Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does your hotrod try you just before a trip?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patrick2965, Aug 19, 2010.

1. I'm trying to collect tools and stuff to make my first really long trip in my 29 Tudor. I haven't had a problem during the past three months blasting around town and a 275 mile round trip.
    Battery dead, don't think it's Optima's fault or mine. Brake line starts leaking, need to cut and reflare.
    What's next? I really need to go to MoKan!!!!! Just for the trip!!!

2. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

My stock antique does it, too.
    How do they know?

3. blitz

blitz

shes just keeping you in line. they love to do it

4. Weasel

Weasel

They mess with you but just show 'em who's the boss and suddenly they're as good as gold - mostly....

5. Just a little more work to do. Gave up last night because I was too damn tired. Gotta bleed the rear brakes.
    We named the car Miss Chevious. I believe she's starting to live up her end of the name now!
    Hope to see some of y'all in Joplin this afternoon!!!!!

6. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

My head gasket blew 2 weeks before the Run To THe Sun in Myrtle Beach, the first big show of the year. Had to fix it in the driveway because the garage was full of a 53 chevy truck resto project. Found out the engine has been bored .080 over.

7. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

supose tro leave in a few hours for a 3 day rod run... coupe give'n me the frights!!!

8. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

she's just tellin' ya that while your fixing this, you might as well check everything else before the long trip. better off happining now than once your on the road!

9. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

yep,happens to us too. im starting to think the ol girl is just givin us a heads up. id rather fix something in the comfort of the shop than try to rig something on the road, tryin to make it home.

10. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Roadster was running great until the day before I was to leave for L.A. Roadsters Fathersday Pamona. Went to start it and the starter was dragging. Worked all day on it before replacing the battery that had 12V in it. That fixed it.

11. ripsrides

ripsrides

my old 57 would never start when i would stop to pickup girlfriend onthe way to school guess she didnt like her lol

12. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I was beginning to wonder about my 60 Apache.
    So far I have needed 5 stiches (hand) exploded a elbow(hit frame with tip of elbow) Cut my forehead, Alomost knocked myself out rasing up under tailgate and hitting door jam numerous times.
    Also having pulled the engine twice to fix engine shop issues.
    Finally after a stern talking and a wrap to the frame with a BFH...I think all the BS has stopped.

13. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

That's not normal? Had a starter hang on me once when I was starting the car to go to a show four hours away, nearly melted the cables before I could get them off. Had to replace the cables (batt in trunk) and the starter before I could leave.

14. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I had a '63 Buick Electra 225 I was selling last summer, and the buyer was flying down from Kalamazoo and going to drive it back. (That was a crazy idea, because I don't think I ever even drove the car out of my own town.)

Maybe a week before he comes down the thing starts to overheat regularly. Installed a new thermostat and a water temp. gauge and the thing was driveable again.

I'm lucky it was an easy fix.

15. I can't say about my cars but I know the Raven thrashes every year to get to MOKAN and he drives his stuff everyday. Its just a right of passage for some. Now hang a big assed grin on your face knucle down and hit the road it'll be a blast.

16. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

No, but they seem to know when I'm gonna sell mine. Then everything goes wrong. My wife thinks its because they don't want to leave.

17. pinman 39

pinman 39

Its a law of the universe .Pack every tool you have ever used on the car and the one that you forgot is the one you will need .If you pack them all you will be fine .
    The American car industry built on 1/2 7/16 and 5/8 inch .
    Go have fun leave the worry to the guys worried about "Trailer Damage "

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, rods or dailys it doesn't seem to matter. Drive the thing around town for weeks with no problems and get ready to leave town and all the sudden it needs last minute attention. Two weeks ago we were heading out of town for a trip to the San Juan Islands on our sailboat and the 71 GMC that is my daily lost a pinion seal. 25 bucks for a seal and 20 bucks for gear oil and the time it took chasing the seal down plus installation later we headed out off six hours later than originally planned. The truck didn't act up again but we spent one night in the Smoky Point Southbound rest area on I 5 with a burned out wheel bearing on the trailer on the way back. My bad on that one as I didn't repack the wheel bearings on the trailer before the trip or pick up a couple of spare sets locally.

19. DougHH

DougHH

last long trip i took was the last trip the 59 took since december.
    *split radiator hose 5 mins from home
    *charging problems that drained battery as it ran, so stop to get fuel, i needed a jump
    *lost wheel bearing at high speed, lost drivers side rear axle.

yeap...

20. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Every time. Driver Door pops open when turning right out of a steep driveway, shifter linkage falls off, fuel pump quits, carb overflows and hydrolocks motor, fuel filter clogs, lowering block snaps in two.

21. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

hmm. just got back. Coupe ran flawless.

22. dannybayo

dannybayo

On the way to the H.A.M.B. drags yesterday to pick up my buddy I noticed it was raining even though it was sunny,I realized the rain was coming from the louvers on the hood.The radiator had developed some pinhole leaks just below the weld between the tank and fins.This is an aluminum Griffin which I have had for 11 yrs.and about 80,0000 mi.I will try some J B weld.Dan

23. During "Toms Fun Run", the fuel pumps brushes turned quiter.. In front of what seemed like everybody in the world, at the time. So I left the pumps switch on, and ran to the back. Smacked the pump outta anger, and it started up again, then quit. I moved the wires around, till the brushes contacted the armature, again. Wrapped electrical tape to hold the wires in place, around the pump itself. Happened a couple more times, that day.. It's a funny story, now, but I almost let it ruin my day. So I would bring some electrical tape, too.

24. I guess Miss Chevious was giving me fair warning to keep her in shape.
    Less than 1500 miles on the engine, used and/or lost 2 quarts of oil in the first leg of the trip. I put in more Rotella.
    Filled up with gas at one of Wally's houses of pain. Spit, sputter, Rice Crispies boys waved while passing.
    Trying to start the car in the hotel parking lot to go to MoKan. Starter cranks it over and then won't turn it over or chatter like a dead battery!!!??????! Won't roll over when trying to roll start??????? Grab a 5/8" wrench, turns just as hard is it should..???? Starter works and fires off like Miss Chevious should.
    What's next?