Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Heres a few russian hacked spy photos. Dont run restrictors with roller rockers. They need a constant 35lbs of oil pressure. A nitro dragster can get away with restrictors because they are pre oiled before a run. They are also towed around. The total running time is very short. To change the valley cover a head needs to come off or slide it forward but this makes a big mess. 20170418_091246.jpg 20170418_091302.jpg 20170418_091144.jpg

Mtn Goat, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Thx Racer-X, for the pics and the info. I've never twisted a wrench on a hemi, always been kind of intimidated by their complexity, sheer size, and weight.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  3. That's how I feel about Circus Bear.

loudbang, PBRmeASAP and Dog_Patch like this.
  4. I've witnessed, first hand, at least once where that intimidation was pushed by the wayside and you waled on him with a pillow at the Rainbow. Tony was there, but may have been asleep. Don't think it phased him much, but was hilarious none-the-less.

loudbang and Big A like this.
  5. Awesome info racer-x ! I thought you guys had done something to improve the flow. I've been pouring the oil very carefully in the valve cover with the #1 or #2 plug out for 3 seasons - it doesn't get into the cylinder, use a flashlight and take your time. BUT - believe it or not this first start on this engine was all poured in the valley because the intake and cover were off. It didn't start this goofy smoking until I drove it around to warm it up. Never smoked loading on the trailer and initial testing. So it does make me think it was oil pilling up on the exhaust valves which have no seals. Then to really fog it down the evac tube was on the lower back of the cover so it probably got deep enough to Exxon Valdeze and that's when I was waived off the starting line.

Now - the valley pan is getting swapped out to one with a real baffle and fill tube. You can remove it with the radiator on and so right now is a perfect time to swap that. I'll shot some pics tonight. All good info - Smithberg was not interested in limiting the oil flow to the rockers either .

Try this video - its not the season opener but a real good one -

loudbang likes this.
  6. Right asleep - nobody slept with the bear roaring all night. o_O I actually attempted to share a bed with the Bear when we went to GNRS - the blanket never touched me. It was like sleeping in a lean to :eek: don't know how Melissa does it.

loudbang, PBRmeASAP and Big A like this.
  7. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Quick and Dirty and 57 more Southeast Gasser legal cars already pre entered at Shady Side Dragway in Shelby NC April 29th.

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Let's get ready to ruuumble.

loudbang, Dog_Patch and Quain Stott like this.
  9. The oil drain back hole was about 50% plugged with the Hylomar boogers. After looking at these holes, I would have opened them up and aligned them better when this was on the engine stand. The hole in the head an the hole in the block are only 75% aligned. This is probably why last 2 years it never smoked like a bug fogger - the drain back was ok for 1/8th mile passes. If I don't run out of time, I'll drop the pan and do a Racer-x hose. The 1" spacers would make it super easy on the top. Dropping the pan is lower on the list still.

1. Add steering stops on the front axle
    2. Clearance the front shock holes in the frame
    3. Fix my wobbling fuel pump - reinstall front cover
    4. Put in the new valley cover
    5. Build headers

No problemo.

Not sure what to say other than if you want to run a Hemi plan on making everything fit yourself ..... I do appreciate the replacement spud from Alky Digger but now I need to go see Johnny to get him to turn it down enough to fit inside the Milodon gear - guess its better than too small LOL - then hope the 3 holes are on center or I'll have to overnight something to @402BOSSMAN to get built.

IMG_4781.JPG

The new plan for a cleaner pan evac is to use a real 392 valley pan because its pretty well designed. The plan is to weld a T fitting to pull from both headers. Then a threaded bung to allow for real oil filling instead of pouring into the valve cover. This stuff never ends from what I can tell .......

IMG_4780.JPG IMG_4779.JPG

10. I have a few question? How do you better align the holes when the blocks dowel holes register the gasket and head? The other question is do the spacers come with longer spark plug tubes?

loudbang likes this.
  11. I was going to use a carbide bit and have my way with the block and the Hot Heads drain holes :rolleyes: My Clark Gaskets are made for alky cars so there are no water holes in those either, I opened a ton of holes on the .062 copper.

Yeah those spacers are 1" taller and the shipping box for the new tubes came from Titan in California.

loudbang likes this.
  12. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Shouldn't take but an evening or two to accomplish that list! I've been tinkering on mine this week, probably slowed it down a tenth if i was betting

loudbang, Dog_Patch and Higgy's Henry like this.
  13. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Don't be cutting the Quick and Dirty any slack now!!!

