Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does anyone remember the car or truck that "Scared the Hell" out of you as a kid??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motorhead711, Mar 22, 2010.

1. lorodz

lorodz

when i was a probably about 10 or 11 my 18 year old cousin had this 65 gto he wass building i loved the car even in prime it was bad ass ..3 pot and 4 speed plus gears ..his dad used to get him all types of muscle cars ..anyway one summer day his dad was out ...and as we all know when 2 kids get together theres trouble ..so we snatch the keys pull the car cover off and jump in ...now mind you the car was a project that shouldnt have been out ..only thing to sit on was a milk crate for a passenger seat i didnt care ..so we start out down the road slow than he nails it rippin threw the gears i go flying into the rear seat ...thought i was dead ..or at least hurt ..scared the shit outta me ....never got to ride in it when completed he passed away at a young age of heart problem, so ...it was sold off ...but that car really did scare me that day,,,,

2. Well, not exactly as a kid...I was 23 and ordered a new, loaded, 66 425/427 4spd 'vette Coupe with the money I saved from 2 tours in Viet-Nam. That was (and still is) the SCARIEST ride I've ever driven on the Street. I don't know who GM thought they were kidding with the "425 HP" line, but I'll eat my hat if that car was only 425 horse...

3. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

The neighbor had a TVR griffith 200. They came with a 289 Ford V8 and the thing weighed about 1500 lbs or so.

So, take one neighbor with a cool sounding car, add the kid next door (14 at the time) mix in one "short ride" and the end result is a new set of brown tighty whities for the kid (not really but you get the point) and he never bugs you again for a ride.

Don't know how fast but I still remember that ride very well today almost 40 years later.

Cliff Ramsdell

4. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

honesly, Herbie, Christine, The Car, The duel pete, None of them ever scared me, i was kinda facinated by them. But the car that did creep me out, almost compleatly, the suburban from Final destination II. Uncle had one just like it and after watching the movie......well i didnt want a ride in it.

5. FordMaverickFanatic

FordMaverickFanatic
    from Taylor, MI

I never rode in it but my Cousin's friends Pinto...351C and no roll cage on a 94 inch wheelbase...Yikes!

As far as creepy scary, it wasn't any car but it was when they got crushed, like the Lincoln in Goldfinger and the Challenger in Gone in 60 seconds...that always made me scared/bummed/pissed for some reason

6. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

In real life, it would have to be my deceased grandfather's '49 Chevy fastback sitting in my grandmother's garage. That car is jet black and still sitting there. It's always under 2 inches of dust, and she's only got 1 really dim light bulb on the opposite side of the garage as the only light source. You could never see through the windows and that thing just looked evil.

As a kid (like 4 years old) my cousin hid in the damn car with a werewolf mask, while my other cousin coaxed me into the garage to get a Popsicle out of the freezer. Those bastards scared the shit outta me. Literally.

Now when I visit once a year I wash and wax the ol' 49 to make my grandmother happy. That car hasn't moved since I was a kid.

In the movie world, the truck from Duel was pretty freaky, Christine was freaky, and pretty much any car related episode of the Twilight Zone was freaky too. Of course when I turned 10 I fell in love with all those cars and trucks, so it's a moot point now lol....

7. STILL OLD

STILL OLD
    from tennessee

For Me it was a 63 1/2 427 ford. It was My buddy's brothers car. He was nuts,passin cars in a curve, at about 90

Buzz

8. BEAR

BEAR

i was about 10 when my step dad at the time had an old T truck with a Big Block Ford in it he had side pipes on it . i got in the truck one day he started it up back out and that was it for me i wanted the hell out of it right then and there .....scared the hell out of me

9. My Mom's driving still scares the hell out of me, but it wasn't a car that scared me most. When I 5 or 6 my Mom's friend had a Norton and offered me a ride. I don't think that I could have screamed louder or cried harder than at tht moment. Needless to say I didn't gofor a ride, man I was stupid....

10. 56 Ford f100. V8, Black, dropped nose, loud pipes and wide whites. I was 9 years old and the driver scared the crap out of me. I had never been in a car or truck that accellerated that fast... Love to have that truck now...

11. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I remember it like it was yesterday. I think I was scarred for life.
    Dad brought this home for mom to drive. Bought it brand new. Mom loved to show off her new car & insisted on driving me & my brother to school in it....................everyday.
    I thought I'd die when my friends saw me.

I even found a pic on the net of it. Gawd- it's ugly......and pink just like I remember. I'm sure there a name for the color but to a couple of young boys, it was fuckin' pink!

[​IMG]

12. seatex

seatex

The Gremlin from Waynes World.............................. just plain scary!

13. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

pretty much anything my dad and his hunting/fishing buddies drove.remember being airborn more than a few times going down back roads at mach 8...mind you these where the days when seat belts where NEVER worn...

14. Roadsir

Roadsir

That Duel truck still freaks me out. When I was a kid my neighbors mid engined corvair was a handful. In High School a drunk guy trying to impress a drunk me with a big block 69 Corvette. The front ends get real light at speed a making curves was near deadly!

15. RichG

RichG

When I was a kid there was a black hearse that drove around our town. It was probably a late '60's Cadillac I think, covered in rust. The curtains still hung in the windows, no longer white, torn and dingy. The hood ornament was a white skull with red eyes. Whoever owned it enjoyed chasing us kids around on our bikes...that damn car scared the hell out of me. After all these years, if I knew who owned it, I would go to his house and bust his kneecaps with a bat, that's how much it affected me.

