Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Does anyone have an old TRW Piston Catalog?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big_John, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

I'm looking for info on a L3015F piston.

This is in a set a friend has that he says I sold him 30 years ago. I don't remember, but I don't remember what day it is half the time either, so there's that.

Anyway... I haven't laid my hands on them to verify 100%, but going by everything I've found, they are a forged 440 piston with floating pins. I'm not sure if they are a stock compression replacement or a higher compression version.

It would make sense to me if they were a stock replacement 68-9 piston that I had for something I was building ** IF ** I ordered them new. They may also be something that just passed through my hands too, so anything is possible.

Of course, I used to have said catalog, but gave it away because "I'll never need this".

Any specs would be helpful.

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

L 3015 f is a 440 six pack piston

Deuces likes this.
  3. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

What year? The 69 six pack OE piston would be different than the 70 up.

69 should be the same as a 69 4bbl piston, but the 70 (and up) OE six pack piston had valve reliefs in it. This one doesn't, so I'm skeptical.

69 piston had a lower deck height than the 70 piston too. We used to run a couple of NHRA C/SA cars back in the 80's, a 69 and a 70, with the 440 six pack engines and stock pistons, so I'm familiar with the stock pistons.

4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

5. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

OK, that would make some sense.

I was building a couple of those engines for street use back in the time frame he said I sold him the parts, and they would have been '69 six pack 440s, so it might be falling into place.

Still don't remember it... but might have just gotten them for him too.

6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

That's a heavy piston to use if you don't have to.

7. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

LOL. Not going in anything I'm building.

He found them on a shelf with a bunch of other old things he forgot he had and I got a call today. I don't know what he's going to do with them. If they go in anything, it's going to be probably some mild street engine. More likely they'll get sold or traded.

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

TRW - L3000 series part numbers were cast pistons
    The L2000 series were Power Forged pistons

stillrunners and Deuces like this.
  9. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

That's interesting.

Again, not actually seeing them myself (yet), I have been going by what I've read that says the the "L" means a forged piston and the "F" means a floating pin. Of course, that's just what I've read on the internet too, so I'm not taking anything as 100% fact until someone says "On page number XX....."

I also just need to have this in front of me to verify what they are. Pretty easy to tell if forged/cast and pressed/floating pin.

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

Big John.... trust me, the pistons are cast, I know, I worked for TRW for over 30 years.

stillrunners and loudbang like this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

That explains the LT-1 replacement pistons I had some years back..... They were L2304s....
    350 +.030" over with domes that looked like 11:1s....

AHotRod likes this.
  12. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

Ahh that's good. A reliable source. Thank you!

It's making some sense now. He tells me they are part of a complete rebuild kit it would be logical for the pistons in the kit to be stock replacement cast pistons.

Not having them to look at is part of the problem, but I did promise that I would track down what they were since he is sure I sold them to him.

Deuces and AHotRod like this.
  13. Rckt98

Rckt98

Haha .Is he having buyers remorse 30 years later and wanting his money back.

14. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

No, he's just wanting to know what they are. He's digging through stuff, and like the rest of us, finding stuff he forgot he had... Like these pistons for example.

He also asked if I ever found the fender decals to the Bock Dragstar trailer I sold him many, many years ago... Funny thing was that I just found them in one of my piles of junk and set them aside for the next time I talked to him. He beat me to it!

I still don't remember selling him these pistons though...