Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dodge Red Ram Hemi questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gas4blood, Feb 1, 2008.

1. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

I just picked up the first Hemi I ever owned. It is a '55-'56 Red Ram, supposed to be a 270. Pretty nice, pulled 10 years ago from a running car. It is completed from flywheel to fan, pan to air cleaner. It was a stick. My question is what bellhousings will fit? I would guess the big block Hemi's won't, but I don't know about DeSoto, and I'm guessing the Dodge bellhousings would fit from any year. The next question is how do I know it if I see it in a swap meet? And finally, and suggestions on a good standard trans that doesn't cost a mint or require massive alterations? Will the stock 3 speed take some guff and live?
    Thanks!
    BobW

2. lolife

lolife

Most everyone gets an adapter from wilcap or hot heads and uses a modern transmission. Unless you're into a restoration, the old stuff is just really heavy junk. No one really brings that stuff to swap meets, but if they did, you would recognize the bellhousing as a massive chunk of iron, and the three speed as a dinky little box with no synchro's in first gear.

I put a 700R4 behind mine, and it will shift manually or automatic. I'm getting lazy in my old age... I like the overdrive.

3. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

What's cool about the Red rams is that the Bell is the same as the Big block early hemi's. The problem is the old trans were Very Large Very Heavy and poor gearing. Lot's of options on the redram and I too will say Wilcap is hand down the best place to get what you need, and more so if your not sure. They will school you on the options and make a great product. I have a 241 in my 32 , I run a 350 turbo .:D

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I have a t5 behind mine.....All Wilcap

5. silent rick

silent rick

with the exception of the extended bell chryslers, all 3 families share the same bellhousing bolt pattern.
    so if you see a cheap one for a desoto or chrysler, it will work on your dodge.

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

On my 392 powered (Dare I say it?) Vega I found that a SBC Lakewood blow shield was very easy to redrill to fit the MoPar bolt circle. The blowshield was also easy to modify to fit a top loader and with a spacer, later longer trans. (Pinto, don't ask) I did have to turn the flywheel down to fit a Chevy ring gear. The Chrysler part would not fit in the bellhousing. I used a Chevy starter.

7. 73RR

73RR

If you want to run a Mopar A-833 manual then call and we'll chat...

8. I'm running an A833 using a fifties Dodge bell and a homemade adapter plate.

9. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Thanks for the info, guys! Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but I couldn't resist. You know how it goes........."Wow, cool orphan metal project stuff! Gotta have it!" Damn thing is heavy, that's for sure. Dumb choice for an engine, practical wise. If I was practical, I wouldn't be here. I won't do it, but I have imagined this in my '32 woodie.
    BobW