Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does Anyone Know Anything About These Roof Racks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trumped, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Trumped

Trumped

I bought these a few years ago at an estate sale and was never really able to find anything out about them. They were long forgotten about until Sat when I unearthed them from the depths of my garage. We were having a garage sale and trying to get rid of stuff. I put them aside and figured that I would ask you helpful folks if you knew anything about them.

They are actually very nicely built and I have all the clips for the gutters and neat little felt pads that go under the feet. I always wondered about the slots in the top. What went in there? Were there lots of different attachments for them? Who knows? Has anybodt ever seen anything like them? What do they fit? When and who made them? The list of questions keeping me up at night is endless...........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I had a set exactly like that and were purchased by my Dad at Sears,Roebuck & Company back in the earl 60's.

He had them on his sedan delivery to haul ladders,,later on I had them on my Dodge van to haul water ski's because the inside of the van was full of my pals and other party staples when heading to the lake. HRP

3. I got out of the Army in '71 and bought a set just like that at Gemco I don't recall any attachments. They were cheap and weak but worked for me because I was just hauling aluminum screen doors to install for people.

4. NoSurf

NoSurf

Those holes in top look like would be used to install a piece of wood with screws in the bottom that are slightly protruding. Each rack gets two pieces maybe. Set the wood with holes lined up and then slide towards middle to "lock" in place. Possibly the wood could be upholstered and easier on some cargo surfaces/finishes.

5. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I would imagine the holes for are for tying stuff to with rope,before bungi cords and cheap ratchet straps.

6. Trumped

Trumped

These racks are really kind of beefy. They are definitely not flimsy. I tried them on my 66 Econo Van and they are way to narrow to fit. With the large rounded foot, I was thinking early 50's wagon or similar, but what do I know. I like the idea of the wood slats...

They slots may even be there "for no purpose at all". That slotted metal stock may have been made for something else entirely and the company decided to make up some racks with it. reminds me of something I discovered at the super market the other day. We have these bent wire sticks that my wife bought a few years back for weenie and marshwallow roasting. These are cheapie, store bought things. I was walking through he store the other day and happened to look over at the fly swatters. Guess what....my weenie roasting stick is nothing more that a fly swatter handle without the swatter end!