Register now to get rid of these ads!

dodge l6 Plymouth l6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classiccarman, May 9, 2013.

1. classiccarman

classiccarman

Is there a difference in between a dodge and Plymouth l6? Im trying to find a duel carb intake for a dodge l6. also should I get the duel exhaust setup for an l6? I am building a 1949 dodge wayfarer business coupe. If anyone has these parts please let me know. Im trying to get it done in a few weeks since its summer.
    Thanks

2. All sixes were essentially the same... Which kind of six? Slant or fat head?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

Different crank plymouth is 218 ci dodge is 230 ci otherwise mostly the same. Stroke your plymouth by putting in a dodge crank. If i remember correctly....

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. classiccarman

classiccarman

It is a flat head, im just confused about the intake I really want to run a duel carb but I don't want to wait 6 weeks, but I did find a Plymouth one in stock

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Dodge and Plymouth use same engine block, intake, and exhaust. Plymouth was 217 cu in, Dodge 230. The difference was a 1/8" longer stroke for the Dodge. This was achieved with different crankshaft and rods. Even the pistons and rings were the same.

There may be other small differences like a different carburetor and distributor. Different head, with smaller combustion chambers in the Plym.

A Canadian made Dodge or Plymouth has a completely different engine, related to Chrysler and DeSoto but we won't go there.

6. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Tom Langdon at STovebolt has a lot of stuff for the L6....

I have the front grill piece, for a 1941 Kingsway, I also have the stock complete front axle brakes and uprights for a 41 Plymouth.....

I would love to clear some of this stuff out...... I think I have the distributer as well....... No performance parts.....

7. plymouth52

plymouth52

No they are not the same.

Plymouth L6 is about 2 inches shorter than the dodge/chrysler counterparts
    Plymouth L6 take a smaller intake.

Moose (member on here made me a dual, couple of years ago)

8. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I thought the difference was the years as a result of the cid change....

Like the ones made in 1926 to 1932 versus the the 32's to the last run in 72.... and there was a 23 inch head and a 25 inch head..... but different cid's

9. TORR

TORR
    Member Emeritus
    from BOSTON, MA

10. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Classiccarman,
    Visit the P15-D24 website, and do a search. I'm sure you'll find out anything you ever wanted to know about the Mopar flatheads. And if not, post your question. Lots of Mopar knowledgeable folks there.

11. the stock engine in your Wayfarer uses the same intake as the stock engine in same year plymouths.

Measure the head. If it's 23ish inches long, the Plymouth intake is the correct one.

If it's 25ish inches--first of all it's not stock to the car---and second, you need an intake for a chrysler/desoto

12. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Unless of course it is a Canadian built car. they only made 25 inch blocks for Dodge Chrylser, Desoto and Fargo trucks. Offenhauser manifolds for dual 1 BBL carbs are available from several sources (Summit has them but not in the catalog) Vintage ones pop up on e bay at at swap meets from time to time. Fenton, Edmunds, Ellis are most common out there, but thre is the occasional Thickstun and Tattersfield also.

13. Since the 49 Plym and Dodge engines are essentially the same, you can use numerous
    Plymouth pieces on a Dodge.......starter, generator, coil, etc.....
    For a while I had a 1950 Dodge flathead in my 47 Plymouth. No problem. Could not
    tell any difference by looking. Main thing different.....there are like 8 holes in end of
    crankshaft to attach torque converter on Dodge. Only 5 on a Plymouth for the flywheel.

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They made the same flathead sixes from 1938 to 1954 (Chrysler and DeSoto) 1959 (Plymouth and Dodge cars) 1962 (Dodge trucks) 1968 (military vehicles like Power Wagon) 1972 (industrial and marine).

Short, 23 1/4" at the head, Plymouth/Dodge/Dodge truck.

Long, 25" DeSoto/Chrysler also used in heavy Dodge trucks, some Power Wagon, Canadian Plymouth/Dodge cars.

Same engines also sold as Crown Marine and industrial engines used in many types of machinery including Massey tractors and combines.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  15. classiccarman

classiccarman

Thanks everyone for the help I really appreciate it.

16. Slimjenkins

Slimjenkins

17. 58prostreet

58prostreet

Do like Geezer said. Go to the P15 D24 web site. I have a "52 Dodge and I got my dual intake and exhaust from Old Stovebolts. You can google them and call Tom Langdon.
    Bob

18. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Believe your wrong on the DODGE. Chrysler YES. Dodge and Plymouth SAME

19. alsancle

alsancle

This was always my understanding too. Dodge And Plymouth are 23.25 inch blocks and the Desoto, Chyrsler and Trucks were 25 inch blocks.