Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does this look like F@#$%^& junk......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sinister13, Jun 24, 2007.

1. sinister13

sinister13

......Or can a person that knows what their looking at tell that this truck is just in the begining stages of a hopefully some day cool hot rod/shop truck. Reason i'm ranting is because that every time I go somewhere like to the parts store, some dummy says "thats a cool rat rod huh...", and i reply with something like "well its more like unfinished truck, or yeah its rusty, but i dont consider it a rat rod i guess." One guy actually said "how fast will it go before it falls apart?",... in frustration i said, "i dont know why dont you go find out...":mad:, stupid answer i spose, but my point is that does it look like i'm building a piece of s#@* or does it look more like i took my time so far to make a solid driver and actually put forth some effort into what i did? I guess the mass public think that if they see something like this that because its weathered and rusty and has parts over 40 yrs old on it that it must be unsafe and must be crappy, not enough people out there that understand that builds like this are nothing new just done with a different method in mind and with modern tools in modern day to maybe relive the past. Oh did I mention I hate stupid people, and yet they keep breeding. Thanks i'm done.

Attached Files:

2. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

stupid people will breed man, i love the people that say, "wow thats cool!" and then they reach to touch the headers.....do they really look like handles?! but yeah...youre gonna get the rat rod comments. i just let it go. the general public sees our cars and to them it doesnt matter what the build looks like. it if fits the "idea" it is automatically a rat rod to them. frankly i get it alot from kids, it did bother me, but at least they are interested. i could give a shit what anyone calls my car, i know that i built it, and that i did the absolute best with what i had. rat, hot, cool, crap, whatever you wanna call it i have too much blood sweat and a few tears into my ride to care what people think.

BTW, i dig your truck!!!

3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

You clearly care too much what other people think and say.

Further, you have a truck with plenty of rust on the outside, and wonder why members of the largely-uninformed public might think that it is a piece of junk.

Grow a thicker skin, or budget some for bodywork and paint.

4. Who cares what other people think,you are the one with the cool "unfinished hot rod"!;) I wish mine was driveable.

5. Boynamedsue

Boynamedsue

by now ive learned if the paint isnt glossy its a rat rod to everyone

6. zgears

zgears

full fendered late 30's -40's truck as highboy? rat rod? = Yes

if this was a model a/b i could see your point.

7. j conrad

j conrad

the general public is made up with retards , so who cares what they say ,very cool truck finished or not .

8. BISHOP

BISHOP

Im sure the folks that call it a rat rod dont mean any harm, all the magazines call anything without paint a rat rod. I was lookin for somthin on the bay, punched up "rat rod". Everything from a 79 Caddy, to a bath tub was a rat rod. So dont take it to heart, Its main stream lingo now.

9. Muttley

Muttley

Stop talking to people.....................it works great.

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

At least you don't have to answer the guy who says "How fast will it go".

11. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

I like the proportions.

12. Lets see... no trans tunnel, rust holes, brake line rubbing on your wishbone, bottom 8" of your grille rusted off, tie rod too close to the frame (or no front suspension travel) and your steering arms backwards so it screws up your front wheel turning radiuses every time you turn a corner... Not to mention no room in your bed to haul anything, single carb/Caddy aircleaner and airbags...

Yea, I'd call it a RAT ROD.

Sam.

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm gonna have to agree with samIyam to a certain degree. no gauges. no trans tunnel, no bed floor... who's to say what it is. for every person who is in progress and hates the term RAT ROD tagged on thier ride there are 10 with the same unfinished items who get all pissy at civillians who ask when they are going to finish thier car.

(not saying you are all pissy)

they exclaim to the commoner "IT IS DONE BUTTHEAD" then they come here and explain how cool they are and how common people don't understand.

RAT ROD has evolved into a build style with no paint or other cosmetic items.. I'd say it no longer equates to a shit build as far as quality of work. I wouldn't worry about it.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

...cool truck. nice stance. put a floor and gauges in it.

