Register now to get rid of these ads!

does anybody know bodyfiller melting temp

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carcrazyjohn, Mar 31, 2012.

1. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Was having a discussion with pop about ,A trans pan.I used jb weld instead of filler because of temperature of trans...He asked why you didnt use bondo.I said because it would melt off,After a few minutes we both realized what is the melting temp of bondo.We know paint is 200 degrees.But what is bondo

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

It can be any filler .I dont use bondo

3. Dont know so much as it would melt, if it got hot enough the bondo would probably scorch, lose adhesion and drop off??

4. Bondo doesn't melt. Heat it hot enough and it will soften. After that it just gets all crumbly. Not using it to repair a trans pan was a good call

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it does not melt, I have used heat to remove it before. heat it up and scrape it off with a scraper.

6. Noland

Noland

yea this works good for removing it. I dont think they use it with powder coating and I beleive that bakes at 500 or so degrees so it must get screwed up at that temp.

7. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I wouldn't use JB Weld for that. It softens with heat and I wouldn't trust it to be oil proof. It says it's waterproof but I used it to secure airline hose beneath an undergravel filter in a freshwater aquarium and it lightened in color over time and gave up the ghost. I would trust Bondo on the transmission pan more. Try some road tar. I've had globs of it show up on various pans and it's like f*n cement.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Bondo doesn't so much melt as burn. It is made of polyester resin and a powdered filler. It is about as durable as paint under heat. If you want more detail you could look up polyester resin.

9. doliak

doliak

I woud trust a new pan haha or weld it up

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

ive got jb weld holding in a valve seat in a riding lawnmower. been there for about 6 yrs.i dont see why it wouldnrt hold a trans pan.but i quess youll find out soon enough. good luck.i do think id change the pan and be safe.

11. I have used JB Weld to fix numerous oil pans on daily drivers with no issues. Normally I use a small piece of sheet metal covered in JB over the bad spot.

12. David Chandler

David Chandler

I used to set up injection molding machines for plastic. Nearly everything that we ran was heated to 400 degrees. Bondo, or it's clones can be removed with heat and a putty knife. JB weld claims that it can be used on engines. Although I wouldn't take that to the bank. But if the part was degreased properly, it may work on something like an oil pan. Best bet get a second pan, just in case.

13. What kind of paint melts at 200 ? :confused:

I've baked paint at 400 F no problem.

14. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

lead it, it's not that hard to repair a pan and it's permanent