Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Doing a valve job the old way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Mar 31, 2018.

1. squirrel

squirrel

I haven't been that lucky....never had an opportunity to get valve/seat grinding stuff free or real cheap. But I suppose if I looked around, I might be able to find some.

yeah, it's the long tail side shift trans. I need to pull it out and look at it, I suppose. It's just sitting in the frame X member right now, the driveshaft is out, and the engine is out. The clutch looks almost new, the pilot bearing came apart (ball bearing), the throw out bearing needs the plug removed and a zerk installed, and a few squeezes of gun grease in it.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  2. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I love reading your post, I want to be the first to tell you that you are doing it wrong :D
    I really enjoy reading about your adventures. Solar powered stereo in a corvair??? I laughed so hard trying to explain it to my uncle, he still thinks I am nuts.
    Going racing in the cheby a few months ago, then end up street driving it when your truck transmission went south .... it was a adventure, loved it.

I myself am on a adventure. I live in Washington, just bought a house in Texas.
    In the process of starting up my avatar photo and driving it to Texas.
    My compression check was poor and pulled the head yesterday, 60 60 30 0 0 0 had 5 stuck valves.
    Engine gasket set from napa be here tomorrow or Wed.
    Ordered a new fuel tank from tanks inc and be here Thur
    Disk brake conversion kit from rusty hope and be here Thurs
    Pick up a exploder rear end 3:73 gears Wed
    May 1rst I am driving this girl 2k miles to Texas
    I bet you $5 I wont have door glass, but I have a really good heater.

We live and we die, what happens inbetween we call life.
    I wish/hope I get to run into Jim sometime and shake his hand, thank him for the inspiration and the memories.

bulletpruf, B Bay Barn, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  3. Holy ship... subscribed....

4. Just heard it on my ipod the other day on my way to work.

5. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

maybe not applicable to that lasalle, but i bought a pilot and other necessaries for grinding seats for flathead ford on ebay. stones available elsewhere. it's a black & decker, which seemed to have the most availability at the time.

squirrel likes this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Stogy and loudbang like this.
  7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Did not see this before I posted. You must have read the same book written by Neil about his various cars he has owned over the years as I did.

Stogy, loudbang and Truck64 like this.
  8. Ohh, What's the name of the book?

loudbang likes this.
  9. Unknown.jpeg

Stogy, loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  10. Thanks TB! Now I'm off to Amazon. :)

Stogy likes this.
  11. Latigo

Latigo

Thanks for the ride along Squirrel! I'll be following this adventure. We passed through Sierra Vista in March on a circumnavigation of your fine state. You live in a beautiful area.

loudbang and squirrel like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

David was down last weekend, we fiddled with brakes, and I got the remains of the head bolts out of the block. He was going to visit today, but didn't make it. But I'm working on the engine anyways. I got the block mostly cleaned up, did the final lap of the valves, polished the stems, cleaned the ports and everything as best I could, and did a final hone.

Today I started reassembly, put the valve springs in, then the cam and lifters, then the crank and started on the pistons.

lifters.jpg

pistons01.jpg

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know nothing about these old Cad/LaSalle flatheads. Does that crankshaft have bolt on counterweights? Did they all? It's a lot more beefy looking that the usual flathead V8's I've been working on. Still only 3 mains, though.

loudbang likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

yup, huge bolt on counterweights. And hydraulic lifters. 3 main bearings. Should be fun to see how it runs!

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  15. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

One caveat: If the valves get too thin the outer edge heats up and warps or cracks. Everything has a finite life span.
    'Cept maybe an anvil...

loudbang likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

yup, gotta leave some margin

17. I have never seen a Caddy flathead in pieces. Interesting engine. I am a little surprised with the engine only having 3 mains.
    Are you going to do something unusual with the exhaust manifolds?
    I always paid the extra money and bought the Souix valve stones. Yeah, they cost more, but no worries about a stone disintegrating while you are grinding something. I had that happen with a no name stone. Pieces of stone everywhere, required a diaper change. Thank goodness I was wearing safety glasses.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

I'm going to put the exhaust manifolds right back where they were. I'll scrape off the remains of the old gaskets, first.

shawnsauto1 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I rebuilt the 346 for my old '40 Cadillac, love the way those engines are built. Bolt-in lifter blocks holding four lifters each, neat plumbing from the engine block to the lifter blocks, and those HUGE weights bolted to the crank. No worries regarding just three main journals, these engines make hellish torque at RPM's that most engines idle at. No reason to spin them fast at all.

loudbang likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

The rear gears are rather steep, so it will spin a bit.

Sent from my Trimline

21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@squirrel I like your Trimline signature. I have an Ericofon sitting on the counter that I use. One with a dial, so I cannot press 1 to speak with someone about purchasing an extended automobile warranty...
    ericofon2.jpg

Woogeroo and loudbang like this.
  22. Back in 1959, there were two guys in the club that installed OHV Caddies, but I never even heard of someone playing with the Caddie flathead.
    I learn something every day on this list.
    Bob

23. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do a Google search on Flatcad racing.....

24. I watched the run, sounded fantastic.
    Bob

25. belair

belair

You're not going to need that heater. Where are you headed to in Texas?

26. squirrel

squirrel

The road trip we are taking in the Hearse starts in Chicago at the end of October, we follow route 66 to the end by the ocean.

It'll be cold.

saltflats likes this.
  27. squirrel

squirrel

I go the engine together the rest of the way tonight, so that it's out of my way....

IMG_20180506_235636.jpg

28. louisb

louisb

Those bolt on counter weights are crazy. And veddy cool.

—louis

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  29. louisb

louisb

We expect a trip report too.

—louis

Floater03 and squirrel like this.
  30. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Are those exhaust manifolds enamelled?
    Those early engineers had a funny way of attaching manifolds to the engine. I guess with nice soft asbestos gaskets they must have sealed okay.