Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Doc Knoch's Land Speed Hupmobile Needs Headlights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cord Blomquist, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Cord Blomquist

Cord Blomquist

A.jpg

I'm finishing the restoration of a land speed race car that was run at Bonneville several times in the 1930s. It was owned by Dr. Norbert "Doc" Knoch, a physician from Colorado, who happened to be on hand in 1937 when Ab Jenkins needed shrapnel from a tire blowout pulled from his arm.

The doctor's Hupp was also one of the first landspeed projects of Bill Kenz, who would go on to run the Ford racing team and set several records of his own at Bonneville with his partner Roy Leslie.

I posted a complete history of the Bonneville Hupp, including links to dozens of photos and scans of original documents that accompany the car, at the H.A.M.B. in March which you should check out if you're interested in salt flats history. The car is also featured on the White Glove Collection website including new photos of the car with the upholstery freshly done.

This restoration project was started by my father, Rick Blomquist, who passed away in July of this year. I want to make sure I finish the project with the best result possible and I hope folks on the forum can offer me a bit of advice.

My main concern right now is with headlights. The car never ran with headlights at Bonneville, but we know that Doc Knoch drove the car to Bonneville from his home in Denver, so he presumably had headlights on the car during those long drives.

What headlights would you suggest I mount on the car? In the photo above you can see the chrome brackets mounted to the bumper that at one time were holding Trippe lights, so you can see where we plan to mount headlights. I'm considering Woodlite headlights, as they would be accurate to the period and match the sleek body styling of the car, especially the "salt scoops" behind the front wheels. However, I'm open to other suggestions. Thank you in advance for your input on this incredible project.

2. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Wonderful history ,with some heavy hitters from back in the day involved. Because of the cars unique design and streamlined history,I suggest e an j,s headlights. I think theyd suit

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Sorry for the loss of your father.I remember the March posting,beautiful car.

Asphalt Demon likes this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

No lover of E&J lamps, but I have to agree w/@Asphalt Demon. Era and styling considered, they would look aesthetically correct.

5. Cord Blomquist

Cord Blomquist

Any thoughts outside of E&Js? I want a few nominations here so we have some choices to discuss.

6. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aren't E+Js and Woodlites two different things? This pic I stole off the web looks pretty darn good with the Woodlites!

11856577_462808250555780_514651166_n.jpg

Stogy, Ranchero59 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

If shying away from streamlined , And cost of those mentioned, the humble model t light would also look right at home, I think they are very underrated ?or a larger diameter light of around 8 inches with flat glass, The options are endless . It's very hard for someone else to nail down what you think should look right? Why not try the photoshop thread ? They can put pictures of headlights on the car and that will help with choice Johnny

Hnstray and Stogy like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences on you and the family on your loss. You have done a wonderful job with that. Headlights how bout the stockers or something of that class of car in similar year. Whatever your choice please do share.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My first thought was E & J (or similar shaped custom made).........I thought Woodlites suggestion was good too, until seeing the photoshop. Too bulky, IMO, if they are to scale.

Ray

10. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

KIMG1501.JPG KIMG1516.JPG 1 for E&J, kinda hard to beat the design for era... But I did think about 32 Essex I helped my buddy pick up from the Paint shop, the glass has a neat taper to it

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  11. Cord Blomquist

Cord Blomquist

I got a pait of E&J lights refurbished and installed thanks to my friends at Koenig Performance in La Crosse, Wisconsin.

Here's how it turned out:

IMG_6255.JPG IMG_6256.JPG IMG_6257.JPG IMG_5760.jpeg IMG_5761.jpeg IMG_6263.JPG IMG_6265.JPG IMG_6266.JPG IMG_6267.JPG IMG_6268.JPG IMG_6269.JPG IMG_6270.JPG

This car will be for sale at the RM Sotheby's auction in Auburn, Indiana this on Friday, August 31, 2018.

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Did the doctor ever say why he chose Hupmobile?

13. philo426

philo426

Woodlites would be cool!perhaps you can put in those bright bulbs to overcome the dimness ptoblem the originals had.

14. philo426

philo426

E&J lights look great too!

15. Cool car... looks like it should have Gary Cooper or some other 30’s Hollywood star in the driving seat.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app