Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Lets keep this great thread on topic.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I agree, the Beethoven stuff, in fact any music stuff is off topic, and the moderators will be killing the thread,and although I'm thankful for what the guys did in Vietnam, this isn't the place for it, and even though I'm a retired aircraft machinist and mildly interested, the aircraft stuff is off base also.

mad mikey likes this.
  3. captmullette

captmullette

tony bought an airplane ?

enloe likes this.
  4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Bobby, you need to go back about 1 page or so and read up till now and you'll understand what's being discussed.

5. captmullette

captmullette

just a joke DOM, had to take a break on the car and put on some more bandaids.........

brEad, Dog_Patch and enloe like this.
  6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

OK, and I understand, I just picked up another clutch disc and pressure plate plus adjustable hydraulic TO brg shipped to me via 2nd day air from McLeod that my wore out old ass will be installing in BGII over the next couple of days.
    Will hit 80 this year and this ain't getting any easier, I'll tell you that.

7. agreed.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  8. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I don't want to highjack, this will not be a Southeast Gasser legal car. But the Hemi is pretty similar to Dogpatches, and I figured the oil control info might be helpful. Ishihara Johnson now has a pattern for the crank scraper, so it should be pretty easy to get one for your Dodge. Mines's a .060 over 392, 4.525 Moldex crank, Milodon steel 4 bolt main caps on 2, 3, & 4; TR Waters main stud girdle, oliver steel rods, 13.:1 diamond pistons. Hot Heads by the esteemed portologist Bossman. It is still a work in progress, the car hasn't run yet. Since it is for street/strip, I'm pumping a lot of oil to the rocker gear so it will survive. I ran it on the dyno last year, with one -8 drain line from each head to the pan. I have a sight glass on the pan to monitor oil level with the engine running. On a dyno pull. it was holding 8 quarts in suspension or in the heads! And it smoked. So I am adding another drain line to each head, and adding the crank scraper. I should know the results pretty soon. It's going in a 31 Plymouth coupe, planning to run Drag Week.

[​IMG]

9. Wow that is really similar to my engine. So even with the -8 lines to the pan it was filling the heads? :eek: Its really weird to me that I ran 2 years with no drain and no smoke. I'll get in touch with Ishihara since your pattern probably will work - the stock 392 was way off on the stroker. If my problems continue, I will put a oil restriction in it. I'm not driving that far and in 8 more races, the stuff goes back to Nick to look over anyway.

loudbang, mad mikey and Fiddle Picker like this.
  10. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I don't know if it was filling the heads, or in the crank windage or what, but it wasn't in the bottom of the pan. I might have had the returns to the pan too low, but I'm not sure. I raised them up a bit and added two more for the next test.

loudbang, mad mikey and Dog_Patch like this.
  11. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Drag week, That's a bucket list item for sure. Shit I was getting annoyed with OT posts myself now look at me

mad mikey and Dog_Patch like this.
  12. I will post pics later what oil restrictors will do with missle rockers. its not pretty or recommended. the rockers need 35 lbs minimum oil pressure all the time. the oil needs to be able to get to the intake adjuster screw. if it was me I would be pulling the pistons on that side to check the oil control rings. i have seen the wavy oil ring get over lapped on itself before the other two rings went on. this situation would for sure cause a smoke screen. not having returns is not the only issue here. there is something else going on. a bad oil ring would not show up on a leak down or compression test. I put a number 12 fitting in the back of each valve cover thinking that's were the oil would be under hard accellration. just like a oil pan.positioned in the middle of the head the rear half would have to fill up before it started to work.

402BOSSMAN, loudbang, ottoman and 2 others like this.
  13. I talked to Gene Adams at length about the drain and he wanted it below the oil line. His reason was that if you pick an arbitrary place about the oil line it could get in a heavy splash zone and that would fight the returning oil. I put the return below the oil line. Hope this is the end of this issue. Nick wants me to cut open the top of an old valve cover and look in there to see what's going on.

402BOSSMAN and loudbang like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Need to find the magic spot so it works like the header evac system.

Dog_Patch, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  15. you wont see a problem at idle. you could run the engine at a idle with the covers off. if the cam journal is grooved that would result in alot more oil getting upstairs.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Nocero

Nocero

I love reading all these southeast gasser build threads, and love watching the YouTube videos Is there a website or list of tracks you run and rules?

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Google Southeast Gasser Association and you will find the website with schedule and rules.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Not sure if you do Facebook but the most up to date page is there.

SEG_2017.jpg Unionposter.JPG

19. Nocero

Nocero

20. Finally got tired of the access hole to the clutch springs - posting so anyone running a RAM cintered iron might save some time if you do this on the bench instead of the car. I used a drill, hole saw and a air powered sawzall .

903840-882-85.jpg

21. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

So now you're going to add clutch dust to your crop-dusting runs? Pretty soon you'll get outta the car and look like John Force, all sooty-faced! ;)

22. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I probably missed this in the last 113 pages of this thread, but earlier on you had a Hightower trans. Now you have a Jerico. What happened?

23. allwilly

allwilly

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  24. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

I had a discussion with Jim Oddy about this very subject at one of the AA/G races in Buffalo. He said you don't need oil drain lines if you have adequate breathers. He said he has never had any problem with oil puddling in his Hemi heads. His blown Hemi (354) Willys gasser regularly turns sub 5 second elapsed times in the 1/8 mile.

loudbang likes this.
  25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Tony, not having seen that bell hsg before and that pic being so close up on it when taken, its hard to visualize what you've done, but Hopefully that'll make adjusting an easier job.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Yeah missed 3rd about 50% of the time - then broke the shaft on 3rd because it was gonna go damn it - $700 to fix it and it missed 2nd 2x so I sold it cheap. The Jerico - - knock on wood has never missed. Probably the driver seat position is too high in my car because the 55 Chevy guys shift the hell out of the Hightower.
    Here's a better pic? Just having a hole you can't see in was some of the issue.
    IMG_4997.JPG

loudbang and Hang'emHigh like this.
  27. allwilly

allwilly

Only downside to ur mod is it won't pass a true nhra tech inspection

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  28. No Hot Rods Allowed

Hatchet, Mtn Goat and loudbang like this.
  29. greybeard360

greybeard360

Make a bolt on cover for the hole... Probably pass then. There are scattershields made with large removable plates just for adjusting the clutch.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  30. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

NHRA guys ain't having half the fun the SEG are having ,or putting on half the show.