Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. No worries Ric! Its been a crazy week here too. Today was better than most days - got the frame and body back together so the rear axle seems like the next best job to tackle. After looking at the Moonlighter thread, this is my attempt at learning from the best :)

Body going back on to mock up the rear axle :

DSC03723 (Copy).jpg

The Palamides were cleaned up and painted on the inside and then I got lucky and the tire shop wasn't busy so they swapped the slicks over in about 30 minutes
    DSC03724 (Copy).jpg
    DSC03726 (Copy).jpg

Next the rear tires were mocked up and almost fit the stock 61" rear width. Might need to be a little wider to allow for axle rotation.
    DSC03730 (Copy).jpg

Time to build a rear axle .....

DSC03733 (Copy).jpg

jocktherock likes this.
  2. DSC03734 (Copy).jpg Again studying the Moonlighter build, the inside of the housing is welded up

DSC03734 (Copy).jpg

Attached Files:

3. This new HAMB is wacky.

4. Going to cut slots like on the Moonlighter. DSC03737 (Copy).jpg

DSC03738 (Copy).jpg

The slots are done. Now I need to get an empty rear chunk from LAYDRAG tomorrow.

One item I am not sure about yet - where to center the rear ? I know on a T-Bucket or something where you can see the axle, the rear should be centered, but on a drag car should the yoke be centered on the trans ?

5. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Sooooointaneey...RUFF!...RUFF!!!

curly.jpg

Looooookeng gooooood!!

6. Those wheels look bitchin'.

What's the function of the slots you cut in the housing?

7. Not bad for $600 eh ? :D Little salt in Jeffy's wound.

I saw on Quain's thread he cut the housing like this to give it more weld area. The orig housing had 1 tiny little hole for a rosette weld. The slots are cut on the front and the back. Lots of weld support now.

So sounds like Bean Dip recommends a centered pinion - works for me.

8. Love the lines of these '39 Chrysler products. Great score, with so little rust and so much potential. Hemi power is The Bomb!! Nice shop with money well spent on lift. Much safer and easier on our bones, as we get older. Cleavage statement...LOL Subscribed.
    Glad I'm not the only one with dog problems. Little Axel, (5lb Chiahuahua) cost me big bills this week. After hours ER bill $275 clams. Hurray, I have a dollar left till payday.:confused:
    JT

9. Go man go! K:cool::cool:L

jakespeed63 likes this.
  10. That makes sense. After the fun-n-games PBRmeASAP had with the axle in the old '31 chevy I'm thinking you need to watch how much heat you put on there when you're welding.

11. vtmopar

vtmopar
    from Vermont

great build, subscribed.

12. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

I am watching you

13. norcal rizzo

norcal rizzo

Bitchin build, never knew about the axle slots. And as a father of two garage mutts, I gotta ask how lulu's doin?

the metric system? never heard of it.......

14. Amen on the lift JT. Its so easy to lift the body on and off it seems like a crime in progress :rolleyes: . Sometimes I do it just for fun. Lulu is running around like nothing happened now. So could I have skipped the vet and saved some $$ ? Country folk say yes - but - the mailman told me his dog died a month or so back from a copper head bite. He didn't go to the vet - dog was old. Who knows, its tough to watch em suffer.

Anyhow - stopped in at the machine shop and grabbed a pic of the block on the line bore. It was sooooo crusty it was vatted twice or 3 times. The crank turned out sweet though. I have been trying to figure out the stroker crank options but the price of shipping cranks around is crazy. Probably going to leave it stock stroke on this go around.

block_2.JPG
    block1.JPG
    We are running over to a car show in Buford this morning then back on the rear axle build - time is a wasting!

15. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

No no don't tell me you dump the front suspension I've got a D11 coupe here in England and could have used that front end bugger.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

Nice build thread

Attached Files:

17. slack

slack

Could he sing? Sweeet project (and your little dog too)

18. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Looking good Tony. Lets keep tossing the gasser names, one will stick eventually. Andrew im looking forward to the paint layout/design ideas : ) subscribed! Rock on brother!!!

chazzin likes this.
  19. haha thanks brother....
    Damn you work fast, if i make it down in November can we take it for a ride?

20. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

Needs something with dog in it !!! Meaner than a ( junk yard dog )

21. Got the rear end measured and welded. I had ordered 2 DOM tubes from Speedy Metals at 36" each - but turned out that was way overkill. Only needed 19" per side. After eyeballing and moving and measuring again and again - got it where I wanted it - measured the exact same as stock! I guess the Palamides were intended to fit under the cars of the day without an axle mod ??

This Tudor's axle jig. This is a shot of the chunk plus the guides for the jig.
    DSC03742 (Copy).jpg

DSC03747 (Copy).jpg

DSC03749 (Copy).jpg

DSC03751 (Copy).jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  22. DSC03756 (Copy).jpg
    DSC03757 (Copy).jpg

Attached Files:

23. Sometimes the picture upload is goofy. Had to add some filler rod here. Also notice the bar for the jig is out now.

DSC03763 (Copy).jpg

DSC03764 (Copy).jpg

All welded - now to fill it in. Thought about using bondo here - maybe I should have -

DSC03765 (Copy).jpg

Attached Files:

24. Somehow it doesn't full size all the images ..... sometimes

25. DSC03769 (Copy).jpg
    DSC03767 (Copy).jpg

Next item - hang these leafs .....

DSC03773 (Copy).jpg

jakespeed63 likes this.
  26. You have mad skills brother ! K:cool::cool:L

27. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

Hell yea looking good there!! You think you have enough room there just in case you need to take advantage of the max tire size of 10.5?

28. These are about 1" wider than originally mocked up. Hmmmm wheel spacers? Gotsta start somewhere or you just sit and look at stuff and wonder - what if o_O

29. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Max tire size is 11.5 :D

Dog Patch if you get yours built before me I'm gonna be sick!!! Guess we are gonna race to the starting line then race to the finish line!!?