Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does anyone have Info on Truck Seat replacment?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUSTEE 57 GMC, May 24, 2012.

1. RUSTEE 57 GMC

RUSTEE 57 GMC
    from Tennessee

I have a 57 Chevrolet truck with the big back glass in it. I am needing to have the original bench seat recovered along with padding. Are there any other Chevy trucks say like in the 80's or 90's with a bench seat that I can use that would be a pretty much direct bolt in without the head rests? Just curious to know if someone else has done this before as well so I will not waste alot of time measuring seats from everything out there.
    Any Info is appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

The seat in my '58 is a split bench from a 70's GM passenger car, sorry I can't be any more specific. Overall width is roughly 54"...

3. RUSTEE 57 GMC

RUSTEE 57 GMC
    from Tennessee

Does anyone have any Info on what years of GM trucks that might fit my 57 Chevy with big back glass with a bench seat truck? I would also like to hear from other models of cars that might work for me as well. I would appreciate any Info to help me on this.
    Thanks in advance!

4. squirrel

squirrel

The 88-mid 90s pickup seats seem to fit ok, but I don't think it's a bolt in, you probably need to make some brackets. I'm running the stock 50s seats in mine, they work fine for me.

5. We have a 92 Chevy truck in our 57 Chevy big window. Seat tracks bolt right to the floor near the edge of the footwell on both ends. We did shorten up the height of the seat tracks about 3" to get the back of the seat out of the back window

6. That's what I think a lot of guys are using but if I remember right they are still a little wider than stock. Nothing fits quite as good as the original, it seems.

7. rear seat out of a Chevy Astro-van or GMC Safari van, thin back, seatback folds flat onto seat, very comfy.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  8. patch

patch

I put a 89 Silverado bench in my '54 and it fit perfectly ... actually opened up the whole interior. Bolted the seat to 2 peice's of 2 1/2 inch flat iron and drilled them out to adapt to the original sliders ... works perfectly.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I had a similar problem with a 1959 Ford pickup. I wanted to keep the original seat but it needed upholstery. What I did was search the junkyards for the rear seat out of a car that was as close as possible to the right width and size. This turned out to be a late 70s LTD II sedan (it was a long time ago).

I took the sedan seat apart and put the foam rubber padding on the old frame, and hog ringed the upholstery on. I had to add a little padding in the corners but it fit surprisingly well. When it was all done it looked like a stock seat with no wrinkles or ill fitting appearance. And it was as comfortable as a stock (new) seat.

This was the best answer for me. I am a tall guy and any non stock seat in a pickup seems to lose a lot of leg room.

The whole project took about a day to remove and replace the seat and change the upholstery.

There are some pretty nice seats in junkyards these days with leather upholstery and what have you. It is easy to find a back seat that looks like it was never used.

10. RUSTEE 57 GMC

RUSTEE 57 GMC
    from Tennessee

Thanks guys for all the Info! It really helps when you know what you are looking for and what I would be up against should I buy a newer seat. I just have so much going on right now that a newer seat might be the way to go until I can get to redoing the original seat. Thanks again very much!

11. Tashing

Tashing
    from Tulsa, OK

I am in a similar position as the original seat was awol when I got it. There are some good suggestions in this thread.

12. petiesrods

petiesrods

I used a bench seat from and 88 Ford Ranger. I chopped about 6 inches off the back of the of the upper frame and riveted the center slats back together. The floor mounts were raised with angle and square tubing to get my desired seat height. I even cut the original foam and upholstered in vinyl. The top of the seat sits nicely under the back glass and isn't visible through the back glass. The width of the seat matches the width between the inner steps too...looks correct. The back folds forward and you can still slide the seat up or back. Best of all, I picked the seat up for about $15 from the local junkyard and got to pick from about 5 different ones.