Register now to get rid of these ads!

does anybody make a quiet elec. fuel pump?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glendale, Jan 27, 2010.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run a rubber isolated Carter 4070, since I got over thinking that loud was cool, a long long time ago.

2. If you can hear your electric fuel pump then your mufflers are too quiet...:D

3. 66nova383

66nova383
    from oregon

Take a look at the mechanical piston style pump made by Race Pumps,They are really small but great quality.iIam running one on my Austin where my frame rails are only 20 inches apart.

4. I have had two red Holley pumps and as long as they are not mounted too high with a tight radius in the hose they work fine. I agree if your can hear them your pipes are not loud enough.

5. gatz

gatz

lot of differing opinions ......looks like the Carter p4070 rotary got the most votes.

Will the 4 - 6# pressure be sufficient for an Edelbrock 1406 (600 cfm) ?

I went to the Carter website, but it is very generic; where are all the specs for the Rotary Inline pump ? Are these pumps available at NAPA, AutoZone, or ?

2 people mentioned using a bypass in case the engine has stopped, but the pump is still going; but will any harm be done to a rotary pump if no bypass line is used?
    If a bypass valve is used, what psi setting would protect the pump ?

Is there any other return or vapor line that should be run from the Edelbrock 1406 to the tank?

gatz

6. Grumbler

Grumbler

I installed an Aeromotive and couldn't believe the RACKET so replaced with the Holley "HP" series geroter style, just goes thrum thrum thrum quietly in the background........internally regulated so no regulator required, no fuel return line to the tank required, works oerfect on my street Olds 455 with Edlebrock 800 that I also pound down the eighth regularly

http://www.jegs.com/p/Holley/Holley-Electric-HP-Fuel-Pumps/757948/10002/-1

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1. Yes. Edelbrock specifies no more than 5.5psi. Six psi seems to be okay (don't forget to set your float level on an Edelbrock. NEVER assume it's okay, they almost never are).

2. No bypass valve is required. If it makes you happy, you can install a bypass fuel regulator, and a return line to the tank. Set it at 5-5.5psi.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p4070/overview/
    http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=AFPE84070_0311540541
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-803bp/overview/

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Bosch from local a L6 GM sedan. Nice and quiet. It is isolated with rubber mount.

9. outlaw256

outlaw256

not trying to hijack your thread but i got a question also. back in the 70s i used a elec. pump om my 55. when i turn the key one it would run loud until the bowls on both carbs were full. then you could harly herte it run and that was before i started the car.does anyone remember a pump like that. because i sure would like to get one again.seems like it wouldnt pump until the bowl were low again like when the car was runnin.never have found another one do that and i want one

10. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

Just make sure and locate the pump at or below the fuel level..it will work better.
    I use the carter pump too.

11. charleyq

charleyq

Anyone had any experience with Walbro external electric fuel pumps? C.Q.

12. sunbeam

sunbeam

It's a shame the old Stuart Warner 240 is no longer made.

13. Yeah, I miss the old pumps that would "tick, tick, tick........ These new fangled pumps like the Holley I've got on my 40 with their "whirring" sound are obnoxious. I still have a SW 240 pump on my 55 though.:)

14. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

i have the edelbrock pump and its pretty quiet

15. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

The pump you are referring to is a bellows style pump made by Walbro and market as Autopulse, Dupree, Stewart Warner and AC brands. When the system fuel pressure built up the pump would slow down and become quiet.The reason you don't see them much anymore is the bellows material is not compatible with today's gasoline and turns to silly putty after a few months. Too bad because they were an inexpensive, repairable design but the addition of alcohol to gasoline killed it. I spent over 30 years marketing fuel pumps for Bendix and then Walbro so I know a little bit about them:)

16. charleyq

charleyq

Regarding the Walbro again. I just purchased their FR series pump for marine use. The paperwork states that it is suitable for E-85, regular and premium gasoline, gasoline-alcohol blends, Diesel, biodeisel, and stoddard solvent. These pumps deliver on demand. I find mine emits a low hum, and hardly any noise at idle. Of course in a wood boat acoustics are different.
    C.Q.

17. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The Carter P-4070 has been replaced by the P-4594 no regulator needed.I am running the P-4594 Carter http://www.jegs.com/i/Carter/180/P4594/10002/-1(here are the specs) with the same Carb as yours,DO NOT run a paper element filter between the tank and the pump! this uses a cleanable metal element http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chrome-Fuel-Filter-for-3-8-Inch-Hose,33811.html and always run a relay with an electric pump like this:http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/10564/10002/-1

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  18. 2935ford

2935ford

Don't know a quiet one but I do know Holley red's aren't!

19. gatz

gatz

thanks for all the info/links; that's the direction I'll be going.

gatz

20. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

didn't read all the posts so this is a shot in the dark.
    I got mine from air craft spruce, its a facet type, they have a chart for pressure and flow on their site.
    Mine works great and is quite.

21. I agree, this pump is real loud!!!! I hate it.

22. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

23. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I used to have a Stewart Warner 240A in the back of my coupe tick-tick-tick, this time around I notched the frame and boxed it and used a stock Chev pump. No tick-tick-tick kind of miss it.
    Those pumps are worth big $$$ now as they were used in high buck cars like Cobra's etc.

24. inline 292

inline 292

I assume you got the model with the cylindrical housing that's compatible with all modern fuels. I also use Aircraft Spruce as a supplier of industrial hardware. Never thought about a fuel pump though. Thanks for the tip.

25. Fenders

Fenders

Here is a chart on the Walbro FR models...

http://www.fuel-pumps.net/frseries.html?gclid=COf80Z75pLMCFcqY4AodGRYAag

26. Fenders

Fenders

Well I finally got fed up with my noisy Carter so I put in an Airtex E8318 (small in-line pump, 2.5 - 4.5#). I put a piece of radiator hose over it, split lengthwise to fit on, to add some noise isolation (don't know if that was necessary but WTH).

This thing is QUIET -- when I first turned on the ignition I had to go around to the back of the car to hear if it was running!

Very happy with it so far. BTW I see some use the Airtex E8012S -- that one is 9# max, didn't think my Holley would want that much pressure.

27. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Go to your salvage yard and take a look at the ford trucks and vans. most of them have 2 pumps, one in tank and one on frame. The frame one is in a neat little isolator that holds the pump and mounts to the frame on rubber. Had a LOUD pump on my truck, put it in a ford isolater and now I can't hear a thing!

28. jimvette59

jimvette59

My 87 Jaguar had a quiet remote pump. I used a spare to transfer gas from one tank to another on my boat . You would need a pressure reducer and it is 12 v.

29. txturbo

txturbo

Walbro in line pumps are pretty quiet.

30. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake