Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Tony, I think there's a guy down here somewhere around Griffin with a chassis dyno also. But I think Dallas is closer for you. I can check it out iff,n you want.

2. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Thought you were going to check out "balanced performance"?

3. Yeah Joe that's way closer. Forgot about that.

4. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

If he doesn't have them now he sure knows where it went question is whether or not he will say I'm sure he will get some kind of deal where he doesn't see the inside of a jail if he squeals it's happened before I say we have a hangin at high noon on the town square on sat

30dodgeboy and Dog_Patch like this.
  5. .

Quain,

What is the name of the business your refering here?

Blownfuel

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I'm with you hang the low life's. That's why we have the problems we do with people stealing, they don't get the punishment they should.

30dodgeboy and Dog_Patch like this.
  7. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This is funny but I don't know the business name and I have been sending people there for years. I just know the guy that run's it's name. Keith Osborne used to run it now long time employee Jody has took over. Really good people.

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Quain I have a question for you. I've watched most of the videos, in particular how the cars launched and rode the wheelie bars. Back in the day I remember some racers using half a leaf spring flipped upside down as the structure for wheelie bars, saying they "self adjusted" to track and traction conditions.
    In the Southeast Gasser videos, "wheelie" wheels appear to be solid mounted on some of the cars (like Bone Shaker, love that car!) and it seems to me that in a hard launch; hammering solid mounted "wheelie" wheels might unload the rear tires and cause handling problems. I'd really appreciate your input on this.
    Edit: Dog_Patch, sorry to stray from your progress and I apologize. BTW, I was watching a tv show about cars, unrelated to the HAMB, and your car was on there. I thought that was pretty cool.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    Dog_Patch likes this.
  9. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Back in the day there were all kinds of wheelie bars tried but they never figured out that making them longer would be much better for all reasons. You may have noticed in our rules that we have a length rule and a design rule. There are several options on the design rule, it is put in place to keep the cars looking like they did in the mid 60s. (the wrong wheelie bars ruins the look of an old school gassers just about as bad as the wrong wheels). The length rule is for looks also but more important it helps keep the high HP cars from dominating the class for reasons you stated above. The short bar unloads the rear wheels if hit to hard. Just one of the things that has made the SEG the most popular A/G group in the world.

Now for a history lesson to let y'all know why the design changed in the mid to late 70s.
    All wheelie bars back then were home made, most like you said were from an old leaf spring with a caster wheel welded on it. (the reason I bend the aluminum plate on the ones I make to make it look like an old spring. As time went on and the tracks and tires got better the cars got lower and by the mid to late 70s they were so low the top support bars were hitting the rear lower valance panel. Someone figured out that moving the wheel behind the flat plate they would gain about 4" of clearance. So the next thing you know the modern wheelie bar look was on all cars. Except SEG cars LOL.
    The 1st pic is the bars we make, the 2nd is the bars that was on Gene Cromers Willys from the later 60s and are still on it today. wheelie bars 5.JPG wheelie bars.jpg

catdad49, OahuEli, 30dodgeboy and 5 others like this.
  10. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

Great information Quain

11. Do tell :) which TV show? No worries on the side track - I don't have Facebook so this is my hangout.;)

12. Saturday thrash.

Started off not so good. This spool had a crack in it and I babied it for a while. It finally exploded. :confused:

IMG_1647.JPG

Clutch stop! Its not Stott Speed Shop quality o_O works though.

IMG_1648.JPG

The modifications never end. The Braille battery was nice and light but it was getting slow to crank on busy days. At Commerce where you do a huge loop, the electric fan and water pump was too much. It was almost dead after 2 laps and needed an hour to charge. So - since the 467 cubic incher needs some ballast, this yellow top went into the trunk. The Braille was up front, so maybe this helps get some air under the front tire too.

IMG_1650.JPG

Attached Files:

13. Rainy Sunday here - was watching this again - at about 10:30 they say the weight needed to be 30% front and 70% rear or you can be disqualified !?!

OahuEli likes this.
  14. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I might buy the old battery from you I need to get rid of weight since I put the 331 in mine.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  15. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Check out the car in the far lane at 17:58. That was then..... this is now!

Attached Files:

16. Wow that's cool. Is that yours?

17. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

I WISH!! Mine doesn't look much different than my avatar.....kinda ;)

Dog_Patch likes this.
  18. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Hope that dodge is ready for some action next saturday!

19. Sounds like I'm getting called out ;) I have a practice tree ya know.
    [​IMG]

hendelec, sonic03bluegt and saltflats like this.
  20. My secret skunk works crew was hard at work this weekend. We went to Commerce and made some passes and adjustments. Jack sand blasted a set of valve covers. The crank case evac needs moved off the valley pan so these rough covers are getting drilled to move the breathers up on the covers.

IMG_1698.JPG

21. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

I see the new powerplant on the engine stand! Flathead banger in the dodge huh?

Dog_Patch and 30dodgeboy like this.
  22. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

What time does union get going? SEG. Website says all day, I've got some family stuff to do early in am, hoping to make it on there after.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  23. Damn! Cat's out of the bag! If one studies the rule very carefully, there is no minimum cubic in rule - so with the reduced weight of the banger, the Quick N Dirty will be wheel standing in no time!

Come on! What I was told is that racing starts at 3pm so that means it could run till late, I'm going to camp at the track Saturday night - if they don't mind.

sonic03bluegt likes this.
  24. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Yea you can camp at the track and first round of qualifying should be around 3.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  25. Man that turned out to be a lot of work. Guess that's why only the crazy people do this stuff. Had to get 6 bolt axles and drums, open the holes on the mags, new lug nuts - 6 of which needed shortened because the two wheels were more than 1/8th" different in thickness. Digging the small window look though :)

Fourwindow2.jpg

26. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

I am gathering parts and info everyday! I have already done a bunch of work to my car but if I start a 9 month thrash like you did, that will get me done beginning of May! Any SEG events around that time, huh....:)

catdad49 likes this.
  27. You're right on target brother man!

Higgy's Henry likes this.
  28. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

But you know it makes sense

Dog_Patch likes this.
  29. Those wheels (and the six lug axles) look bitchen my friend!

Dog_Patch likes this.