16. I have an uncle who is 16 years older than me. When I was about 13, he had a '53 Chevrolet truck that had a hopped up 327 with 3 deuces. Well, before he had set the carbs up with progressive linkage, he had the outboard carbs rigged up so he could activate them by pulling a cable that was run through the firewall and could be pulled with his right hand. Needless to say, he couldn't shift the floor shift four speed, but it didn't matter as this was a temporary set up just to have some fun until he got the linkage he needed later.

Well, at 13, I thought this cable set up was pretty cool. All hell would break loose when he'd yank those outboard carbs open. Of course, there were no seat belts in the old truck. No one thought much about them back in those days. However, I didn't need 'em 'cause my ass cheeks had a death grip on that seat! :)

17. 61TBird

61TBird

I had the pleasure of riding in the "same" car.
    It wasn't Scary,just one of those "OH SHIT!!" rides that you never forget.
    A Buddy (in 1985) took me for a ride in his Dads '67 and the "stuck to the seat" feeling,the whine of an M22 and a revving 427 is the one "ride" I'll never forget.

That was a Pacer....

18. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Just when I was ready to sell mine. She's in "dry-dock" right now.

19. The big International Cement Mixer whose door I saw glide past my nose, not six inches from where I was standing, as I clowned around on the way home from school. Like slow motion.
    When I was real little most 50's- early 60's American cars looked ugly. The SCARY one was that scowling arse end of the '58 CHEVROLET. UGLY !!!

Oh yeah, that lil' white Toyota in the movie 'One Hour Photo' is a creepy thing, for sure.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

That truck in the 1971,"Duel" took on a wicked personality. Spielberg really made that truck into a monster, never once showing the truck driver's face. The truck became a "thing" of it's own.
    I was 21 and went over to my sister's apartment in Isla Vista to watch it on TV when it came out. It was a made-for TV movie, not a theater release.
    I was glued to that TV. Although I was too old to be afraid of a TV truck, that truck sure was captivating and sinister. Wonderfully made film.

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel_(1971_film)

In real life, it was a friend's Hillman...yup, a Hillman. 427 Ford, 2X4's, beefed C-6, straight axle, sky-high gasser, street driven. This would have been 1967-68, when I was in high school. We'd cruise around Pasadena Bob's Big Boy and the adjoining cities in the evening looking for other cars to size up. This was a race car. Plain and simple. There were no frills, no nothing. Aluminum interior and everything that didn't have a function was gone. High, noisy and stupid, stupid fast, even by L.A. street racers standards. The Anglia was a street car, too. I bought it a few years earlier when I was 14 for $15 from an old lady. Bob, another friend, put in a SB-Mopar/Torqueflite/Olds rear end, real magnesium Halibrands.
    Neither car ever saw a drag strip as a participant. This photo was one day in June of 1968 when we drove them to Newport Beach for the day.
    That Hillman was down right MEAN and scary.

[​IMG]

21. He He ! Funny .. All kids should walk..

22. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

When I was about five, the neighbor kid had a '68-'73 Nova, painted orange, with no hood and loud exhaust. My mother used to make me come inside the house when shed hear it coming down the street. That didn't scare me nearly as bad as my dad powershifting the LT-1 in his '69 Corvette whenever he'd bring me home from little league.

My mother still distinctly remembers being eye level with the neighbor's '50 Buick when she was little. It freaked her out so bad she still can't look at that era Buick without shuddering.

-Dave

23. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

What a bunch of little girls!!

24. Hawaiianstyle

Hawaiianstyle

25. fatmike

fatmike
    from asheville

My grandma and i used to watch "Duel." Still one of the best movies ever.

My mom and dad went over seas in the usaf when I was a kid. I stayed behind with grams and dads 61 Pontiac LeMans. Gold, with side pipes. Black hood. And "lots of carburators" cuz the ol man said so. Grams used to drive it around town. I still remember her holding the brake to the floor as it would try to sneak away at stoplights. She's in her eighties now, and she still does burnouts...

26. Abomb

Abomb

It was a local guy's 67 or 68 camaro convertible in 1984 or so. By the way, that guy has been in Hot Rod magazine for last few years, as the winner of Dragweek. The Pink 66 Chevy 2 is the car that replaced the camaro in the late 80's

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  27. In the early 80's a friend of mine had a '74 Vega Wagon with a LS 7 454 Crower Injected big block that burned alcohol , ON THE STREET !! To say it was a scary ride would be a gross under statement , when I had finished my one and only ride I was still shaking but what a rush . To this day the smell of an alcohol burner reminds me of that day. Today the car is a full out race car with a 8-71 blown injected 427 lenco shifted door slammer . Thanks Chris for that memory. Rob.

28. MaxCadillax

MaxCadillax

the 55/56 chevy from steven king's "sometimes they come back"
    Also, any car i can see under the suface of the water creeps me out...

29. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I would have to say all the cars,trucks,bike`s even the helicopter in the movie Mad Max were just evil,skull,bones you name it it was on there rides somewhere .Surprised no one has mentioned this movie

30. DMFB

DMFB

Maximum Overdrive and The Duel. Glad to see I'm not alone on that one! Those two movies had me scared of Semi's period (not just that Kenworth and Peterbuilt). I love old Pete's now, but I'm not going to lie.....I still get a little uneasy walking in front of one, haha.