Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does anyone make an adjustable GM style throttle cable?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wayfarer, Aug 13, 2008.

1. wayfarer

wayfarer

I have a GM style throttle cable on my wagon, the kind with the plastic bracket that fits into a square hole to hold the ends. I had to shorten the one I had alot to work for me and I don't like the way it's working out. I'm afraid the cable will stick in the housing. Anyway, I find adjustable brackets for this style cable all over the place, but does anyone know of an adjustible cable housing? I would also take any advice on shortening the stock housing. It has ends that are molded to it, at least as far as I can tell. Otherwise, I would have just pulled the end off, cut the housing, and put it back on.

2. jhughes76

jhughes76

I would check with Lokar. They probably have something that would work for ya for a throttle cable.

3. chopped

chopped

See if a bike brake cable works for ya.

4. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

Go to West MARINE and find a 33c cable, all lengths, ends for any carb everbuilt and will outlast any auto cable. Should be able to find online too.

Jon

5. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

buy a bike cable and some cable stops.

cut stock cable near an end and pull out. cut cable housing ends off, find a drill bit the same od as bike cable housing. drill out cable housing ends to fit bike cable in but dont drill all the way through. cut some v's in bike cable housing where it fits inside cable end housing and epoxy it together.

6. vicious

vicious

go to a bike shop and ask for a "knarp" they are made by odyssey, come in pairs. it is used for brake cables it is a small piece of hex stock that is drilled and tapped for a set screw (included with correct allen key) with a perpendiculad hole to clamp the cable. flip the extra coin for a stainless MTB brake cable. also ask for 5mm shifter housing, this is linear reinforced and will not compress like brake housing or even lokar housing and is available in steel braid or black. the knarp will allow you to use whatever length you want and most bike brake cables are about 6ft long. housing should fit into factory bushings or cable ends. make sure you use ferrels. this setup should set you back about $20-$25.

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Rotor-Odyssey-Knarp-Shortnr/dp/B000AO7L8U

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008