Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does having a Hollander help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BlackFlag, Apr 7, 2006.

1. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

For the people out there that have Hollander manuals, do they help much in finding certain parts? Both me and my father have had difficulty at times finding certain parts and Im thinking about investing in a Hollander that covers my car. So are they worth it?

On a side note, it would be really cool if someone could scan the pages for a 59 galaxie and 67 lincoln continental.

2. Lucky77

Lucky77

If you're always going to be working on that type of car I could see having one. Other than that between the internet, this site, dealerships, and junkyards you should probably be able to find out what you need to know. I have a 9th edition Hollander that covers mid 1920's-1940. It's cool for pre-war flathead interchangability and V-12 Lincoln stuff, but I got it for free and I don't know how much they cost?

3. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

I have several that cover from 35 to 87 and have access to later ones and find them all very usefull at times. But I own and/or work on lots of stuff as well as do a lot of hauling of interesting stuff from the 50-60's era.

The ones up to the 70's in particular are very helpful with many swaps as they detail what has to be done to make a 55 transmission X fit in a 65 Y for instance. Lots of info on splines, input shafts, gear clusters, axle lengths, clutches, etc, which in particular makes my life easier.

4. Crestliner

Crestliner

I have 10 within reach and won't do the parts thing without them. Happy to help HAMB members when I can.

5. The new ones are expensive ....even printed from right here in my home town.
    I have one new set in the house..and a near complete set of used/greasy and abused in the shop... they are a bit tricky to use at first ... You really can't just pull the year and model out for a scan or copy as the whole book is interwoven for all parts and all surrounding years, models and brands.. factory part numbers are the basis for some stuff and the could fit factor is not always what is explained or shown.

I felt relying on parts houses(kids..:( "That got a/c?") and the unwilling junkyard jockeys.(some are reading challenged) to try and figure this stuff for me.... was the reason for getting a set for myself...
    The used sets can be found at swaps and older mechanics out of biz auctions ... go ahead and buy all their old books and sell off the unneeded
    If you stick to the older years editions the newer car mechanics are not interested very much ...

The money spent here removes all the guesswork...you know what car has what just looking at a row of junk cars and where to look harder and deeper.. or what numbers on a part at a swap/sale you don't want..and the b.s.

Before I had these I studied Motors manuals labor guides as they had some cross referance numbers and were good with engine parts.. but most folks did not hang on to the labor guides part of the set...old labor prices were out of date almost as soon as they were printed..

You won't need a whole set right off and they are broke down to cover a few years around your specific vintage..

Good luck hope you find out what you need..