Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical dodge 230 oil pump (high flow options)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sactownog, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

Does anyone know if there is a HIGH FLOW option for the dodge 230 flat 6 engine? my block is 1953.

I have seen someone rebuild them so that they run more efficiently, however I am wondering if there is a way to get a high flow pump for better oil pressure.

These engines seem to run fairly well with the stock pump, just looking for better.

2. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

No high flow pump that I know of. There are improvements that can be made to make the oiling system more efficient. Rods 2,3,4,5, have a tendency to starve for oil at high rpm for long period of time. Number 2 main supplies rods 2,3 with only one hole. Crank needs to be cross drilled in this area. Same thing is going on at main 3 and rods 4,5. Another area is the main bearings. New bearings do not match the holes in the block well. Make the holes align and same size. Some may be as much as half hole off. The oil grooves in the mains are narrow. Make the groove as wide as the oil hole. At least make them larger. With these improvements oil pressure will increase and it will stay together. Hope this helps. L Hud

302GMC likes this.
  3. there just isn't a need. A properly blueprinted pump IS a "high flow" pump, as compared to stock. There are plenty of guys out there beating on these engines in one way or another, and I have yet to read a first hand account of anyone blowing one of these up and blaming the oil system.

The old standby "10psi per 1000rpm" is perfectly fine for these engines.

Hud is right about the feed holes in the bearings - they just don't make 'em like they used to.

build the engine right, use proper oil clearances, put good oil in it, and convert it to full flow filtering. it'll last longer than it would've in the 50's.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  4. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

My stock pump 56 230, with 40k miles on it starts @ 62psi, carries 42psi when hot, shows 25 psi at hot idle. Running 15w40 diesel oil since rebuild. Can't see where you would need much more than that unless it's a full competition build.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019