Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dodge 1936 Flathead Six Dist. Fireing Order

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willymakeit, Mar 31, 2015.

1. willymakeit

willymakeit

I know the firing order of the 36 flathead six. What I cannot find is a picture of where No. 1 is located on the distributor. I also know if it has jumped time ect. there will be issues.
    Im trying to help a friend out without seeing the car ect. Just a starting point. The old Motor or Chilton books used to show this but I cannot find mine.
    Thanks in advance.

2. go to one of the mopar websites!

3. willymakeit

willymakeit

I did but couldn't find it. Not much help are ya.

4. gatz

gatz

This pic is from a '40 Chrysler Shop Manual.
    Chrysler didn't change much throughout their product line for decades.
    Can't imagine these engines "jumping time"
    gatz

6 cyl dist & firing order_2.jpg

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

In the head there is a small pipe plug over the #6 cylinder. If you remove the plug you can drop a screwdriver down on the piston and see it rise and fall as you turn the engine by hand. This allows you to find top dead center.

#1 and #6 rise and fall together. You can tell which is on compression by the *woosh* of air out the plug hole.

When the piston is at TDC and #1 is on compression the rotor is pointing to #1 firing position.

By checking this way there is NO mistake about it. Timing marks can be wrong but this method is fool proof.

6. willymakeit

willymakeit

Thanks for your replies. This is what I needed. I'm not around the car yet so I can relay this.
    Once again many thanks.