Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does anyone sell reverse-thread bullet lugnuts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dandingo, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Dandingo

Dandingo

I bought a set of bullets from a guy on the HAMB and I went to put them on today only to find out that my driver side wheels are reverse threaded. Does anyone know where I can find them or if they're even offered? I only need 10 and I'd be willing to trade if anyone had some. Thanks everyone...

2. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

I think you would be better off spending a few bucks and an hour or so putting standard (not reverse) lug studs back on your ride. What happens if you are somewhere between here and there with only one parts store for MILES, and you have to have lug nuts. You think they will have reverse thread?

3. Dandingo

Dandingo

I'm not too worried about breaking multiple lugs on one trip out to the middle of nowhere but thanks for the heads-up. I'll look into how much effort it takes to do it.

4. Squablow

Squablow

I tried to get some from one of those wheel gypsies that comes to all the car shows with all the lugnuts and center caps and shit. He told me that no one makes a reverse thread bullet lug, he showed me what they had for reverse thread ones, nothing but ugly shit. So my '55 Dodge is gonna get 10 new regular studs so I can run standard rotation bullet lugs. My '60 Fury is gonna have to get the same shit too. More work but ya gotta do what you gotta do. Plus, sounds like you already have the lugs....

5. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Its pretty easy to change out the studs, and I'd recommend that. I could tell you a story about two drunken 18 year olds trying to change a flat on a 56 Dodge... By the time we figgured it out, Jimmy was spittin' Chicklets....

6. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

try the lugnut king i seen him at various swap meets he should have a web site i would think, hes got alot of various lug nuts and should have what your after.

7. Dandingo

Dandingo

Thanks for the feedback & quick responses, guys. You're right, Squablow. I'll probably end up just switching 'em out with standard threading since I already have 'em.

8. Swopped the drivers side ones on my '63 Plymouth for 'regular' studs & lugnuts...

9. Bugman

Bugman

get 5/8" lugnuts, have some insert bushings made that thread into the lugnut, and have a 1/2" reverse thread in them. Way more work and cost than it's worth, but you can use your original studs :D

Want a real challenge? Where do I get both standard and reverse bullet lug bolts for my '55 Ply?

10. Hat Man

Hat Man
    from Omaha, NE

You can switch them out. But as far as who sells them try Fusick. The specialize in early oldsmobile. The sell reverse thread lug nuts for about $1.50 each as well as the studs. Olds guys should already know about this place, they have lots of stuff. Fusick, 1-860-623-3118 or try www.fusick.com

11. Dandingo

Dandingo

Who would I go to to switch them out? I'm guessing a tire or alignment place? Thanks again...

12. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

try

lugnut king
    10765 bennett ave
    fontana ca. 92337
    909-376-8011

13. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

as said again lug nut king

14. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Dandingo,

You're gonna wanna pull your drums and take then to a "real" automotive
    parts store/machine shop and have them pressed out. If ya go the old bfh
    and punch route, ya run the risk of warpin those drums. Also, make sure
    that they support the hub area of these drums wile pressin out the left-
    hand thred studs. New rear drums for this era Mopar are like sucker priced
    at twohundred a throw, each from Drum Garden in Gardena!

Swankey Devils C.C.

15. Dandingo

Dandingo

Thanks for the advice, Swankey, but I called the LUG NUT KING thanks to Flat Top and Man-a-fre and it looks like he has reverse thread bullets. WAY easier than pulling the drums off. I don't even want to talk about the quote I got on getting it done, either. For a $1 a bullet, I'm a happy hunter!

16. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

My father-in-law has a 1967 Chrysler Newport Convertible . . . went thru the same deal. I think they had to find a new rear drum for his because they broke one pressing the studs out. I'd like to do this to my Buick also . . . gotta find decent wheels first. :)

17. ray

ray
    from colorado

bringing this up from the dead...

i haven't seen them previously, but torqthrust.terry on ebay now has bullet lugnuts in left hand thread.

though i'd still recommend switching studs to right hand threads, but here ya go.

18. raffman

raffman

My buddy had a 69 charger back in 71 or so and switched to rh thread lugs on the drivers side rear to put some big alum slots on . Sounds crazy but he said they kept loosing up on him to the point of almost loosing the wheel! He eventually found lh thread lugs for those slots but I tell ya that story has always been on my mind as to what was going on there, did chrysler know something ?????

19. rah

rah

I just checked with my local NAPA store (10/13/10) and they sell them. It is odd that if the drums were switched to the opposite side, the nuts would loosten as you drove.

20. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

I think it was more like the guy installing the rh lugs didn't know something. Not putting your buddy down, but we've all done stupid, or wrong things. Maybe he had the wrong studs, didn't seat them properly, wrong lugnuts for the wheels, improper torque, ect. Anyway, I seriously doubt the problem was switching form lh threades to rh threads.

21. 62rebel

62rebel

MotherMopar used to believe that lefty-loosey worked it's evil on lug nuts and created the LH thread stuff to counteract it. i can't say when they quit it. sort of like walking through the mall swinging a cat by the tail to keep elephants away. i NEVER see elephants at the mall..... so it must work.