Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dodge rear axle question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blacktopicasso, Oct 10, 2014.

1. blacktopicasso

blacktopicasso

Possibly a little off topic but it's applying to my hotrod build. Does any one know if the A100 vans and truck rearends are the 8 3/4 size. I know they are 5x4.5 wheels. The rearends are very narrow. If it's an 8 3/4, will the pumpkins swap with car 8 3/4's.

2. porky55

porky55

I've only seen them with 8 3/4s. I'm pretty sure all 8 3/4s third members will interchange the difference is the yoke. That can be switched. Someone else will post and correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. ^You are correct.

4. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

1965 was a change over year for Chrysler product rear axles. Rear axle assemblies made in 64 and before had a corporate rear axle similar to an 8 3/4 with keyed axle shafts with tapered flanges that were held on with a large nut. The 66 and newer rear axle shafts were one piece units with the flange as part of the shaft, these were what we call the 8 3/4 rear ends. The 65 vehicles could have had either axle assembly. There are very few parts that interchange between the two axle assemblies, through many parts swapped within each assembly family. The easy identifying feature is the axle flange nut, if there is one there, any swapped parts have to come from an assembly with the nut. There wasn't a lot of gear choices with the axle nut assemblies, and info is scarce on them.

If your axles don't have the flange nuts, your life is good. Center sections from 66 to 74 interchange as a unit. Gene

5. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I have to disagree. The changeover to the 8 3/4" happened in 1957. Yes, the castle nut was there until 1965, but it was still an 8 3/4" if it was built after 1957. I will agree that the early versions prior to 1957 did look a lot like an 8 3/4", but were nowhere near as strong and that interchangability within the early 60's rears was sketchy at best.

6. Yup, I ran the center section out of my 57 rear in later model housings with no trouble.

7. George

George

Guess he should have said "modern" began in '65.

8. He was spot on that the tapered axles went away for 65

9. 73RR

73RR

If it has a removable center (pumpkin) then it is an 8¾ and as has been noted, lots-o-interchanges. Check my web site for some of the details.

10. blacktopicasso

blacktopicasso

Thanks everyone for the information.