Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does reducer go bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usmile4, Sep 4, 2012.

1. usmile4

usmile4

I think I should change my name to "Paint Idiot" for all the dumb questions I seem to come up with.

I'm using PPG Deltron 2000 paint. A friend has 3 gallons of reducer one each of DT860, DT870, DT885 that are several years old. So my first question is does reducer go bad or should I be OK to use these?

I'm working in an old body shop garage with tons of dust and no AC, fans, etc. The forecast is for mid 80's with possible rain tomorrow with 60's at night. Today it is very humid. I want to try my hand at painting the inside moldings for my 51 Chevy. I did spray the car with primer but I have had another guy do the paint as I just didn't trust my lack of skills. But I'm thinking I would like to try learning.

My second question is which of these reducers would be the best to use given the temps and my skill (or lack of) level?

Thanks for the help.

2. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

I don't think reducer would go bad in a couple of years. Hardener that has been exposed to air is a different story.

Reducer is kinda like laquer thinner. Its stays good for a long time. Can't answer any other of your questions sorry.

3. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

The reducer will still be fine if it is well sealed. If the lid is loos, the faster thinners in the mix can evaporate leaving only the slower thinners behind. This can throw you a curve and cause sagging and slower dry than normal. Well capped reducer in metal cans should be fine.

I would also take a careful glance in the can with a small pen light to make sure the can hasn't gotten rusty on the inside from moisture

I think you'll find the material is just fine.

4. F&J

F&J

Small narrow parts should be real easy to get a great finish, as a beginner. That's because there is no need to rush to avoid dry spots, like going all the way around the car, back to where you started.

Just slow down..... and rather than put too much on each coat, wait a few minutes to see if the peel floats out.

5. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

If it's been frozen or been exposed to freezing temps (left in the shop in Winter) it will go bad. Ask me how i know (strip and repaint Harley tins :()

6. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Check if there's a PPG jobber in your area and give em a call. They should be able to tell you the shelf life of the reducer. The last 2 numbers are indicators of the temp vs reducer you should use. DT 870=70 degrees, DT 885= 85 degrees etc. Good luck!

7. MrForty

MrForty
    from Tustin, CA

I asked my local paint guy this question some time ago since I had some left over paint in a specific color I wanted to use.

He said the reducer should last a 3-5 years if I keep in in a cool place. But it can change the level of gloss from semi-gloss to semi-flat depending on the age. Not sure how true that is but I mixed a batch and shot it and it looked ok. I was not trying to color match anything.

The hardner was a different story and had turned to gel.

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Ive never had any problems with the DT reducers, hardners are the ones i always worry about...

9. ac0j

ac0j

I hate when you mistake a quart of clearcoat for hardner. And dont figure it out till the next day when the paint you sprayed is still gummy. :(

10. A dude I know painted the top of his 50 chev sedan delivery. He didnt know (why read the instructions) that it needed hardener.

6 months later (he thought it would harden) I helped him clean it off with reducer/laquer thinner and repainted it for him.
    It sure attracted the bugs and dandilion seeds... fuzzy huh?

11. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Obviously the best conditions for storage are not too hot and not too cold, but I can tell you I spent nearly 30 years working for a high quality OEM paint manufacturer and all of our bulk solvent storage tanks were outside and unheated during Midwest winters.

The cold weather isn't going to affect solvent if it is well sealed.

However, some solvents can take on water if they are exposed to the vapor in the air that is present during changing temperatures. Alcohols and other water compatible solvents are particularly susceptible to this. Again, just make sure the lids were on tight and check your cans for rust...