Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does this girl need a new dress?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DICK SPADARO, Oct 23, 2009.

1. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Ok, fall is here and its time to move into car building hibernation. This old truck has been at my shop for about a year with good intentions to be the new shop truck. I know the 1 ton axles are going to hit the scrap pile, the dilemma is that the deteriorated paint fits a nice old patina but if it's the shop truck should this girl be dressed up with new paint? Also since everyone likes a little input, hopped up 4 cylinder or flatty V8? Wanted for this is an express wagon right rear fender. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. silent rick

silent rick

i think i'd paint it, it looks like it's gone past the patina stage. tough call on the mill, i like them both.

3. jangleguy

jangleguy

Looks like a fun project, Dick! I'd like to see one with a dually set-up out back. Whip up some rear fenders and fill the bed with product. As for drivetrain, I'd go with an overhead/overdrive combo and hit the highway. Will be interesting to see what you do with it. Good luck and have fun!

4. Late model 4 banger with auto trans.

5. Flathead and paint. Gotta keep up the corporate image you know!

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

She needs a white alter top and cut off blue jeans!

7. woodbox

woodbox

How could you go past this style, with or without the new dress.
    [​IMG]

8. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

4 banger w/stuff, paint and powder.

9. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

I'ld go with a flathead. As far as the paint goes, I'ld paint it but that's because I tend to not be the trendy type and I like shiney. However, if you like the "patina" thing, at least you have the real deal and not some cheezy faux patina. If you do everything else and leave the paint to last, by then the 'patina' fad will have ended (hopefully) and you can paint it with no second thoughts.

10. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Dick,
    Since you are using it as a shop truck, I'd use the V8 flathead for the added power with which to haul around the parts. Paint the truck. You want the customers and potential customers to know that you are a class act (which you are) selling quality parts. I speak with experience, since I bought a bell housing from you off eBay. Good guy to do business with.

11. Paint, dualies, flathead.....Good to go. By the way, got my flyer in the mail, Thanks

12. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Why not an old Y block V8, 4 speed, dually rear and "modest" paint with your shop logo on the doors

13. Shane T.

Shane T.

Washington blue with black fenders. Fuel injection on a 352 backed by a 5 speed auto. Dually rear.

14. chop&drop

chop&drop

Flatty and paint.

15. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

yup even if you just run it in primer give her a new coat

16. Anderson

Anderson

Man, take come CLR to that paint and see how much of the rust you can scrub off. There's still probably some paint left underneath, maybe enough to even make it presentable!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  17. Nice industrial color like grey or khaki so your logo will stand out, black fenders, flatty with a 5-speed and dual rear wheels.
    Brett

18. squirrel

squirrel

Looks like a nice truck for someone else to leave the paint as-is....hmmmm.....

19. On The Samba there was a thread that went on forever discussing patina & how to preserve it. There were some busses that looked to be pretty much solid surface rust that, when doused in some kinda rust-eating "wash", revealed decent paint underneath. It may have been CLR.

Some looked worse than your truck Dick. Your paint scheme is cool. Would be neat if you could save enough of it to make it presentable on the street. I'd try to find a "rust-eating wash" that doesn't hurt the paint. If it works well, I'd then shoot it in a flat or satin clear to keep the rust away.

EDIT: Found the thread. It's OT as far as the cars go (loaded with VW's so if you hate 'em either don't look or keep it to yourself) but the info might help some who may be concerned with their original paint/patina.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...ostdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=clr&start=0

JH

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  20. flatford39

flatford39

Dick,

I am looking for a right rear for mine as well. They are next to impossible to find. Lefts seem to be a dime a dozen and most guys want to sell pairs and won't break them up. I am painting mine and sticking with the banger & it will be used as my shop truck as well.

21. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Paint is a must for that fine shop truck ! Looking the way it is won't give your business the justice that you want . Sorry but you did ask and I will always give an honest answer !

RetroJim

22. does a bear poop in the woods? paint it and flatty.

23. Squablow

Squablow

I would at least give a try to the paint derusting/preservation. The paint job on that thing, with the V8 on the door and the two tone, is really cool, would be neat if you could save it.

If it comes out looking like shit or too rough after you've tried, then you'll feel a lot better about it when you have to sand it off. What have you got to lose?

In my opinion, there's nothing lamer than a shop truck that's so restored and detailed that nothing can ever get hauled in it. If you do repaint and restore it, don't get carried away.

24. ...I wouldn't touch that "paint" myself, good luck with it however yo go.

25. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Dick, I agree with the CLR treatment for that particular truck. If it was just a farm truck, I'd say paint it (with a flathead), but since it has actual history and some paint visible from its days as some kind of Ford dealer truck, it would be worth the time to see how it will come back to life.

And if you don't want to wade through 65 pages of VW postings (sorry Fidgeter), look at this thread and scroll down to the '59 El Camino to see the CLR in action.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/216032/fromsearch/1/hl/patina/tp/2/

If it doesn't look good, then paint it. But at least you will have tried. I would not leave it as is though. Definitely try the CLR.

26. I would say paint it.Customers don't want to think you are Sanford & Son.Hop up the 4 banger.

27. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

That truck has a cool old paint job on it. I'd go with nice paint but restore it to the paint scheme it has now. I'm also liking the dually idea with a Y-block. That would make for one killer shop truck.

28. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

leave the paint it has

29. Definitely don't paint it! CLR it, work your shop logo in with the original lettering left on truck. then age the fresh paint (sandpaper, scotchbrite, etc.). An aged truck with a company logo gives the image of an established, from-the-beginnings hotrod establishment. As far as the drive train, a flathead would be so appropriate, with a 5 speed to help on the highway. i would definitely machine something up to keep those rims on it.

30. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

Do not paint it under any circumstance! Just clean it up a bit.