Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does this sound like a scam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26TCoupe, Feb 27, 2007.

1. 26TCoupe

26TCoupe

I am selling one of my cars and the following is an email that was sent to me regarding the car. Does this sound like a scam? Certainly I will be proceeding with caution, but is there anything in particular I should be watching for? I have never dealt with overseas sales before. Any advice you guys can give me would be great!

"Thanks so much for the reply and just to let you know that i am not in the position to make call right now cos my phone don't have the permision to make international calls, so you don't need to worry once we conclude on everything i will locate a local pay phone station to give you a call, but am really okay with the details i got from the web site and its really my taste.
    Really just to let you know that as for the payment, i will be paying with a Certified cheque drawn from a local bank in United State and as for the shipping i will handle that myself by contacting my international shipping agent to really handle that for me. Also can you help me send more pics of the car? If you can please do and if you can't, you don't need to worry yourself.
    Really I based in Oslo Norway where i work as a Minner but originally from Wales (Dad from Wale and mum from Oslo Noway). As for the price i will want you to let me know the best price so that the payment can be sent. If you are okay with me, then you can mail me back and let us conclude on everything today.
    Thanks so much"

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

SCAM!!!! PLay along and get a check.

[​IMG]

No, it isn't any good.

3. As long as he sends the money first and you get it cashed,i wouldnt worry,thing is,is he willing to do that?

4. Problem with that is sure they will cash it but 3 weeks later when they discover the cheque is bogus you are responsible. If it smells like shit its usually shit......

5. pitman

pitman

He's interested, otherwise how would you explain the request for more photos?
    As long as the cheque clears, completely clears...he's not asking for any kickbacks. The states are seen as the source for many cars not available elsewhere I'd guess.

6. 53burb

53burb

Does a bear shit in the woods? KNUX!

7. wvenfield

wvenfield

It's NOT going to clear and then you are stuck with bad check charges.

8. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Watch your ass ....
    Its a scam............
    THE CHECK WILL CLEAR AND YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY THREE WEEKS LATER .................
    After it bounces................

9. GTS225

GTS225

Way too many red flags for my tastes, too.

Roger

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

You want to ease your mind you aren't missing out? He asked you for the best price. Quote him a price $1000 more than you are asking. He will say "O.K., I send you that plus $4000 extra for shipping" "You forward the shipping to...........".

11. He said he was a minner (sic). Ain't that bait?

12. 3Mike6

3Mike6

Heck...why go up a grand? Tell him you just got another offer for 30-40K more...

Ask him if he'll match it.

I like to play with them too.

13. 47bob

47bob

Just clear the check first, get the cash if it makes you feel better then and only then release the car. Ive never seen a check clear then bounce.

14. They don't bounce, they turn out to be counterfeit.

15. solo_909

solo_909

yeah i got alot of those posting a car for sale on myspace. its a scam!!

16. wvenfield

wvenfield

Which is what a buddy of mine did. He was selling a BMW for 13K and a Porsche for 35K. They got the BMW ad and when they asked for best price he gave them the Porsche price.

They sent the check. (No, it wasn't any good either)

17. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Just make sure the check is ok.
    Have your bank verify that it is ok.
    Still hold the car for 30-45 days to be sure.
    Recheck with your bank that the Cash is there.
    Then send the car.
    Not a minute before. Lots of snow this time of year and he's not going to be driving anyway.

18. Burny

Burny

SCAM! If he can't get to a phone to contact you, it's because he doesn't want to. You could set yer price, get the check and take it to the bank--- tell him it could take 3 weeks to clear. An other way would be to use an escrow company, like they offer on e-bay. Honestly though, it seems like a scam.

19. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

The guy sure talks and spells a lot more like a Nigerian scammer than a Welch miner or even a minner!!!

20. NC Hammer

NC Hammer
    from NC triad

Does this sound like a scam? Does the Pope shit in the woods? Yeah , I went thru this with some overseas third world scumbag who wanted to send me payment thru a Walmart money transfer.Here's how it works; He sends you a transfer(or cashiers check,or Int'l money order. You cash it, ship him the "goods", and 3 weeks to 6 months later , you are contacted by the party who cashed it (bank) and told it was a counterfeit document and you're screwed for the face amount PLUS any additional charges and possible fines and legal entanglements. Refuse any further contact with this fish head eatin' douchbulb. NC Hammer

21. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

www.ebolamonkeyman.com

check out this site, it is not necessarily work friendly. But it will give you some great ideas on how to mess with this guy.

IT IS A SCAM 100%

22. Hell, do like the scammers do---tell him on international sales you only accept wire transfers thru Western Union.
    You'll never hear from him again......

23. silent rick

silent rick

any hambers from oslo want to check this person out? ask him for his address, tell him you have friends in country

24. 19Fordy

19Fordy

SCAM, SCAM, SCAM. Tell him you are a FBI agent working INTERPOL on international fraud cases and that an agent will be contacting him shortly.

25. Lot of advice here. You want the best? Just forget about it. Anything else you do is a waste of time.

26. 36--Coupe

36--Coupe
    from chitown

Its a SCAM, there was a article about this type of Scam a few months back I'll see If I can find it and send it to anyone interested. They say they are having trouble with the exchange rate and they will send you a check for more than you want for the car and want you to send them the differance or something like that.

36RRC

27. Tore

Tore

I`m from Norway, give me his name and I`l see if he exsist....

28. RodLand

RodLand

Never sell car to miner.:D

29. monsterflake

monsterflake

a lot of cars go to scandanavian countries, but most of the scammers don't claim to be from norway. give him the benefit of the doubt, re-post this with a request for norwegian hamb help...

30. monsterflake

monsterflake

see, that's what i'm talkin' about... :)