Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does a Hot Rod absolutely have to have chrome ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, I'd be curious to know what you had done and prices you paid.
    Also who did your chroming. Problem is being in Canada our $ is now crap against the US $ :(

2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'd do the grill shell and head light bar anyway. Maybe add the radiator support rods. Paint the suspension black, or have it powder coated. Use stainless or chromed hardware that will stand out against the black paint/power coating. Then use a lot of polished aluminum, stainless or chrome on the engine accessories, i.e. air cleaners, linkages, fuel log and fuel lines, etc. You'll get the bling factor but the cost will be much more affordable.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm going to have to make a decision and go with it. I will not be dropping $5000 on a few chromed parts or paying $1000 to have my front axle chromed.
    I'm thinking that Alberta Plating should be a little more reasonable than that.
    I have a vision in my head for this car, and with the dark Washington blue, the chrome contrast of the parts I want done will be a standout.
    I have tried not to cheap out so far but man :D:D
    It just hurts sometimes. Glad I bought my big ticket items like the Winters quick change when the dollar was at par to the US dollar. :D

loudbang likes this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

He can't do THAT! THAT'S what I'M doing!!!:D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Jet96 and Blues4U like this.
  5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's OK Fred, If I decide to go ahead with the chrome it will be a piece at a time to spread the pain out and you can continue with your paint.
    It will all work out. :D

6. I agree totally, every time I try to clean my stuff bikes or cars I have to haul out the big guns.

7. brad2v

brad2v

Shit, sorry Larry. Haven't been on today. Anyhoo, yes, very nice work. Everything on the Pontiac over there << was $4500. Which, was rather heart stopping, but considering the rear bumper is 3 pieces, the front is 8, plus tail light housings, the front fender pointy things, the 3 piece hood molding, trunk and door emblems and the mirrors, I guess not too bad. Plus, much of it was pretty rough. The bumpers were BEAT, and the tail light housing were very pitted. I also had a front axle and a rear diff housing done a few years back that was very reasonable. Those, I prepped ahead of time, so I think that helped.

8. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Absolutely must have chrome....mines on my keychain, mainly because my grandkids got it for me.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

$4,500.:eek: Man, that's HALF of what I'll have in my build! Paint gun? I can hear ya callin' me!

10. brad2v

brad2v

I hear ya. I will NEVER do another late 50's car again. For this reason

11. How long ago did you have the work done? I recently took a brand new windshield frame to them, $400 for regular chrome not triple plated, and I had to take it back to them (600km round trip)because the first time it was terrible, massive sanding scratches all over it. They did redo it without any questions but it still sucked having to take it back. If I wasn't in Calgary on a regular basis for work I would have been pissed. The guy basically told me when I got it done that he is the only game in Western Canada so he can pretty much charge what he wants. I have more stuff to do but I am a little leery of going back.

loudbang likes this.
  12. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

I say no. But it should have some stainless and/or copper and brass parts. I think those parts look better than chrome anyway. My .02

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I know what you mean. It seems like they feel they have us by the balls and can squeeze. All we can say is harder please :( :D:D
    The plating house in Ontario quoted me on show chrome with all the assorted layers, the copper and then nickel and chrome.
    They do absolutely beautiful work, I have seen some of it personally here on a build my buddy is doing for a guy.
    But the $5000 price tag has me just pissed. :mad:
    But, what can you do ? We really don't have many options.
    The situation sucks.

14. Yup his we know we can fuck you so we do attitude is what put me off going back more than anything. The problem is he is right:(.

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Can't you guys in Canada ship it state side or just drive over?

16. If you live close enough to the border some can. Larry and I are about a 7 hour drive each way to the border so it's not super convenient. The other problem these days is our dollar is not great right now. It has gotten considerably better over the last little while and is now about a 20% difference but it was as low as 40% difference not too long ago. Makes any saving disappear pretty quickly and shipping is outrageous crossing the border so that pretty much eats up any savings as well if getting to the border is not a convenient option.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm looking at other options and other plating places now, even some US ones. Not sure what I will find. One of them is a shop that has been featured in The Rodders Journal, John Wright Custom Chrome in Ohio.
    http://www.customchromeplating.com/
    I hauled my whole car to Rod Tops in Michigan, maybe I have to haul ( or most likely crate and ship ) some parts to Ohio. :D
    I'll see what they tell me in the course of my contact with them.
    Larry.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  18. brad2v

brad2v

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I dropped them a line also to see what they come up with.
    The thing with Jon Wright in Ohio is that they are a known as for level of quality work having been featured in The Rodders Journal.

brad2v likes this.
  20. Ogden is pretty well know as well a lot of high end builders use them.

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Good to know, I'll see what these different shops come up with.

22. You can do a lot with using different colors of paint to minimize the expense of chrome ,I personally dislike the monochrome look that was popular with street rodders in the 60's all one color on everything.

I like some chrome but now I tend to avoid it on suspension parts as I tend to drive my hot rods more than cleaning. HRP

Blues4U likes this.
  23. Jon Wright has a very good reputation with the guys here in Ohio!

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Still waiting on their estimate.

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Well, it seems like I should not have been all that shocked by the price of the chroming work.
    So far everyone has been in the same ballpark for the work. Show chrome is not cheap.
    You can get cheaper chroming done but before too long it looks like crap and is peeling etc.

I haven't heard from John Wright yet with their estimate but so far the front runner is Ogden chrome.

I have seen work from The Plating house in Toronto, I was looking at and handling some again today at my buddies shop.

Ogden Chrome is closer to me here in Alberta even if it is across the border.
    I was talking on the phone with Jose at Ogden and he seems like a knowledgeable guy.

Our dollar is gaining slowly in value so I may be able to ship my parts down in a couple of months.

So far the total price is going to come in around that $4 - $5000 mark.

It's kind of like every other big ticket item on my RPU. :D I beat around and take time to make a decision, do some whining then decide that if I want to do it then I have to pay. :D

It was like that on my Winters quick change, then the choice of front brakes was another one.
    This is no different, just takes time to get numb to the sticker shock.

I may ship things to them, however a trip down to Utah to see the salt flats would be fun too so.... we shall see. :):cool:
    Larry

loudbang, brad2v and AndersF like this.
  26. brad2v

brad2v

Glad to hear you're biting the bullet. After springing for the quick change etc, there's no point turning back now. Do the road trip, it's not even very far :D

27. 55Brodie

55Brodie

Section 6, paragraph 4.3 of the U.S. Hot Rod Code clearly states, " all hot rods should, at minimum, contain 10 lbs. of chrome plating."

I'm not sure what Canadian law says.

brad2v likes this.
  28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm not sure on Canadian law in that regard :D
    I will probably get close to that however :D

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I get what you're saying, Blue and when you put it like that, it sounds like you're settled in to the decision. With my build, I've decided on a VERY nice engine and a 9" rear end and it's gonna take me a while (maybe 6 months) to raise the dough for 'em. If I go "low ball", I could have a junk yard engine and a Chevy 10 bolt by the end of next month. Like you, I'm sticking with my original plan, because that's my vision.

BUT, in my case, those high ticket items are for performance, not looks.

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sounds good Fred, we all have a plan and yes a vision.
    As far as performance goes, I'm thinking it shouldn't be too bad as Tim has built me a pretty healthy Y block and with the tri power it should work well.
    It won't be a race car but being small and light it should move right along. :cool: