to cut it up, but when I say mini tub, I do not mean cutting the inner fenders out, only trimming the outer side (when it almost touches the fender) and having it go flat (from the top of the inner fender) to the fender.. with the interior installed, no way for anyone to ever tell it was modified and with a tire on it, no way for a future buyer to ever see it... I have a 62 falcon wagon and keep looking at how I might get more tires on it if I do a motor swap.

12. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

will check that out couldnt find a 14 drag only in 15s and would love to see a 275 in there buddy did it with his 65 cuda looks sweet ..still need a 27 in tire anyway to keep some mph 275 are 28 so would help a little on hiway

13. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

still no help eh !! am i the only one who needs big tires lol

14. speedracer6

speedracer6
    from w pa

Woodywagon, with a 27in tall tire you might be tight to the wheel opening by the rocker. My 64 Futura has the mini tub and springs moved in, and i had this problem. I ended up moving the rear end back 1 inch. Had make another driveshaft, 1 inch longer. Now has 295/50/15s with plenty of clearance. This was my way to get larger tires under the fenders.
    speedracer6

15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot an on-idle stumble? The car runs and accelerates fine, but there is an odd off-rhythm popping as the car idles.

1968 Falcon 170, Carter YF, and points dizzy.

Thanks,

Dave

16. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Nice pickup truck.

17. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

hey Speed racer .
    moved mine back 1/2 inch already dont have much more to the rear with spare tire deal in the wagons on pass side
    do you have any pics on tires from rear ??

Attached Files:

18. 64wagonist

64wagonist

Heres a pic of mine, which is got plenty of work left in her before she is finished!
    [​IMG]

19. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

Did you get an answer? I didnt post because the PO had already trimmed the lip on the fender/inner fender. I cant remember exactly what I have (and car is still in winter storage) ...but I have 17s on the rear and 15s on the front. I have had more problems with the top of the tires hitting the upper inner fender where it curves. If I keep some air in the air shocks it helps.

They are Torq thrust wheels. Again, I'd need to look up the backspace.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  20. zombie289

zombie289
    from SoCal

Looks good mate, what size rubber on the rear?
    Are you running a falcon rear or a maverick rear?

21. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

Thanks Zombie,

Wheels: Torq II

Front 15x6
    Rear 17x8 4 3/4 offset

Tires: BFG G Force

Front 205/50ZR-15
    Rear 225/50ZR17

The rear axle is/was the original "stock" unit. I upgraded the gears to 3:25 :1 with posi.....since I didnt think I'd need a top speed of 200mph. I also upgraded the axles to Moser units after I snapped an original. I HIGHLY recommend doing that if you plan on keeping the original rear. The engine is a 5.0 H.O. fuelie, so it's not like I am doing burnouts with some monster motor

[​IMG]

I still have plenty of work to do, but it's a great ridin' car.

22. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

I'm diggin' the wagons!

23. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

I think I can help you with that.........

This is the "Strange Bird" my 62 Futura A/GS drag car. I posted it in the falcons done right thread as well, so you have probably already seen it...or not.

The car is powered by a Littlefield Supercharged 401 Buick Nailhead that was originally built for a competition 1960's drag boat. The motor sports a custom blower manifold made here at the shop, custom pistons, custom rods, wild Comp cam, Comp lifters, custom valve springs, custom hi-flow valves, mild port work, custom pushrods (all custom work except for the cam and lifters was done 35+ years ago and never run), custom headers made in-house,vintage Weiand valve covers, dual Buick Wildcat Rochester 4 Jets that were modified for use with the blower with custom linkage, Nicson front cover/engine mount, custom rear motor plate, custom oil pan, and its backed by a built switch pitch ST400 transmission that is from a Riviera. Front suspension is a Speedway straight axle kit with custom made two position shackles, and panhard. Rear suspension is stock leaf springs with the front halves clamped solid and custom 66" long heavy wall ladder bars. Rear axle is a Lincoln Versailles unit with 4.56 gears. Tires are Hurst Racing Super Cushions in the front, and Hurst 30x10 Piecrust slicks in the back. Wheels are Vintage American Racing Magnesium spindle mounts up front (no front brakes) and vintage Shelby Cal 500's out back. Seats are set back almost to the rear seat. Gauges are a Sun Super tach, and vintage Stewart Warner oil, temp, amp. The car will have a cage that ties into the full subframe, and a passenger seat as well when it is finished. This is a period exhibition car, so it will not conform to current NHRA spec. The car is being built to the 1966 NHRA rule book. It has the maximum crank center height of 25", and near the maximum amount of engine set back as well. Maximum setback was determined by the wheelbase. You are allowed 10% of the wheelbase measured from the axle centerline to the first sparkplug hole. This engine is set back 10" I'm sure there's more, but I cant think of it this early....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is running........

24. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

that is sweeeeeeeeeet!!!

25. I set mine up to do something a little different
    [​IMG]

Goodguys Autocross, Costa Mesa

26. Great project, look forward to seeing the finish product.

27. Great looking rag top.

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Don, Just curious, what front end you running under your convert. I know you like the stock stuff improved, but more specifically, I'm curious about the steering rack I see down there. What's it from? Handling results do seem to speak for themselves! Also, what size front tires and wheels, and backspacing ya running? OK, I'll stop asking questions now! Thanks, Chip

29. Wheels and tires are woefully undersized. 15X7 with a 3.75" back space with 195/60-15 tires. Car needs more MEAT, and is about to get the fenders split to put 8.5" rims with 235 front tires and 255 rears.
    The front suspension is Global West Tubular A Arms up top, plated (IE reinforced) stock lower arms with spherical bearings, Global West Adjustable Tension Rods with BIG heim joints up front, Koni shocks, urethane pivot spring perch's (the roller bearing ones are a waste of money in my book) and Global West Springs. The steering rack is from Unisteer, it is the power version. I will be pulling it out and switching to a Total Control rack very soon.

30. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

chuckles, how does it run... in the video it looks like you are running it off the water hose.. do you have it on the street yet?