Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does it always take twice as long and twice as much?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BaBa, Apr 26, 2013.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Found 1930 Roadster body in 1962, sold it around 1976, bought it back 25 years later, NOTHING had changed, project is still underway. Finished projects are over rated. Bob

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Why would you keep track of what the cost is unless your building it for resale? If that's the case, charge everyone you meet a dollar to watch you hit yourself over the head with a sledge hammer........you'll make more money. I don't build anything anymore unless it's for my own use and during the build if I run out of money the project sits until I aquire more. During the down time I find there is always someone in need of help and if it's a younger guy just starting out so much the better. This is supposed to be fun and if your not having any by being stressed over time and money find something else to do.

Frank

3. BaBa

BaBa

and if it's a younger guy just starting out so much the better.
    Careful, we don't want to be guilty of child abuse!:D
    Seriously you guys are killing me. I thought it was gonna be DONE. Now you are telling me I'll never be done!
    Of course I've always wanted to play around with a blower...

4. Best thing is to hide the receipts or throw them away, that way it doesn't cost as much. I used to keep track of everything I spent but age has mellowed me out now I just don't give a fuck.............

5. rld14

rld14

Twice as long and twice as much?

Congrats for getting it done so quickly and cheaply!

6. Fenders

Fenders

Well there's nothing wring with keeping a book on what you buy for parts and spend on building your rod...
    I do....
    only I never add it up.

7. Idahorocks

Idahorocks
    from Spring, TX

I know I have at least twice the cost into my 34 Plymouth than originally approved by my wife 5 years ago and the car ain't even close to done. I just don't let the wife see the receipts.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My wife keeps asking me how much its going to cost to finish my Chevy II, I've been telling her "oh, around 12k" for about 4 years now. One of these days shes gonna realize I have spent at least that much over the last 4 years, and am STILL saying "oh, around 12k". I figure when that happens, there may be trouble...:rolleyes::p

9. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Usually, the "Rule of 3" applies: Estimate the money, time and difficulty to complete the deal. At the end, most of us find that it was 3 times the money, time and heartburn.

You got off cheap, bud.

10. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

hell ,stretch your build out even longer, then you tend to forget how long and how much ! when your car buddies stop asking how your project is or when you are going to be finished, definetly has taken too long !:eek::eek:

11. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

At the very least! I keep track of the parts I buy by part number in case they have to be replaced. Then I conveniently lose the receipts so I don't know how much they cost. :D

12. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

You tell us how long you have been working on it, and that your 99% finished, my question is, have you started driving it yet? If you have not made the trip around the block yet, your not even close to 99% finished.

Every time I go to the store to buy more parts, I am amazed how much things have gone up in the last couple years. I just bought another 5 lbs of grade 5 bolts, they cost almost 3x what they did a couple years ago. I'm pretty sure the longer a project goes on, its going to cost a lot more because things keep getting more expensive. If I would have known I was going to use this many nuts and bolts, I would have saved myself a small fortune if I would have bought a hundred lbs when I started this last project. I used to save up the money for parts, but when I finally had the money, the parts cost more. many of them would have been cheaper to buy them with the credit card and pay the interest rather then wait to save the money.
    Worst part is, my project is a pile of crap, I can't comprehend what something nice costs.
    At least I get to drive mine. Gene

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

NEVER add up those reciepts until you have too. I checked my reciepts one day, just for shits and grins. I didn't grin and shit myself.

14. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I track every penny down to welding gas, hardware, etc. Latest build will be well under budget but will take a couple weeks longer than planned to complete. If I didnt have to work for a living I would of been done already!

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I wish that was true. My time frame and budget definately exceed that!

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

You said it man. We should all be so lucky!

17. 51woodie

51woodie

It's the first rule of engineering:
    The first 90% of a project requires 90% of the available man hours and 90 % of the available cash. The last 10% requires another 90%. It's a fact.

18. thedrick

thedrick
    from latrobe pa

I dont feel as bad now i am at 12 grand and 3 years.. not even close to being done.. i have taken some i am in way over my head time outs

19. ChefMike

ChefMike

yep it sure does! but I don't think of the cost or the time cause I love doing what I do on my wekends

20. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Yes I had same problem But when I thought I was done all kind of little thinge went wrong you are never done lots fun Rog Mn.

21. Kansas Transit

Kansas Transit
    from Glasco,Ks

In my case it has been 3X as long, 3X as much, and I'm only half done!!!

22. walter

walter

I getting concerened know. If it take 2 X as long and 2X as much cash I am in trouble. I am already 2 X as long and 3 X the money. What I have learned is that you should by a complete car with good basic components that you can use and then build the car the way you want it. I started with a frame, ft and rear axles that need rebuilt, empty tranny case and a big dream. This has taken a lot of time to find the right parts, rebuild them, put the car togeather and take it back apart about 5 times to make certian that it will all fit, and then (where I am at know) take it apart one last time for paint and upolstery.
    Walter

23. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

A lot depends on your build quality. As others have said, if it only cost twice as much and took twice as long you got off easy. The fatal flaw is only looking at the big stuff like engine, trans, paint, etc... all of the piddly stuff adds up fast and usually eats up a lot of time...

24. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Everything seems to take me at least ten times longer than I think it should. :(:confused:

25. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

My wife saw this and said that she would be thrilled if my projects ONLY cost twice as much. I guess I run over budget sometimes!:p

26. lakester47

lakester47

It always takes me at least three times as long and triple the moola!

27. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Welcome to The Optimists Club!
    It's only natural though--we look at the world through rose-colored glasses. Who else would look at the junk we bring home and see potential???

We look at junk and see the finished product. It's only natural we'd figure we can make it there in half the time for half the money!

-Brad

28. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

A formula I have found to be accurate.
    Time..
    Say you want to do an engine swap so you figure it will take about 2 days. Multiply that number by 3 = 6 days, then go up to the next unit in time. Engine swap = 6 weeks.

Money...
    Say tou figure $3000 for your project.
    X 3 = 9,000
    next unit of measure
    = $90,000
    This is not that unrealistic of a figure when you count tools, power, supplies, literature and your shop time.

29. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

30. pointer-1

pointer-1

I figured it would take me about a year and I had a good idea of the cost involved after the start. If you think that retired means you are not still working wrong again!!! I have installed a kitchen for the neighbor built several cabinets for the daughter-in laws, etc,etc, and still put 3 or 4 hours a day on the car. As I see it now 2 years will be the least amount of time at my present rate but I am aiming to have the 49 drive-able in Spring of next year. The budget is busted and I won't compromise quality at this point. All fun though and it keeps me wondering who is that old man in the mirror??:D:eek: