Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does anyone remember the car or truck that "Scared the Hell" out of you as a kid??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motorhead711, Mar 22, 2010.

1. motorhead711

motorhead711

This may have been threaded before, but what the heck, I want to see if anyone else out there who loves hot rods and old rides had ever been "scared" of a certain type of car or truck. For me, it was simple....the big rig driven by Roy Scheider in the movie "the Sorcerer!" I had nightmares about that truck for months...I didn't really learn to appreciate that movie until I got older. That truck still creeps me out though!!:cool:

Attached Files:

2. ModelEh1931

ModelEh1931

As a little kid it was my dad's '69 corvette....sat in the garage with a cover and boxes on it....the shape of the car scared me, looked scary....my dad remembers he tried to put me in it when I was little and I would scream and cry.

3. xafalcongs

xafalcongs

One, when I was 15. A street Cobra with the 428PI mill that had been built for track duty. 4 Webers, full S/C trim, and north of 550hp. I about sh!t my pants when the owner punched it in 3rd and the whole damn car proceeded to travel 2 blocks completely sideways.....the owner was a helluva driver and to this day I've never given a "KIT" Cobra a second look. Once you've experienced an original, an imitation will never do.

4. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

The kenworth from Steven Kings Maxium overdrive

Yea, it rocked a 8v92
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C3Hi9yscAf0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C3Hi9yscAf0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

or the Pete from Duel

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ij2UplGPIGo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ij2UplGPIGo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010

5. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

That movie freaked me out as a kid.

6. the car movie christine did,thats about it!

7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Most RatRods scare the hell out of me. Especially the ones with a drive shaft for an arm rest.

8. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

9. dragass

dragass

10. Ice Cream trucks... and Clown cars...

11. My brother had a 59 Pontiac Catalina, tri-power, sitck on the tree when I was about thirteen, He picked me up from school one day and hit the hiway. 90 mph in second gear, hit third and it still pulled. Scared the crap out of me. Got him back thirty years later. Side steped the clutch on my 426 street wedge Satilite about 3500 rpm going up a very steep street in San Francisco, he thought the car was going to flip over. Karma can be a bitch.

12. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

I got scared by a real truck. It was a flatbed with those verticle posts along the sides and they rattled when the truck was moving. The truck was probably about a 1925 big truck like a White. I had to cross the street at an intersection with a blinking four way stop light. I was probably six or seven years old. The truck driver was a nice guy, he stopped and led me across the street. That was the intersection of Lombard and Union Avenue in Portland, Oregon just before World War Two. Back then it was safe to let little kids walk around by themselves.

13. Truckedup

Truckedup

Riding in the car when my mother was driving.

14. uc4me

uc4me

Anything that my older brother was driving when I was in the car

15. The cars with the red, blue or red & blue lights flashing in my rear view mirror. Did then...do now!!:D

16. finn

finn

About 1961 or 1962... guy across the street owned a Standard Oil service station on 2nd Street in Ishpeming Michigan. He brought home a a 34 Ford roadster which, I think, was owned by one of the pump jockeys at his station. The car had a sbc with 3X2 carbs and aluminum valve covers coupled to the Ford driveline. It was a patina'd Washington Blue with a white top. He took a couple of us neighborhood kids for a ride; a wild ride!

I was 10 or 11 at the time. I'll never forget it.

Never saw the car again, as the owner reportedly took it to the big city (Appelton, Wi) the next week to sell it to some city slicker.

Wonder where it is now?

Alan

17. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

Anything owned by this one particular friend of mine (who shall remain unnamed). If we ride together anywhere we all argue who gets to ride in the backseat because we figure we might not get killed back there. He drives exactly the same whether he's pulling a trailer with his Jeep or driving a hot rod, either the gas is to the floor or the brakes are.

18. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

School Bus. Need I say more?

19. nail-head

nail-head

My uncle's hemi-powered pickup...way too much power for the street and he drove it like he stole it, that back end got completely squirrely every time he punched it.

But it was a good kinda scared.

20. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

thats funny but true

mine would have to be Duel as well rusty old thing scared the shit outta me

Attached Files:

21. Labold

Labold

X2 for me but mom wasn't nearly as scarey as my big sister.

22. nofin

nofin
    from australia

^^^^^what uc4me said

One time we were driving at night in a tropical rainstorm and the wiper motor seized. His solution was to go faster:eek:!! and this was through central Sydney!!

Oh, and the TARDIS from Dr Who. My uncle has managed to mention at every family party since the mid seventies that I used to hide behind the sofa when it came on TV.

23. Norwegian 49 Mercury

Norwegian 49 Mercury
    from Norway

My Dad told me these was dangerous. Our neighbour shuffeled snow with one of those, and after my Dad told me it was dangerous I wet myself while having nightmare about them...
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

24. Mojo

Mojo

uncle's 69 AMX with a 390 that was built by a AMC drag racer. Classic 70's style, 10" wide cragars on the rear, 4" wide on the front, flushed out cherry bombs mounted right off the headers. He was driving, dad was in the passenger seat, and I was rolling around in the back (no back seat in those). That car was just stupid, it sounded like hell itself opening up when he'd floor it, and i've never been pinned back that hard by a car since then. Scarred the hell out of me, but it was a fun kinda scared.

25. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

my friends '72 chevelle........stroked small block, 500 horsepower, no power steering or power brakes, and my friend thought he was Luke Duke. Just about every time i got in that car, I was praying to Lucky St. Christopher that if i survived the ride, i would never get in the car again....

26. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

The car that scared the hell out of me as a kid was anything my dad drove home from work. I would dread seeing him pull up most days because most days I had gotten in trouble and was about to get my ass busted. :D

27. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

My Dad was an officer in the Army. Walking aroung the motorpool was the biggest thrill. Cruising around the parking lot I got freaked out by the size of the trucks. One day I came across some of the guys from the pool. They said the way to get over the fear was to crawl under this tank. "Dont worry, it wont fall on you."
    I got about 3/4 of the way through and one of em started it and revved it.I came outta there with the wide eyes and screaming that kept them laughin for years.

28. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

1973 AMC Matador Coupes, one of the creepiest front ends ever put on a car. I use to close my eyes when Mom went by one, luckily you never seen many...I wonder why. :rolleyes:

29. SteadyT

SteadyT

Uncle's 68 Camaro. Fucking Porsche Killer.

They strapped me in the back seat once and we got from Bakersfield to Ventura in just over an hour (some people had been drinking). I hated that son'of'a'bitch car when I was 4.

30. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

You read my mind! As soon as I saw this thread, I was thinking about these 2 trucks!