Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does the HAMB really need another 392 Hemi swap thread?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog_Patch, Mar 11, 2012.

1. First things first - the thread line was stolen from Big A - the ideas for the motor mounts are stolen from Bass. :) Flattery in imitation or something.

Here we go. The 330 Desoto is sweet but more is better right? The Desoto ran a best of 13.5 seconds @ 101MPH. Awesome engines but small valves and not a lot of cam choices. If I could find a 392 that would be the BOMB!

This is where the swap part comes in.

[​IMG]

My ace machinist Johnny Thomas is a Chevy guy through and through. So why did he have a 392 on his shop floor for months? After many pesterings and cash offers he caved in. The agreement was $1500 for the engine and he does the machine work.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. Got the heads and crank home. Time for research an $$ saving.

[​IMG]

Johnny started on the block to see where we stand piston wise.

[​IMG]

The block is done (months have past now ). The rear main seal is the rubber kind from Hot Heads. Was looking for a rope seal, but this looks like it will be ok. The seal comes with some cardboard that is used to take up the space in the cap. So in it goes.

[​IMG]

3. A little close shot - AND - there needs to be an oil bypass plug here and also a pipe that acts as a dowel. There are lots of books and build threads on the finer points - I am just trying to show the trials and tribulations of my swap.

[​IMG]

Lay in the crank!

[​IMG]

4. Next after a lot of back and forth about the rods and pistons, Johnny wanted it to be bullet proof. The rods are KB1 rods and the pistons are Ross forged 9.5:1. These pieces are a thing of beauty and too bad they are buried in the engine.

[​IMG]

5. Next its on to the ring gaps. These are Childs and Alberts Dura Moly. Top ring is .016 and second was .012.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a little pop up there.

[​IMG]

6. Johnny re-worked the heads with stainless steel valves, hardened seats and new springs and retainers. And it should be noted that I almost sucked a valve in the Desoto from using old valve retainers - never use old retainers. So I learned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now just for fun - :D

[​IMG]

7. Using a stock 392 oil pump ... hmmm more on that later.

[​IMG]

Using a Hot Heads front cover and BBC water pump to save 3 inches in front.
    [​IMG]

Here we go! The Desoto is out.

[​IMG]

A plastic mock up block is an awesome thing.
    [​IMG]

8. Now comes the hard part. The Desoto is narrower and shorter than the 392 - even at the motor mounts. I had a feeling this was going to be the case. New mounts are in order.

[​IMG]

9. This is where I give a bow to the master - BASS! I saw him do this several years back and made the Desoto mounts. It worked then it should work now.

First thing make the paper pattern and plasma out 4 identical pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. HammeredAbone taught me this trick. Drill all 4 and run a bolt through them, then grind the whole stack at once.

[​IMG]

11. Then grind and grind and grind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do a test fit. This needs the real engine to get it right. And need to order up some bigger DOM.
    [​IMG]

12. This is about all that can be done with the plastic block.

[​IMG]

Time to get the real engine and trans in place. The only things that will swap over from a Desoto to a 392 are - the bell housing, the flywheel, the starter and the oil filter adapter thing was moved over.

Here I am checking the runout to see if the bellhousing is cocked. The spec in the clutch paper work says .003" I came up with .005" . Probably should try and fix this. For now I am gonna run it. See what happens.

[​IMG]

This is the flywheel from the Desoto - its a Wilcap. It needed turned. All those days at the track were not too kind to it. Looks good now though!

[​IMG]

13. Woohoo! Scored a new clutch and pressure plate from LAYDRAG :D He bought it for his Vette that he blew up and never used it. We swapped the plastic 392 for the clutch and pressure plate. Now I have more room too :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sticking it in for a trial fit - fingers crossed.
    [​IMG]

14. BashingTin

BashingTin

Looks Great! Get some off-set dowels to fix the bell housing run-out issue. Your machinist should be able to get you some. Their cheap.

15. Much noodling was done here.

[​IMG]

Finally decided on a spot to stay with.

[​IMG]

Time to tack in the mounts. Carl came by just in time to help out.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the hand dude!

[​IMG]

16. Now some the real time can be spent on the welder and grinder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Secret tip - this is Easy Grind wire. Hard to find anyone who sells it, but for filling in and grinding off its awesome.

[​IMG]

This is better done with a roller, but Joe's roller wouldn't even start a curve. Tudor loves torches so this was his suggestion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Worked pretty good!

17. Weld weld weld grind grind grind.

[​IMG]

Better than going to a shrink. (head shrink)

[​IMG]

18. Time for the speed holes we all love.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

ah... so this is how it came together... exciting stuff.

:D

-W

20. Then just weld in some nuts so the motor mount disk can get bolted to the frame. I had to fill the holes in my frame where the Desoto was mounted and drill new holes a little ahead of the old holes.

[​IMG]

Voo wa la! This was the most time consuming part of the swap. Glad that's over.

[​IMG]

Got these off Ebay - brand new - not sure for what brand as they are too long for a 392. They worked ok with 2 rubber gaskets.

[​IMG]

21. Next problem - stupid water neck points the wrong way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not suitable for chrome but not sure this is going to work anyway so ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The alternator is hung. Its really fat though. If I moved it to the axle or rear end housing the radiator could move back almost 2". So for now the water pump pulley gets a spacer and the radiator mounts move forward.

[​IMG]

22. Now for the carbs. The 330 was running the Eelco intakes and the 392 is going to run Edelbrock hope all this moves over smoothly.

[​IMG]

This is the good hose to use on the log manifold balance tubes.

[​IMG]

How did they do this back in the day? Holy cow what a pain in the ass!

[​IMG]

Reset - BigA was giving me shit for having a dirty work bench. Thanks for the motivation. :):):)

[​IMG]

23. The 94's were running 48 jets on the 330 engine and the plugs were a little dark. I figured upsizing to 51 would be enough. After a few engine test runs it was still lean. It currently up to a 61 jet and the plugs are finally getting some color.

Power valve size was 4.5 before and dropped to 3.5 now. I'll see how well that works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got these cool pipes and baffles from Matt at Lakesheaders.com . Super fast service and the baffles actually work. At the track I can unbolt and slide them out.

[​IMG]

Good looking pipes!
    [​IMG]

This is the 340 Mopar electronic distributor. It is a drop in for a 330 , but not for a 392. The shaft need lengthened for a 392.

[​IMG]

24. The eltronic module on the bottom of the distributor is a Junkyard Genius upgrade. Works like a champ. I can't find the link to the instructions anymore though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost ready to fire - but never fails. One of the engine mounts wasn't centered and needed some re-work. This shit don't just happen.

[​IMG]

Fire up day!

[​IMG]

25. Circus Bear on the timing light. Is he wearing slippers in February?

[​IMG]

26. Nothing left to do but pull the pan. I wasn't going to do it that night - but you know Carl never stops. Off with the pan!

[​IMG]

27. After pulling the NOS from the 70's pump out and looking it over, I noticed the plug was not very tight. I was robbed! No spring. Someone stole the spring long ago and I missed checking in there during the build.

[​IMG]

Anyone building hemi's has to have a parts pile, so an old pump gave up its spring and away we go.

[​IMG]

28. Then the finishing touch! Vertex Mag from 1962 :D

[​IMG]

See you all at Billet Proof Florida on Friday! 450 miles each way!

29. Great find on the oil pump.