Register now to get rid of these ads!

Doane Spencer exhaust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tikidiablo, Apr 9, 2007.

1. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

So I am making some belly pan sides for my A coupe. They are out of F1 rear fenders that had some serious bondo molding on them.
    Anyways What I would like to do is run some torque tube or tapered exhaust tubing cutouts through the belly pan sides. I will run a full exhaust and uncork them from time to time.

I guess I will mig weld these tubes to the pan sides together . Now is this going to make the whole pan side get real hot? Will it be impossible to keep this painted? I thought about spraying the pan sides w/ engine paint . Anybody have any experience with this sort of situation?
    I have a pic of the belly pan sides w/ some photoshoping done for a visual.
    Thanks,

Danny

Attached Files:

2. Clark

Clark

I think the Spencer car had a tube inside of what was welded to the frame. I would do the same with what you're doing. The exhaust will move too much and get too hot. Mold a 3" exhaust tube to your pan and run 2 1/2" pipe inside it. Maybe even smaller.
    Clark

3. Anderson

Anderson

I've been thinking about this too...however I wont be using a bellypan. Did Doane's car have the whole framerail cut out so the exhaust passed through it for a few feet, or did it just look like that...and have the exhaust sticking through the rearmost part?

4. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Thanks guys . I guess now that you guys mention it , both ways are possible. Exhaust tubing inside of exhaust tubing, or just weld a piece of tubing the length of the belly pan and just have the real exhaust come out at the very end.
    I am running a model A frame and have some room to work with behind the belly pan side.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If you are running a complete belly pan, the exhaust won't get any cooling air like a normal installation.

[​IMG]

I get no paint burns from my lakes pipes. 3/8" clearance. With an air gap around the pipe the only heat transfer is radiant heat. It will radiate a lot of heat but not enough to burn the paint on the frame. IMHO A full belly pan will retain a lot of heat under the body.

Mustang GTs and some Mopars had tailpipes exiting through the rear valance panel with no problems. Of course they had plenty of air circulation to cool the pipes before it got all the way to the rear.

6. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Thanks Tommy, just doing the sides. What kind of caps are those?

7. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Hey Tiki...

If I were going with a full belly-pan, I think I'd do some stubby fairings for the exhaust exit and either have it exit right behind the front wheels Ala' Navarro Roadster, or right in front of the rear wheels like the So Cal tank...

I've done lots of photoshops on different cars and the Spencer style exhaust doesn't seem to look right to me on just about anything but the Spencer car...

Still might do it on my car though if I can make the proportions look right but I'm running a duece frame...

The Coupe is looking cool... Are those the rear wheels you got from me?

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Many old cars with belly pans have scoops with the opening to the rear mounted in the sides of the pan to evacuate the heat from the underbody when in motion.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Then you shouldn't have any different issues than a regular hot rod.

They say exhaust spec. on them. That's all I know. An Ebay find. They are the only ones I've ever seen. I did exhaust for 25 years.

10. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Yeah, I was pounding out some sheetmetal for something like this. I plan on adding some rivets to the belly pan sides to hold stuff together and just look good too. Not sure on the placement just yet. Both locations look good to me.

Thems is the wheels and the front ones I got from a mobile billboard in Watts! Traded the owner for some junk rollers with fresh Krylon.

Thanks tommy, guess I am going to make some .

11. I took this shot of the Spencer Roadster last year. Inspiration?

[​IMG]