Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Does a Hamb build Increase a cars value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, May 14, 2023.

1. BJR

BJR

I was just thinking, (which is dangerous for me) if having your car build documented on the Hamb, increases the value of the car when finished? It gives the car world wide exposure to the people who would be potential buyers should it ever come up for sale. What do you guys think?

hrm2k and guthriesmith like this.
  2. larry k

larry k

3. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Entertaining thought, but no.

hrm2k and alanp561 like this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

It might help sell it because everybody Loves photos!

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think so. Documenting your build with photos might but the fact that it's on the HAMB won't.

6. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think a build thread that showed quality work and positive comments would be a positive feature on a car. Knowing what the builder did and the parts used would certainly answer a lot of questions for a potential buyer. How much that is worth in dollars and cents is anyone's guess. Positive comments from HAMB members along with discussions of how great something was would be the greatest benefit.

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Documenting your build with photos, and receipts for parts will definitely increase the value, should you ever decide to part with it. But posting that anywhere is really irrelevant to increasing the value more than it would if you handed the buyer a flash drive with all the images loaded.
    At least when it'd documented in images the potential buyer doesn't have to worry about how it was built, or what's under the new paint. Or whether the engine really is a new fresh build, if you've got pictures of the engine being assembled on the same flash drive.

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Nope, I've seen some cars here that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

lilCowboy, jim snow, Gotgas and 12 others like this.
  9. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It may settle any future arguments over who actually built said car though...

10. It may not change the value of the car, but it might influence whether I would be interested in purchasing the car. If, as others here have said, the build showed quality work with positive comments from HAMB members, that would go a long way in which way I might decide whether or not to buy.

alanp561 likes this.
  11. George

George

It could if the buyer is interested in a HAMB correct car vs a typical street rod.

Montana1 likes this.
  12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

13. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the same car was posted on any site other than the HAMB, with the same documentation and pictures, would you consider purchasing it? I'd probably pass because I probably would not know the name of the builder or his credentials. I run across similar situations here where someone advertises a vehicle with comments about who built what on it. They aren't local to me, so I don't have any personal knowledge of the way they do things. I'm not saying that there aren't some really great people building things on here because there are. There are also people on here who, in my estimation, do some really sketchy stuff.

Black_Sheep and tomcat11 like this.
  14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Silly Rabbit...

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  15. I would think that the more documentation, the better when it comes to maintaining the value and interest level of potential buyers. But I'm not so sure that a build thread on any forum is ideal. When I started building the judge I pondered the question then decided that for my own reference later and for some other subject matter unrelated to cars such as ancestry research documentation the best move was to find a good photo sharing website that also allowed the fair amount of text for descriptions and explanations. So I began posting my work on Photobucket.. but then up jumped the devil and they informed me that for $300 I could keep my website. So after doing a little research I downloaded all my photos off of photobucket and switched them over to Smugmug.. the best part of that was that smugmug is very customizable and also free for the basic forms and formats, but after a while I chose to upgrade to premium with a lot more features which cost $11 a month as I recall.. then I put a provision in my will requiring whoever ends up with the judge must agreed to take over and maintain the website. (Plus, nobody is looking over my shoulder regarding what I choose to do in the resurrection or what I choose to post.) After all, it's in their own interest for reference... And the how and the why I did what I did.. there are over 3,000 pictures and videos but about a third of them are not related to my build. In addition it's a very easy way to send very large videos to friends and family by posting in a separate private gallery (which is accessible only by accessing via the link) and then emailing or texting the link...I apologize if I'm hijacking the thread but it's something to think about for everybody that's proud of their car and their efforts to bring her back from the grave...

Chucky likes this.
  16. This is not necessarily a direct comparison, but I have a build thread going for our '38 cabriolet. When I was selling my '28 roadster (it sold long distance, without hands or eyes on the car, to a none HAMB member), I sent the prospective buyer a link to the '38 HAMB build thread to demonstrate the kind and type of work I do and to show that I have at least a moderate internet presence (bonafides). This provided assurance to the buyer, and gave him the confidence and willingness to step up to and send me the money I was asking (in my opinion, fair market value). So it certainly helped the sale, but I wouldn't say increased the value.

Last edited: May 14, 2023
  17. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who knows, but I think it possibly should and maybe it could/ should be talked up to be that way too? Plus there's the new HAMB in house auction site, Jalopy Auction House. Sounds like a match made in heaven!

Chris

Lil 32 likes this.
  18. wvenfield

wvenfield

I hope so but I'm not going to count on it. LOL

19. Maybe not increase the value , but get the cars asking price or “ worth” should be easier .

a documented build thread with pics shows how the car was built and parts used .

As opposed to a shiny paint “ unknown”

But , what the hell do I know ?

20. missysdad1

missysdad1

It would depend upon the quality level of the car being built and the quality of the work being done on it. Proof of good work will always raise value...except to those who insist on low-balling in an attempt to get a good car at the price of a poor one. People who put more importance on a low price than of the quality of what they are buying won't be moved one bit. Their loss.

05snopro440 and alanp561 like this.
  21. From my past experience I believe it doesn't hurt, if you documented the build here a potential buyer caan see for themselves just what was done and what components were used.

If the buyer is looking for a traditional built style it is a plus. HRP

guthriesmith, Montana1 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  22. SDrocker

SDrocker

I bought a HAMB car literally 2 months ago not seen in person. I'm having to do a lot of work/rework.. In a way I'm glad I just went for it since over time I may look back and think it was just money. Had I seen it in person and nitpicked I probably wouldn't have moved forward and given up looking for something else unless it was located in my immediate region.

23. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I think a lot of the build threads, mine included, document our learning process more than anything. In those cases, probably a negative on the sell side. Which is okay because it’ll be a cold day in hell when I sell my coupe. For the many super talented build threads on here, it might help. Especially if the car has gained some notoriety. There are a couple of builds here that I would kill to have in my garage.

hrm2k likes this.
  24. Naw, liars will still lie

jim snow likes this.
  25. Does a Hamb build Increase a cars value?

If you mean resale value, probably not. Like it or not, we are the last man standing in this crowd.
    Unless you grew up with this style car like we did, you'd probably think it's was (forgive me) a RR, entry level, "low buck" ride.

Most people outside the HAMB clique don't have a clue, and would rather have the latest and the greatest. Just saying... :cool:

alanp561 likes this.
  26. God i hope so! That would mean my car is worth at least $3000!!!

27. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

It's rare for me to come across someone who even knows what the HAMB is around my area. Now if it were another HAMB member that buys it and uses the build thread to research what had been done to the car and how I think that would be helpful.

Montana1 and guthriesmith like this.
  28. jimpopper

jimpopper

1. Some potential buyers are clueless about what they see in pictures and may be sold on the finished car but get turned off because they don't relate to the diamond in the rough seen in the progress pictures.
    2. Buyers don't necessarily think like us. You list the parts rep!aced, they see a car as a problem constantly needing repaired.
    3. You give them more ammo to cut your price apart.
    4.You will be put off because they don't value your effort or doubt your quality.
    5. You are selling the car, not the process.

alanp561 likes this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

I dunno, but if I had documented pics of putting in new wheel bearings, let’s say. Then the buyer could rest assured it was done and not said. So many other things as well. Increase the value? No, most likely not, but may get closer to your asking price.

30. I increased mines value just by filling up

jim snow, LOST ANGEL, clem and 4 others like this.