Register now to get rid of these ads!

does anyone have an alternative to zip ties

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsled, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Instead of using zip ties for wire loom does anyone have a suggestion?

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  3. 40Stude, that is exactly what I hade in mind.

4. Fenders

Fenders

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That method of wire wrapping started with the phone guys in central office switch rooms. It's very nice, and whenever I was in a phone company CO I always admired the time it must have taken the oldtimers to do miles of cables in that method. It's called a "Telephone hitch". Not done anymore, and a lost art with telephone workers.
    [​IMG]

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Looks like we hung around the same places Fenders! :)

7. Cable lacing is what we used in the mid 60s on huge computer systems in the Air Force. We sometimes did harnesses with thousands of 22 ga or so wires splitting off into branches all over the room (yep, that's when computers took up whole buildings). The waxed cord is available in black or white, I used the black cord on my altered and it's a little easier to keep clean looking. It's time consuming and a lot more work to change harnesses if necessary but it looks better than anything else I know of. I recently did a roadster and found it easier to get everything in place by using tie wraps to get it mocked up then starting the cable lacing and cutting the tie wraps off as I go. I got cheap tie wraps from Surplus Center that come in a dispenser for some automated application.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If you use cable lacing for automotive wiring, you really should run a couple extra spare wires in the loom before lacing it. It might save your bacon if you ever have a need for another wire or two in the future!

9. Heat-shrink is good for short runs, but oh, boy, the mapping of your circuits has to be right on the money. I like the lacing. Just the right touch if you're going for period correct look.

10. AZbent

AZbent

In the airline world, we use lacing for everything on the engines. We don't do the telegraph knot. We do a clove hitch then a square not on top. The knots are about every 6 inches apart. The telegraph knot does look cool, but the middle sections tend to slip. Use either waxed or unwaxed. If you use the unwaxed, then put a little dab of super glue or lacquer on top of the knot. This will prevent it from coming undone over time. Good luck.

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Clever. Gary

12. thanks for the feedback

13. I've also used a slew of o-rings, which allow you to add wires later. Just doesn't quite have the look, but very effective out of sight.

14. ditto AZ... we use to have to hand tie wiring looms for aviation work all the time waaaaaaay back when

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'm pleasantly surprised that so many people like cable lacing. It is definitely a dying art. When I started doing naval electrical work in the late '80s, my first job was rewiring several controllers and cable lacing was required. I didn't know squat about knots but picked it up pretty quick. I've even thought about doing it on one of my projects. Yes it can be time consuming but it does look much better than tywraps, especially if the wires are keep nice and neat. People will definitely look a little closer at your project if they see you've taken the time to lace your wiring harness.

16. kenny do it

kenny do it
    from so-cal

3M SJ 3000 hook and loop (velcro) tape, 1/2 inch wide, comes in a roll. Cut to length, temporary or long term installation. I use it to bundle the race bike wiring and secure it to the frame.

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Just wondering... what did "vintage" race cars use in the 50's? Cable lacing, electrical tape, Adel clamps, conduit, or? Gary

18. squirrel

squirrel

Did race cars in the 50s have any wires besides the mag kill switch wire?