Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does your car fit you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slickhale, Jun 9, 2012.

1. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

The last car I had never stuck on me. After the initial "hey its new to me" buzz wore off all my plans for it were scrapped. It was a ridiculously low mile unmolested car with power options in a desirable body style so my plans turned into preservation of value instead of making it my own. The for sale sign wasnt far behind, I liked the car but it wasnt me. My current car is primered, has no options(except non working power steering), has barely cool wheels and a nice well worn interior......thats more like it. It feels like my car, feels like I can do whatever i want to it. Maybe I'm a nutbag for feeling like my cars personality syncs with mine but I bet I'm not the only one here.......

2. 327Eric

327Eric

my 59 el camino has not quite jived with all the work i've done. Probably, because it has the wrong seat and quite literaly doesn't fit my big gut. Its not pleasant to drive right now. once i get my chevelle seat in it, i hope it will be more comfy.

3. Muttley

Muttley

Thats not what he's talking about at all. He wants to know if you and your ride are suffering from car clash.............like a dude in a cowboy hat driving a Carolla.

4. I feel you. I've found myself the owner of a few really nice rides only to find after awhile that they just weren't what I wanted. I tired quickly of really nice paint, and all that. Now I find myself liking cars with a bit more character that I don't mind the interior getting a little dirty, or me leaning against the fender.

I think my old man said to me one time something along the lines of "There's just something special between a real car guy and an old workhorse beater... maybe they each recognize eachother for what they are." Sounds corny, but, I've found it to be true as hell for me. I've always felt that some rigs have just earned my respect while others haven't.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

All this applies to women in men's lives too.........in my experience and observation.

There is more to any relationship than meets the eye.....

Ray

6. grf-x

grf-x

if you feel like a nut bag then we should. I haven't gotten my 51 Shoebox running yet. So i don't know if it fits me. But I can say... i enjoy working on it as much as i think I am going to enjoy driving it.

7. i know what your talking about, my first car '33 chevy always felt right, despite it's lack of amenities. my '39 gmc rack body, feels like an extension of myself. my wife an i have had cars that i never gave a crap about, no matter how new or how nice.

8. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

When my 48 was up and running with no interior and no finish paint I decided to drive it before I put any more time and money into it. I realized that I might not even like the car. Well, that was three years ago and it is still without interior or paint, but I've driven it 10,000 miles. I like it just the way it is.

9. I've bought cars like that because they were a great deal. I've traded them or sold them when the time was right. One I was driving and fixed a bunch of things on it... the guy who bought it got a real nice car.

Bob

10. fitzee

fitzee

So Im not alone in this. I had a few rig over the years and I seem to loose interest in them very quickly. I had my T bucket now for 12 years..its small and fast and thats what I loved for years but Im getting older it is only now that I feel that car is getting tired.I want something low and slow and with a roof! want to keep the T as it has become a part of me now but I need a chance.

11. Red Dragon Racing

Red Dragon Racing
    from Indiana

I'm not sure if my Fairlane's style fits me or not. I'm generally known as a Jeep guy to most people and I'd say that fits my personality pretty well. But, we've owned the Fairlane since I was a year old and it was my Mom's daily driver up until I was in the 8th grade. I was dreaming of driving and building that car since I was a kid. It has become a very special car to me over the years and I will never part with it. It will be passed down to my kids some day with the stipulation that it can never be sold. Its a cool car, but not necessarily worth a ton of money. But, its been in the family and we bought it from the original owner, so it's found its permanent home.

12. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

I love my car for everything it is, I can't imagine being without it, I get mad it, cuss it, smile when I drive it, and at the end of the day when I put it in the garage I know why I will never part with it, it truly reflects me.

13. outlaw256

outlaw256

i have a few cars and they all fit me. i love them all. and they are a pain in the ass just like me. dont believe me just ask my wife. she tells me that all the time.

14. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

when i drive my old tub i feel 18 again its a keeper

15. upspirate

upspirate

The coupe I'm collecting parts for will be sold as soon as I get done I'm afraid.
    Originally it was to be primered,rubber floor mats,paint detailed daily driver,but when I got a deal on the all chrome,drilled split wishbone front-end,it became a dressed up show queen with too much chrome to drive daily.
    I can't see having a garage queen with a ton of money tied up in it.

But,I HAVE to build my concept!!!;)

16. upspirate

upspirate

My pick up may have too much chrome for a daily also,but I'm loving it right now.Dirty paint looks far better than rusted chrome and corroded aluminum engine parts!!!

I may just paint the stuff after it rusts though as the truck is fun
    to drive

Attached Files:

17. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

I'm an Italian dude coming in at 5'10".
    My cars is as large as some small inner city apartments.
    But personality wise, dog cut match.
    That car will take any condition my moods in, and better it.

18. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

I feel the same way about my 39' Ford standard coupe. However, since some IDIOT Gal smashed into me last March I'm afraid that I won't get it back to the same condition as it was because the insurance company (Heacock Ins.) is really trying to screw me on the repair costs. My lawyer (A big idiot firm) is supposed to know how to deal with this stuff (Berman & Berman), but like everything else in Florida..... They suck!
    So... I know when a car is "Right for me", but you never know if it'll stay that way!

19. Killer32

Killer32
    from California

My ride definetly fits me,,I'm covered with Tattoos and it's a baaad ass looking hot rod!!!
    LOVE IT!!!

Attached Files:

20. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

No, it does not fit me.. I'm old and fat.. But model A's are so cool, I don't care.. I will always have one or two......

21. RodStRace

RodStRace

I have a HAMB friendly car that I enjoyed getting back on the road, but it's just not me. I don't fit real comfortably either, which is part of it. Physically fitting is obviousy something that plays into if the car 'fits' your personality and driving style, just like a pair of shoes or jeans.
    I'll get it going and looking nice again and move it.
    My vans are funky and sure aren't road machines, but fit better. I hope the 40 works out when it's together. I've put too much time and money into it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  22. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

My '46 fits me to a "T". We're both kinda ugly, reliable,unusual, and can't be in polite company....I've had more than one friend inform me "That truck is just you....your Corvette- not so much.":D
    Maybe it's the overalls I wear all the time? :D

23. y-oh-y

y-oh-y

My 60 fits like a glove, I'm home. When my daughter saw it for the first time she said " OMG it looks like you " I don't know if thats good or not, I hadn't started repairs on it yet.

24. Fat, Slow, and Unreliable....Like a glove.

25. 327Eric

327Eric

hmm-Loss of interest in a car because the fun factor is gone. Gee guess I read that wrong . If the new seat doesn't change my opinion of driving the car- its gone. It just hasn't quite clicked enough for me to overlook the comfort issue. Or the issues of running a 12:1 engine on the street, and many other factors. interests and directions change over the years.

26. jazz1

jazz1

I always wanted an old truck so once the kids had grown up I sold my muscle car which had the extra passenger room for a family and got myself my '41 Int'l..Fits fine and physically the cab has plenty of room now that it has bucket seats,,,a 6'4" fellow was over yesterday and he was impressed with the leg and head room for an old truck

27. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Mine fits me perfect...

28. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

well, my car is old and beat up, and im old and beat up, so yea i guess mine fits me.

29. I did not really fit my original '31 Dodge. I could only see from the bottom of the windshield to the top of the steering wheel....just a little wedge of vision. I was 4'-11" tall. Now I am taller and can see over the steering wheel. I REALLY fit my cars and they fit me now.

Attached Files:

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The OP means personality wise. Not convienance or size.