15. ratman

ratman

First off I like your truck make sure you post some pics when its finished.
    When rat rods first came onto the scene I have to admit I liked what I was seeing from the point of veiw SOME of the ideas and styles were fresh and outside the square to the more traditional rods.
    For this reason I started to build what was going to be my rat rod.
    I soon discovered that I wanted to finish things off to a good standard and as time passed I noticed visitors that were fellow rodders went from saying rat rod to hot rod as the build progressed.
    I believe that this is where the mith of the rat rod came from.
    They were simply cars that were put on the road at an early stage and were finished and improved upon as time and money allowed.
    I have included a pic of my car as it was a couple of months ago.
    Without paint it looks like a rat rod.
    It is now painted and surprise surprise a hot rod appeared.
    Do what makes you happy and enjoy your ride.
    I was told by guys on this site not to paint my car purple as it would look gay.
    Guess what I must be a ragging Homo as its bright purple and I think it looks way cool.

Attached Files:

16. hatch

hatch
    from house

Nice ratrod....How fast does it go?.....would you trade it for my 59 Rambler fourdoor?...Do you have any tattoos????

17. 61 chevy

61 chevy

yes, thats looks like a rat rod, and a nice one

18. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Not many years ago, someone would have said "cool jalopy, what color is it going to be when you are done?" Jalopy, rat rod, beater, whatever............don't really matter does it?

19. Deucecoupe

Deucecoupe

Yeah, like he said.

20. Haywood

Haywood
    from M'boro,TN

Welcome to the club! I've heard the same comments about my truck from Johnny Public. Usually when asked about the truck, they will stop me mid sentence and ask "are you gonna put shiny paint on it?" I say no and they say "well then, it's a rat rod!":confused: I just change the subject. My wife said it best... if you build it to be safe and pay attention to detail, it will set it apart from the rest of the ratty ones.

Here's my "call it what you want" truck:

[​IMG]

I have to tell you though, I get it from both sides. The second truck is going on a S-10 frame. Why? Just to see if i'm skilled enough to do it! ....but now the guys ask me "what's wrong with the original frame?" Again..... build what YOU want and build it the best you can.

...just my 2 cents!

BTW.... NICE TRUCK!!!!

21. chopped

chopped

Nice rat rod. I'm going to look at a 36 Ford to do the same way. I already have a rubber rat thou.

22. ratso575

ratso575

sinister13 ,
    that is a way cool truck !
    don`t take what other people think of your ride to serious , most are jealous , clueless , stupid or think they are being funny ....... go out for a drive today , think back of the day you brought your project home and where you are today ...... enjoy the day !

23. Hey sinister, you know how to get people stirred up too (see sunday lesson).

I also have a '36 Chevy lo-cab, although in basket form still. Lookin' at your's and plowboy's makes me realize why they called 'em that, they really don't need to be chopped!

Nice proportions, but what kind'a old car did that air cleaner come from?

24. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Yeah, I'm with Sam too...It's a fit and finish thing. Rat Rods always look like something some one threw together with no intention of finishing it. Welds left unground, raggedy rusted body panels left as-found (not trimmed off, with the rusted area cut out--giving at least the appearance that it's going to be repaired), busted parts left on the car, etc.
    For instance, how much effort would it take to remove that bracked on the cab with the three busted lights on it? That might as well be a big flashing neon sign at eye level that says "RAT ROD!"
    Someone else posted that "in the old days" people would have said nice jalopy and whatever, and what color is it going to be when it's done.
    A) nobody every said "nice jalopy." "Jalopy" was synanomous with "junk." It was an insult.
    B) nobody asked what color it was going to be when the car is covered in hairy rust with body panels rusted away. They asked what color it was going to be when the body was in primer. With the body in primer, custom stuff was still being done to it. Nobody drove a car that looked like it was just pulled out of the swampy back 40, and called it a hot rod.

Floors, gauges, trans tunnel, ratty headers, ungound welds, busted parts left on it, and rusted panels that look like they were just picked up off the ground and put on.

What is it you want people to say? And more importantly, why are you upset/surprised when they look at it and think it's a ratty old hot rod?
    Brad

25. Anderson

Anderson

And with what appears to be a nylon strap holding the drivers door shut, I'd have to completely agree with sam.

26. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Yes its a ratrod...

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know a couple guys that call every fenderless hot rod a rat rod. Who gives a fuck? Not me. An asshole by any other name is still an asshole. Let em be. Enjoy your truck. We do.

28. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

The fact that you can weld should put poeple off the rat rod idea!

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Bingo....