Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Does your traditional rod or custom have a locking gas cap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Gary, Nov 30, 2017.

?
  1. Yes- it provides peace of mind against vandalism or theft.

23 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. No- they're not period correct and moreover, you're too darn paranoid!

21 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. Other.... e.g. Doberman chained to bumper; car never leaves garage, etc...

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Assuming it's accessible & visible...

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Locking gas cap. All fasteners that are easily accessible are of a non-common-tool variety.

Three kill devices.

I live in a real city.

3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Alcohol breathalizer.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  4. no....but two of my hot rods are locked in the garage and he third in an enclosed trailer

Dino 64 and Just Gary like this.

5. The only cars I had locking gas caps was my 1940 Ford sedan and my old 1932 mordor sedan,I'm sure they are good deterrents to keep stupid people from steeling gas or putting something in the tank.

I honestly think they are a good idea but if you somehow misplace the key your up ol' Shinola Creek. HRP

Dino 64, lothiandon1940 and Just Gary like this.
  6. Right you are Danny. Remember you had to mail me that gas cap key? Well, stupid me later lost the sucka and I had to drill out the lock to get the gas cap off. I think now I will just risk losing some gas to a thief. But I never park in unwatched anyway so I doubt it will get siphoned.

Dino 64 and Just Gary like this.
  7. Two of the cars, you can't see the gas cap. The Merc is in the trunk and the t-bucket has it under an upholstered cover, so "out of sight, out of mind". The '35 has an exposed gas cap, and it locks. People suck, and if you give them half a chance to be stupid...they will take it.

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep--all 40's get them and wife's 55 has had the same one for over 40 years. Spare keys in glove box and on key ring. Lots of opportunists out and about. We live in a low crime area but there are still things stolen in the wee hours. 55 or 40 are never left outside!

9. In this day and age anyone can carry a cordless drill around and drill out the lock on a gas cap or some holes through it. If they have time to siphon gas they have time to drill it out. It may get them to pass by but if they are serious about it it's not hard to bypass.

10. I've got real cool cast aluminum(?) chrome one for my 48 Plymouth, it's exposed and it was best looking cap I could find.
    005.JPG

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  11. In the trunk and PA has the castle doctrine.

Dino 64, lothiandon1940 and Just Gary like this.
  12. adam401

adam401

Do people actually siphon gas anymore? I'm not being sarcastic. I live in a city and I've never heard of that happening from anyone in my adult life.

scotty t likes this.
  13. town sedan

town sedan

Siphon gas? no one does that anymore. Now days they just knock a hole in your tank collecting what they want in a bucket.
    -Dave

14. It was rampant around here when gas was over $4 a gallon. Not so much now.
    Heard a story about an RV in a driveway that was hit a few times. The guy put an unleaded gas only sticker over the toilet pump out location. The guy found a puke puddle and a rubber hose laying next to his rig. Probably a BS story but it did put a smile on my face.

wicarnut, blowby, wojojo and 7 others like this.
  15. Have a locking cap on this old crate. Cool old style slide cap. 20171130_185422.jpg 20170917_072156.jpg

mgtstumpy, Dino 64, i.rant and 7 others like this.
  16. Mine are always parked inside over night & I don't hardly let them get out of sight when I'm out & about.
    True there are lots of dip-shits out there that wouldn't think twice about stealing gas or whatever they can get their hands on.
    So far I've been lucky.

Stogy likes this.
  17. ........................Then there are bitter ex-wives and girlfriends who troll car events with those little packets of sugar to consider.:eek:

Dino 64 likes this.
  18. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I'd rather them just siphon some gas then jacking something up trying to get the locking cap off. It's only gas.

19. I don't have one of those, but I'm sure it's been done.
    Some don't even need a reason.
    Fellow club members have lost a few things during show & shines, sunglasses, magazines, crankcase breathers, lawn chairs, coolers, etc......
    One guy had both of his door lock knobs stolen????
    Anything that is just laying around your car.
    I make sure that everything is either in the glove box or trunk, for that reason.
    If I go visiting during a show I will usually roll up the windows & lock the doors.
    I fricking hate thieves!!!!!!!!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. goldmountain

goldmountain

Got one of those flip-up gas lids from Factory Five for their Cobra kit cars. These things are so big that I have a normal gas filler tube with a locking cap underneath it.

21. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Things that aren't locked always seem to become "souvenirs"!!!

22. They still syphon petrol here, so my cars have locking caps. I live in suburbia, on a corner, and a couple of times have found my garden hose missing a few feet. Guess what the turds were using to syphon out next door's gas? Now if I could work out a way to put rat poison inside a garden hose.....

Dino 64, Just Gary and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. kepnick

kepnick
    from illinois

I have locking caps on all my cars. Key is on ring with ignition key. Since doing this I never left a cap at a gas station.

clem and i.rant like this.
  24. robracer1

robracer1

No here, car never leaves my sight never, at car shows I run with a group that look out after each others rides.
    Had a locking gas cap once lost the only set of keys for the cap and wheel locks, after that mess I will never use anything aftermarket for locking.

25. badvolvo

badvolvo

No, But the gas is the least of my worries when I leave one parked somewhere besides home. Had a friend with a convertible with a high dollar stereo. He would leave it unlocked, so if they wanted to steal it they would not hurt his car. They cut the top and stole the stereo anyway.
    I have had my business broken into, (in the city) they just cut though the sheet metal walls.
    I was always told, "locks are there to keep an honest man honest".

robracer1 likes this.
  26. I have one that I bought in the 50's that still work's & its like a Double
    Dead Bolt Lock.,
    Just take it apart oil it up & it will Last another 100 years

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

27. Deuces

Deuces

I thought locking gas caps was a "70s thing.....:rolleyes:

28. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

My 46 has the locking gas cap that was on it when I bought it in 1970. Seller was originally owner. Key says Briggs Manufacturing.

olscrounger likes this.
  29. hotrod428

hotrod428

I have a locking cap on my wife's 49 Ford but if they want the gas bad enough there's a drain plug on the bottom of the tank. If you put the key on the ring with the ignition, how can you lose it?

olscrounger likes this.
  30. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

I guess I kinda have a locking gas cap.. It's in the trunk..