14. i gave Richard a stock head gasket ten years ago. he can make gaskets for you with holes already in them. I get mine from clark also. just specify its for a water application. this should save you some time.

15. Mtn Goat

Mtn Goat

How's the sedan delivery running? Still fighting the over heating problem?

16. Its great now - the heating issues were really caused by the wooden push board on the front - but after switching to a fan shroud with 2 fans it will sit in traffic all day too.

Well not sure what they are sending me. I drill the holes that SCE has - which match the Hot Heads and cast iron block ports pretty well. I just didn't have much luck with the red sealing rings on the SCE stuff.

Actually most of the holes are in the Clark but not all of them ......

627360-267-23.jpg

loudbang and Tudor like this.
  17. well that's comforting to know. I just bought a set from good vibrations with the red O-rings. this would be the first time trying them. I was told by a few guys they are a one time use for the O-rings. the gaskets im told can be reused after all the red material is removed. I was also told not to rely on the O-rings alone for a seal. it was recommended to still use silicone.

18. Must be an addiction ..... having too much trouble firing off the 15.5:1 when its hot and you need to shut off in the lanes - so - going to try an MSD AL6 and shelve the magneto for a while. Thing is I need the mechanical tach dizzy - not a very common item on a Chrysler.

dizzy.jpg

Then to double check the hall effect thingy is still producing a signal - borrowed a scope from work :)
    This is 5v per division so its a pretty big signal. This is a modern ready to run electric dizzy.

The early one is smaller in amplitude but its got a similar shape so hope the MSD is ok with it.

sonic03bluegt and loudbang like this.
  19. Does that mean your stereo is NOT going to whine with RPM anymore like my old 300 WATT Pyramid did?

loudbang, PBRmeASAP and Dog_Patch like this.
  20. Yes! Finally we can have Led Zeppelin 3 The Emigrant Song blasting in the burnout box!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigrant_Song

Yeah I want one of these bad but they still get $2500 for these on Ebay. We call them Barbie Scopes at work.

loudbang likes this.
  21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I bet I could come up with a Snap on scope for you if think it would work for you.

22. 665.0coupe

665.0coupe
    from Salina, KS

Wikipedia says that song was written in 1970. I don't think that fits with the 1967 rule book. Just kidding!

23. Well moving right along ....

The conversion to an MSD box is done - not fired yet.

IMG_4798.JPG

And of course none the tach cables fit the late 60's electronic dizzy - another 10 minute job that went into an hour .... had to carefully drill out the pud in the dizzy to a bigger size
    IMG_4792.JPG

Got the timing cover and fuel pump wabbling drive problem fixed and then went on to making headers - how hard can it be? You just run a tube to each one of the exhaust ports?

IMG_4799.JPG

First tube was like 10 minutes :) I am giggling and drinking coffee at 8am - I found something more fun than bending valves :D

IMG_4803.JPG

24. At 7pm ........ all my fingers are bleeding and shit is not funny anymore ......

IMG_4806.JPG IMG_4804.JPG

catdad49, 402BOSSMAN, Hatchet and 6 others like this.
  25. One last cool pic shot by Caleb Sewell
    IMG_4800.JPG

catdad49, Duellym, 402BOSSMAN and 5 others like this.
  26. Tony, Did you consider making a plug to easily disconnect the MSD box if you need to weld anywhere on the car?

Those headers look Boss man - First time = awesome dude

Mtn Goat, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

For once I agree with Josh on all counts:eek: You do need a way to electrically isolate the MSD when welding, and a cannon plug would be great to do it quickly and easily.:D
    Amazing to me that you got that much done in one day on the headers:D

Mtn Goat and Tudor like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

Nice engine blanket :)

[​IMG]

Mtn Goat and Dog_Patch like this.
  29. The new MSD boxes come with a water proof plug now - just unplug! How sensitive are they? Just one snap and your dead? Or is it somewhat tolerant to welding a little ?

I didn't take a pic of the ugly stuff ;)

But that all just tacked in. Gotta put in the .022 wire tonight and try to finish weld all those joints.

Yeah the wife made that like 8 years ago and Tudor proved that a plasma torch will catch it on fire......:D

Hang'emHigh, Tudor and loudbang like this.
  30. Is it just me, or does Tudor tend to prove LOTS of things like that :D?