Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Does ANYONE have info on this old drag truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyThirty, Jul 6, 2009.

1. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Sorry its so small...my photoshop skills are lacking...
    If you need to see it bigger, I'll keep trying:(

Anyway, its in "honorable mention" on page 41 of the July Hot Rod Deluxe, top, right hand corner...Says it was at Lion's in '65. Its a '57 Ford F100, and since I'm building one kind of similar, or at least for the same purpose, I'd love details

Anyway, I'm REALLY curious to hear/see more of this truck, if anything exists, history, class, e.t.'s, engine/trans combo...

So: Anyone know who ran this thing?:confused:

Any help would be appreciated, I've been trying to make it bigger for an hour now!

[​IMG]

2. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Its a LITTLE bigger now...

[​IMG]

3. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Yup...I know him, hes one of the 10 people that post on my truck build thread!:D lol...
    His is a Y-block powered bonneville truck....
    I'm VERY interested in how this drag truck performed, and/or even came to be.
    Never seen another pic of it....

4. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Morning folks?!
    Somebody...Anybody?

5. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

I owned it for a time in the '90's. As far as I know it was built in Glendora, CA about 1964. When I originally found it in the early 80's (pictures) it had been sitting for a long time with a blown up motor. It came up for sale in '91 and I bought it. It ran a '63 427 Ford, with '62 406 heads, a vertex mag, and a home built injector set up using a lot of Enderle parts. Backed by a Torqueflite trans with an Art Carr adaptor and a 4:56 locker.

The engine was set back under the dash, and it had a home made fiberglass hood with a Ramcharger scoop.

At some it time in the '60's it was converted into an altered wheel base.

It used to race with stock steering, brakes, no windows, and only a hoop roll bar. I was told in ran in the mid 11's

I had spoke to someone from the Glendora area who remembered it running on the street. It was known as "D-dump truck"

The Ford motor was blown bad, and I couldn't afford to fix it, so it was sold. I removed the 421 Pontiac from my '57 Chevy and installed it.

I put maybe 20 miles on it and sold it to someone about 15 years ago who pulled the Pontiac motor out and sold the truck. Last time I saw it in Santa Clara, CA. it was all beat up and being used to store junk. Too bad.

I'll post more pictures when I find them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  6. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Wow! An actual owner of the wanted truck! Pretty neat piece and thanks for sharing your portion of its history. I've never seen an AWB truck before and the fact that's it's also a veteran of Lions', it's a a plain damn shame about it's fate. It deserved better than that.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just love reading these history lessons on the HAMB. Two days to find the former owner of a race vehicle is really cool.

8. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

THAT....is what kicks ass about this place!
    I'd love to know more about its original build/builder, and what class it ran , it IS an odditty...especially with the Altered wheelbase!

But, then...I have a fixation on these refridgerators.......:cool:
    Ford was forward thinking, really, here...it looked like a lot of the trucks the came later....it set standards.
    It DEFINATELY deserves better than its fate....it might just be one of, or the ONLY AWB F-100 Race vehicle in history!
    THANKS!!!

9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Such a great truck!!

10. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

Here are a few photos from when I owned it. I had replaced the blown up 427 Ford with the 421 Pontiac out of my '57 Chevy.

Attached Files:

11. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I LOVE IT!!!

Cool, really....THANKS AGAIN FOR THE PIX!

I'd love to hear more about it early history, and creation...hopefully, some one will eventually see this and tell us some more...

It makes me jumpy about finishing my truck, and getting it out there running, FOR SURE!