Register now to get rid of these ads!

dodge to plymouth interchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alfonsothefons, Aug 28, 2011.

1. alfonsothefons

alfonsothefons
    from Georgia

can i put a dodge 241 ram and tranny in my 53 plymouth cranbrook
    the cranbrook has flat 6 with hydrive auto
    and the dodge is a standard
    will the linkage interchange
    and the mounts?

2. snaptwo

snaptwo

My pal Nolen did a swap like that years ago but used a 3 spd truck crossmember and tranny. I think he used the 241 front mount. It was in a 52 sedan ,couldn't be much different.

3. George

George

Pretty sure the flat 6 & V8 have diffrent bell patterns. PM "73RR" he can tell ya.

4. 73RR

73RR

Different bellhousing bolt patterns.

5. Probably you can if you have the Dodge to pirate the crossmember, pedals and so on out of. Not sure what difference the bell bolt pattern makes since you're swapping in the Hemi and it's transmission, unless you guys mean it has bellhousing motor mounts, in which case again, maybe you can borrow them from the donor car.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

See my post on this in your other thread........you got a bunch of 'em.......

The stock 'yoke' front mount on the 241 with set into the stock Ply crossmember.
    In the trans area, the '53 & '54 Dodges used a very long bellhousing as it was used for Gyromatic, Fluid Drive and standard shift versions. On the standard shift models the trans had a very long thowout bearing and collar to take up the space for the fluid coupling on the semi-auto versions.

The upshot of all this is.....the crossmember at the rear of the bellhousing, which also serves as the rear engine mount, id further back than your Plymouth. While you can move the crossmember rearward I suppose, I used the '55/'56 bellhousing and trans which is much shorter than the earlier versions since there was no semi-autos post '54.

Ray

The '55 V8 bellhousing will sit on the same mount locations as the Ply 6, although I seem to remember a heaight difference that required a spacer. But, I could be incorrect on that last bit. It's been awhile (1962)