Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Depending on the brand used they do make units that can be moved from car to car. After the egts are removed a cap goes on. Same for a o2 sensor in the collector. Test with it in place then cap off to race. They are very helpful. Don't tighten the egts very tight otherwise they get deformed and won't come out.

2. 1CEDC28B-D3E3-408C-976D-0C3E763A53C9.jpeg CDC0F055-98F0-426D-9C64-B5CABF89A53F.jpeg Just hanging in the pits today but hopefully it’ll get loud tomorrow . Nothing to do now but play with my wiener.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  3. Clay City recap - when things get as tough as you think they can get - just wait a little longer. We had a good time waiting on the rain to stop. It finally did about 8am Sunday. Glad we stayed for the race. It was fun having all day Saturday to walk around and talk. Oh and tag a few cars ....
    IMG_1195.JPG

It was Cinco De Mayo after all

IMG_1196.JPG

And it rained

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1199.JPG

No matter - we had church service Sunday morning - dried the track and raced!

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thanks for the picture Tony.
    Do you have a SS class running with you now?

loudbang, enloe and Dog_Patch like this.
  5. Yes!!!!!

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Dang! I need to get out more.:cool:

loudbang, enloe and Dog_Patch like this.
  7. One last shot from the ride home - carry spare bearings that's all I'm gonna say.
    IMG_1201.JPG IMG_1202.JPG

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Oh man I feel your pain.
    Last year for me.

loudbang, Dog_Patch and enloe like this.
  9. jim snow

jim snow

Well, didja havem?Snowman

10. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Having trailer issues on the side of the road is even worse than breaking the car at the track.

11. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Spare bearings and a good file so you can clean the spindle up. Been there and done that, it sucks. Thanks for all the pics, I wish I could have made it but things came up.

12. catdad49

catdad49

Great pictures, sorry for the trailer troubles. Love the Cinco de Mayo pic!

13. Sometimes I feel like there's someone watching over my dumb ass. No didn't have them.

A car full of people went by honking and doing the thumbs up - not the 'hey you're on fire - so I do the Chevy Chase grin and smile. Then I looked back at my cool ride :eek: I don't think they saw the smoke - not sure - the exit was literally 20 yards away. Dove off the exit. Get out with the extinguisher and water (which probably warped the hell out of the drum - but I wanted the smoke to stop.

There was little bubbles coming out from around the grease cap. I'm like "damn that's hot" better get the cap off. So in my wisdom I hit the cap with a hammer. BOOM! It flies straight at my nuts and rings them like a boxer at the gym. Down I went.

So I'm sitting there in the gravel going you can't make this shit up. I look up on the hill ADVANCE AUTO PARTS! It was like cutting your arm in front of the emergency room entrance. Back on the road in 30 minutes. A little wiser.

It was a great race - don't ever want to do that again - I'm glad it worked out but man it was slippery and mud in the pits. Never forget that race for sure. The track conditions put different people in the winners circle because it took some skill to get from point A to point B. The Avalon hit the wall but not enough to stop racing so he kept at it.

14. jim snow

jim snow

Good stuff.Sorry about your discomfort. It's never boring. Thanks for the photos. Hope to catch you at Myrtle Beach. Snowman

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  15. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

TKS ! Was wondering how it went.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Thx for the pics Tony, and glad Advance Auto was nearby. If it had to happen, it did so under more or less best circumstances except for the "Nut Shot":eek:
    But really it doesn't have to happen at all:
    )1) ditch the hub caps on the trailer
    (2) Go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheapo infra red/laser temp gun, maybe $20-$30, they aren't totally as accurate as the more expensive ones, but what we're looking for here is a difference in temps
    (3) EVERY TIME YOU STOP AND GET OUT,check all the tires and wheel bearings. You'll spot low tire pressures way before failure and the same for wheel bearings. The removal of hub caps just makes it easier:rolleyes:
    Been dragging trailers around for over 60 years, and we used to have to put a hand on them, but the temp guns are safer and much more sensitive. Usually you can spot a bad wheel bearing this way long before it fails like you have there.:cool:

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Tony when my wheel bearing was going out I had this gal in the passenger seat of the car passing me tell me I was smokin......I said Thank You.....and was thinking she was talking about me. o_O

18. loudbang

loudbang

thanks for taking the time to post all these photos with your nuts in a hammock LOL :eek:

19. glrbird

glrbird

My Dad thought me to Clean and repack the bearings every spring on anything that had trailer in its name, horse trailer, car trailer, etc. never thought of wearing an athletic cup to work on trailers though. Wow!!

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

chryslerfan55 and Dog_Patch like this.
  21. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

When Doc Sipple took over that track he resurfaced it and it was the best hooking track in the country. They've resealed it a few times since Doc had it but it really needs to be resurfaced. I don't know what Scotty has done, haven't raced there in 6 yrs. Drainage sucks there, but I've seen water standing one day and the sun would come out and it'd be dry the next. Maybe when all this no prep stuff goes away, they will start thinking about making tracks hook again. With your cars it's a safety thing, back in 67 they weren't making this kind of power.

22. catdad49

catdad49

Tony, I feel your pain( well, not really)! Thanks for the painful lesson, hope you didn't swallow your ceegar. Hope you're feeling better, Carp.

23. southcross2631

southcross2631

Used a friends trailer a couple of years ago to deliver a car from Fl. to Mn and as soon as I got into Mn.
    stopped for gas and saw a wobbling wheel. Took the wheel off at an Advance Auto parts parking lot and they did not have what I needed ,but there was a trailer sales place a mile up the road who had everything .
    the guy I borrowed the trailer from told me that the bearings were just packed so I did not check them as I usually do on any trailer I use. I pulled the rest of the wheels and they were all dry. A guy saw me working on the trailer and gave me his phone number and told me that if I needed help he had a complete machine shop at his farm a few miles away. Car guys usually offer assistance wherever you are.
    Lesson learned never leave on a trip without checking the bearings yourself.