Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. I plan to keep them out of the path of things under pressure from now on.

They don't get alot of attention so it wasn't all bad.

Last of the trailer fail pics - the bearings were all repacked this winter - the root of the failure was a pothole I think. The shoes came loose and were laying on the drum when I pulled the drum off. I didn't get a pic of the way they were, but here's the shoes I cut off.
    IMG_1235.JPG

Anyway - we got to see HotRod Walt play on Friday night and then went over to Paradise for some test and tune.
    IMG_1225.JPG
    IMG_1226.JPG

The big surprise was a visit by our long lost brother who moved to Ecuador - that and the 46 Ford that used to belong to @Tudor now belongs to Russ.

IMG_0022.JPEG IMG_0024.JPEG IMG_1230.JPG IMG_1231.JPG IMG_1233.JPG IMG_1243.JPG IMG_1244.JPG IMG_1245.JPG IMG_1246.JPG IMG_1247.JPG IMG_1248.JPG IMG_1249.JPG
    And to top it off - I broke the 4th gear in the Jerico. Its not really broke - messed up the dog ring and it won't go into 4th under power. Joe's gonna fix it.

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Well Damn! All sorts of news there, thx. But the most important news was omitted: Have you fixed the off the line bog?????

3. glrbird

glrbird

That yellow 55 looks like something that has been around a long time.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Biggest surprise in all those pics is the hockey game on TV at the bar!! Didn't know you guys knew what hockey was!!

5. catdad49

catdad49

I was going to ask what the crew chief thought about the mishap, well? Did she ask how you were before she started chuckling?! Hockey!!

chryslerfan55, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  6. YES bog is gone!! Gene Adams and I had a few phone calls during the week and he had notes from when he flowed my setup last fall. Somehow the pill size wasn't in the discussion back then. I was on a 105 pill and bogging - but the plug color was ok. Gene said to stop looking at plugs because 1/8 mile is not enough to color them - or they should look like new still - if they color in 1/8 you're rich. So he had a chart and told me to go to 165 pill from my 105! That's a big jump and I'm a chicken when it comes to lean - so we put in a 150. Tim rode shotgun and held the wide band on a pass and it was reading 14.5.
    Gene said that I need to make a pass, lean the pill - if its faster - lean it again until it slows down then backup. That was the plan until 4th gear broke. No more bog off the line.

We were shooting chipmunks last night - that's why I didn't have my phone - damn things have eaten the wires in both trucks and now the golf cart. Shot 3 squirrels and 3 chipmunks. This is war.

That came from Hot Rod Ranch. Not sure the history but its got lots of love marks.

Is that what that was? No one could figure it out. Score was so low we quit watching it.

Yeah not a lot of sympathy just laughing.

7. Wow a Chuck sighting and resurrection of the 46 you had a busy weekend.

loudbang, Dog_Patch and Hang'emHigh like this.
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Best way to get rid of chipmunks is cats that stay outside mostly and are kept slightly hungry. Used to have female cat that would catch them and bring them to the door to show them to me! She lived to be 17 yrs. old and the last couple of years she sorta would doze off to sleep while watching and waiting for chipmunks to pop outta their hole, LOL!
    Glad the car is running better, 14.5 sounds just a tad on the lean side to an uninformed old fart like me. What reading are you shooting for?
    You're correct, my temp gauge trick prolly wouldn't have caught the failure of brake shoe retainers like you had, but it's still an early warning on wheel bearigs.

9. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Reading between the lines I think you are saying you are at 14.5:1 air fuel? If so, that is pretty lean on acceleration. 14.7 is steady cruise but accel you want to be more like 12:1 on gas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Yeah probably right - the test and tune Fridays have not been good this year. Hope to use the AFR at Piedmont.
    afr.JPG

11. You’ve got some ‘splaining to do Holmes.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Jybella like this.

12. See if this works

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  13. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

And remember the AFR is the average of the 4 cylinders on that bank. One cylinder may be a little lean or rich. Reading plugs is still the best "look" in the cylinder. The gauge will get you close. The AFR gauges are a wonderful tuning aid over your ear and ET slip alone!

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  14. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

[​IMG]

Hang'emHigh, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Cinderella story :)

loudbang likes this.
  16. 3AB18E31-7145-499F-990F-C2036F6ACCFD.jpeg
    Cinderella is now a pumpkin. Killed a bunch of chipmunks thinking they were guilty parties ooops

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

At least you got the little bastard:cool:

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

I was going to say, that looks a lot like a rat and not a chipmunk. If you saw one then ten of his cousin's are lurking in the bushes. Time for some traps and D-Con.

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

When did the Chevy's move in your neighborhood? :D

loudbang, Dog_Patch and 402BOSSMAN like this.
  20. Never spent much time in Georgia but I sure don't remember any chipmunks with hairless tails, and that are nocturnal? Of course I have lead a pretty sheltered life. Ours out here look more like Alvin and Theodore.
    That looks more like one of those wire insulation eating rodents we have called pack rats. But as they say, "toe-may-toe" or "tow-ma-tow". They all eat the same! Best of luck making them all go away. pack rat.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  21. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

I want to comment,however I washed my hands with bong water.

Dog_Patch and saltflats like this.
  22. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Saw 2 dead rats on the way to see Mom on Sunday. Been probably 20 years since the last time I saw a road killed rat. Must be a population boom this year. Our wiring chewers come in the extra large size, named Punxsutawney Phil. Guess folks would be upset if his head exploded before he could foretell the weather forecast. :D

loudbang and enloe like this.
  23. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

They need to shoot that over sized rat, His call on winter this year was waaaay off!!

loudbang, Hang'emHigh and Dog_Patch like this.
  24. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Looks like a roof rat. It's tail is longer than its body. The big traditional style rat traps and some peanut butter will work on them.

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

More fun to shoot them:D

loudbang, hog mtn dave and Dog_Patch like this.
  26. Yeah I had a feeling the damage was from a rat but whatever it was didn't step in the glue traps and wouldn't go into the box traps - so the chipmunks and squirrels were suspects. Then we were in the shed looking for a rat nest and the damn thing was sitting up high just watching us - boom!

And to keep with the car subject
    CP8_8448web-(ZF-8104-59984-1-009).jpg CP8_8453web-(ZF-8104-59984-1-008).jpg CP8_8510web-(ZF-8104-59984-1-007).jpg CP8_8511web-(ZF-8104-59984-1-006).jpg CP8_8557web-(ZF-8104-59984-1-005).jpg

27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

28. loudbang and Swamp Rat 4 like this.
  29. Had issues with my Jerico going into 4th gear so I pulled it and took it to Joe's - in the mean time JT said he had a G-Force 101 with the hand cuff built in so that went into the car so we could hit the next race without issues - ha!

Something went wrong on the linkage. It felt strange on Friday night but was driving around the pits ok so I asked Kim to watch my burnout and waive me out as soon as the tire smoke. Oh boy - after 30 seconds of 5000 rpms she's just staring at me. Quain runs up and is banging on the door STOP!!! The tires never even moved.

And again we thrashed - killed the disc so bad you could see your face in it.

IMG_1356.JPG

Out it goes late night at the track Ted showed up at 9am with another disc and we were racing at noon.
    IMG_1364.JPG IMG_1366.JPG IMG_1369.JPG IMG_1370.JPG IMG_1375.JPG IMG_1378.JPG IMG_1393.JPG

I had a spare pressure plate and flywheel but the G-Force is 18 spline and the spare was a 26