Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does my car say I'm cheap and easy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommy, Sep 11, 2005.

1. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Something tells me that's a BBC? pump adapted to the 392. Right? From what I can see you have plenty of room for a hot rod stainless flex fan and most likely a factory non-clutch multi-blade fan. A fan will add less than a 1/2" to the water pump pulley length. With out a shroud you want the fan to be no more than 1" from the face of the radiator which looks like you'd need a fan spacer to get it that close. What we can't tell from the picture is the elevation of the pump shaft which will determine the max dia. of the fan so it clears the upper and lower hoses. The larger the better. A quality fan shroud with a mechanical fan will impress a lot more people than an electric fan. IMHO

A good "tin knocker"...HVAC sheet metal mechanic can fab up a square to round shroud after taking a few measurments so that all the air moved by the fan has to come through the radiator. That's your best set up.

Please don't think I'm picking on you for choosing an electric fan. It's your choice but there are other options. It will be less expensive but it may rob a horse power or two. It looks like you may have an ample supply.:D

2. Tommy - I applaud you for raising the bar. The fan shroud thing just happens to be a real good example. I myself ran an electric fan just to get going quicker. It didn't work great but it was easy - it was not cheaper. After my car had been on the road for 2 years, I finally got the time and the balls to try and build a shroud and use a mechanical fan. I wasn't sure I could and I knew it wouldn't be easy. It works ten times better and was a shit load cheaper. It still isn't done but it looks better and no one can hear that shit electric fan noise.

I like your statement about looking at the "slick" parts on people cars. Its the subtle things that are done right that make a car. Nothing reeks more than something that is easily identifiable as an Autozone universal part on a hot rod. I immediately write the car down for this infraction. I do however allow for quick fixes in the spirit of just getting her done for a show. If it is still on there later - then its a problem. I am still fixing shit on my car. Stuff I got lazy with. That's why its a hobby.

3. Randy D

Randy D

I wonder how fast the olds engine at the top goes thru waterpumps?! With ZREO engineering background i have no expertise, but it would appear to have a helluva load on the pump bearing/bushing. Maybe they run the belt a little loose? Cool looking setup, however.

4. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Amen

5. 4tford

4tford

Tommy,

The mechanical fan would end up above the radiator on my application. I would need to lower the fan assembly to where the electric fan motor is. Probably some kind of bracket with another grooved pulley and a way to adjust it but I could not see a way of doing that. I would really like a mechanical fan and an elecrical fan in front for backup but that to me is not going to happen soon. I appreciate all the input, I like this site because of the experience and flat out honest opinions. Thanks