Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does the general public react when they see you out driving?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, May 27, 2008.

1. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Ditto on what has been said, but what I really dig are the older folks who stop to tell me about their ride in a rumble seat like what I have when they were young.

Had it happen today as a matter of fact.

2. Judd

Judd

I was headed home a couple of months ago and a cop headed the other way hits the lights and does a u-turn to pull me over turns out he just wante to check the Comet out. Get thums up and he does it have hydraulics question. The late model Mustangs seem to have to try and race (?) guess I need to get some street tires that hook up.

3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you would def get a positive reaction from me, My dad used to love those cars and restore them when i was a kid, so i got plenty of time riding in them. If I saw an MGB GT today, I would probably have to stop whatever i was doing and go over and take pictures.

4. autobilly

autobilly

I've found over the years that in general people (including Cops) dig old cars. Sometimes it's a bit annoying, but my cars get attention most times that I go out. For some it's just because they (the cars) are different, for others it's because they "had one just the same" and the rest think they are kool.
    (My sedan is painted and "nice", my ute is a still a bit ruff.)

5. I find older folk tend to wave/smile/nod more when I drive the '51, course it is VERY red!

6. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Usually a thumbs up. Corvette guys are looking down their noses. So I give them the "OH GEE I WISH I HAD A CORVETTE LOOK" and then speed off.

7. rusty48

rusty48

A little kid ask "Is that an old car" I say yeah he says"It sure is ugly"I say thats what happens when you get 60 years old.

8. lostinthe60s

lostinthe60s
    from Midwest

I live in a heavily populated latin neighborhood....I get alot of reaction when I drive down the road.....they hang out the window take pics, and come up to me all the time....with thumbs up, gang signs , and all the hootin and howlin it makes it alot of fun...

I guess they never seen a fat, middle aged white guy drive a lowrider before....lol

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  9. A Boner

A Boner

They usually start running in all directions........at least until I get off the sidewalk and get back on the street.

10. People will come over to you at gas stations, give thumbs up when they see you driving, or point as you go by. Or ask inside a store- "who drives that car?"

It feels like such a letdown when I have to sometimes drive an "anonymous car" as I call them. I do like to be invisible every now and then, but not for long periods.

If you do NOT catch yourself turning around to look back at you car at least twice when walking from the parking lot to the store, or sometimes glancing at the storefront window reflections as you drive by, or noticing who is pointing, then you are NOT a car guy.

If you have lots of your sweat and blood in it, the apreciation means something.
    If it is mostly a checkbook or credit card car, or came from crate parts, then the compliments will not feel the same as when you know you have put in the sweat and bruises to earn it the right way.

I build mine in my own special way to please me, not to please others, but it always feels good to have others think you "did good".

You can probably guess that I am not annoyed about people "bugging" me when I stop in at different places. I don't mind it at all unless I am in a big hurry, as I often am.

11. Velomech

Velomech
    BANNED
    from nunya

my kids like to keep count of all of em. "Hey Dad, thats 22 so far!"

Cheers and beers
    Hodge

12. blackout

blackout

My car makes instant friends everywhere I go in it. At the gas station people are asking about it, thumbs up on the road, waving, honking, smiling. There is always a guy with a "I used to have a _____car" story. These are the same people who are just pricks when I am in my daily driver.

13. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

great quote that says it all, this is what makes me so mad when people trash my car because of who makes it, believe me it's was all done by sweat,no catalog parts here. car guys come in all makes and models of rides, and we all love to drive them and enjoy others doing the same.

14. ford32deuce

ford32deuce

The best was while driving alongside a freight train, as the conductor blew the horn and gave me a thumbs-up.

15. Gator

Gator

I have a '53 F100 for my daily and live in a small town. The truck is painted but a little faded - just a nice driver that's pretty much bone stock.

Seems like every time I get out I either get "I used to have one just like that" or "do you want to sell it?" I've turned down offers for way more than I think it's worth, but I don't want to sell it till I get my '40 on the road.

Just last week I was at the post office and the proverbial 'little old lady' jumps up on the running board and asks what year, etc. then tells me they used to have a '51 Chevy that was just like mine.

Sometimes it gets old - if I'm short on time or whatever - but I always try and be polite about it.

16. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

I pulled out in front of a new Carrera S this weekend and had to wrap it out a bit to get out of the way. Carrera pulls up next to me and its the owner of the local Porsche, BMW Audi dealer. He rolls down the window and says "that sounds really good".......... An exotic car guy complimenting the sound of my dual exhaust straight six was pretty cool.

17. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I get the cell phone photos out the window all the time but the topper- at an out-of-town car show in the mountains- I'm getting gas & these 2 guys pull up next to me and say my car looks just like the 32 on So-Cal's web site. Except- mine is nicer because I drive it (bugs all over it BTW).
    I told him to take another look when he gets home because it is the same car. Their expressions were priceless.

18. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i took my daughter to eat last night ,when i pulled in 2 guys came over and asked about the car..just about always some one waves or gives a thumbs up..

19. weez

weez

Dats da car Rocky rode on in Cobra, huh?

Yeah, that's exactly the look I was going for.

Was there a mandatory screening of Cobra for all lower IQ's?

My roadster used to be a tractor or a dune buggy, but I think hot rods are a little bit more back in the public consciousness now. And no one has let their kids climb on my car while I'm in the store lately.

Most people are cool about it though, and appreciate seeing something different on the road.

20. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

i get honked at a lot and waved too like im the mayor. i also find people like to cut me off.

21. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

This is what usually happens when I pull up at a redlight:

Driver in car next to me: 'blahblahblah'
    Me: 'What? I can't hear you."
    Driver in car next to me: 'What?'
    Me: 'What? Speak up!'
    Driver in car next to me, shouting: 'Your pipes are too loud, I didn't hear what you said.'
    Me, shouting: 'WHAT?'
    Driver in car next to me, shouting: 'WHAT?'

Then the light turns green and we both drive away unfulfilled.

dka

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  22. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

"Does the general public react when they see you out driving?"

Yes, they pull out in front of me.

23. daddio211

daddio211

I can't even tell you how many times I've pulled up in my '41 Ford and had people say something like, "My dad had a Deuce coupe just like that." Or a '56 Nash. Or a '28 Plymouth. Or ___insert any car here___.

Doesn't bother me too much, I'm just glad I'm sharing the love... even if they're complete idiots.

I will say I get a lot more people coming over to talk to me while driving my '41 than I do when driving my '31. I think my wife said it best, "People are scared of the A because its so damned LOUD."

I can live with that, LMAO!!!

24. olerascal

olerascal

Howdy Wiley: My daily driver is a Fiat 128...square boxy thing...very retro styling in today's world of Buck Rogers swoopiness and weird headlights. Similar experiences with commentary from laypeople...chicks especially dig it...calling it "cute". Yet, the only folks who know what it is are middle aged Europeans. It's got a non-stock edginess to it...with California Rake, steelies/beauty rings, and burble of dual Weber carbs. Freshly cut/buffed Marinara Sauce paint.

25. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

For some reason, little hispanic kids LOVE my truck. Ald old folks....70-80 year old people will wave, to the point of sverving into my lane...Guess it might have something to do with the era (1946) ,and they used to ride in one on grandpa's farm, or whatever.

26. George G

George G

You missed making some points with her! " It only happens when you are in the car honey" :)

27. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

My girlfriend says when we go drive in it she feels as if she is in a parade, people waving and giving the thumbs up. I love to hear old folk tell me how they had one or knew someone and then say a quick story on how they got in trouble or something like that. I live in a "transitional" neighborhood, another words not too many white folk, but everyone is cool, well my neighbors kids/grandkids come over when Im working on it and talk with me. I apologized to them and their mother about the noise and tools spread out but they said their father use todo the same thing in that driveway for 50 years. They said she probably loves to look out her window and see sa trucks hood up in the air. Reminds her of the good ol' days...you know we are the only generation to keep that going cause I really doubt in 50 years someone is going to have a Toyota Prius up on jacks with the rear end taken out...

I think its a good way to break the ice with people no matter what their race, crede, religion, sexual orientation or anything...it just brings people together...

28. 55special

55special
    from NC

I drive a 55 Buick that's mostly lo and slo and a little rough. I was headed up the interstate, in the middle lane, when I noticed a group of 10-12 Harley riders gaining on me quickly. I eased over to the right to let them pass but instead they slowed done and fell in behind me. Rode 4-5 miles with me until I hit my exit and then gave me thumbs up as they continued on. Enjoyed the hell out of leading that parade while it lasted!

29. . . .

It'd be nice if y'all tell us what kind of rods yer riding & gettin' compliments on. God, I hope I don't have to buy a Neon :eek: & yank the exhaust off it just to be cool! ;) Believe it or not, I've seen 'em get thumbs-up. That's scary!

30. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Mostly for my haircut not so much my car.