Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does anyone know anybody that makes 2" lowering blocks for a 63 Chevy Belair?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xhotrodder, Aug 22, 2015.

1. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I have a buddy that just purchased a 1963 Chevy Belair and he is considering lowering the rear end 2". He is looking for a pair of lowering blocks to install on his leaf springs but we have not been able to find anyone making them. Any help? Thanks in advance.

2. Leaf springs? On an X frame 63 Chevy? I have had 3 and they were all as the factory designed with coils in the back.

1927graham likes this.
  3. A couple pieces of 2x3 heavy wall tubing, a drill press and some longer u-bolts and you're done. Box the ends in if you want. But I also thought the 63 had coils.

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Maybe it's a '53 ...

5. Slopok

Slopok

Your friend will have a better chance at wining the Lottery than finding lowering blocks for a 63 Bel Air o_O.

gimpyshotrods and bobkatrods like this.
  6. Well if it is a car with rear leaf springs, you can buy a 2" lowering block set at Advance auto parts.

7. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

learned to drive on a '62, also owned a '61 and a '64. coil springs all around!

8. Your friend has coils, not leafs on a '63.

9. The only way to drop a 63 Chevy 2" is to cut the rear coils,they don't have leaf springs. HRP

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

HRP X2. No leaf springs on the rear of my 63 BelAir.

Gary

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

Torch.

302GMC likes this.
  12. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

13. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell no.

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

You can't cut the coils either, pigtails both ends.

16. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

For heaven's sakes, don't torch your coils unless you have a death wish mate!.
    I had my coils professionally shortened by a local spring maker for fifty bucks NZ a pair, and they are properly heat treated after resetting so they work as they should. This is the "right" way to do it. I believe in doing things myself at home for most stuff, but I have no intent to endanger myself or other drivers.
    Get a pro to do it, or if $ isn't a problem, buy new shortened ones.:)

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

Yea, I miss-spoke. Not a good idea to use a torch on coils.
    Gonna put the breathalyzer back on the keyboard...

18. Is this a test?

19. A 63 Chevy has a pretty big trunk,I would think 15 hundred lb. bags of sand could lower the rear. HRP

Tn. Trash likes this.
  20. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

LOL, or a few "healthy" friends.

Chevys had coils from 58` up.

21. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i couldn't do that--back in my "hippie" days, that was where i took my monthly bath! lol

22. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Ha ha. Guess I should have got down on my hands and knees to check what was under the rear of his car before I wrote this. My bad. Thanks for all the input guys. I'll pass the information on to him. I guess he can call Eaton Spring Company to buy a new set for it. We were just brainstorming in his driveway about his new car he bought at the Nationals this year and he asked me what it needed to make it look better. I said just lower it a couple inches all the way around and drive the piss out of it!