Register now to get rid of these ads!

DO0E head worth saving?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by osage orange, Sep 22, 2013.

1. I have a pair of 1970 DO0E heads from a 351 Windsor that I'm hoping to restore. Before I do the usual porting and milling, what do you think about the combustion chamber corrosion? I think the maximum I can mill these heads is .040, and I doubt it will clean up the corrosion. Then there is the chamber condition: Pocked out a bit, too. These heads would need new valve guides and exhaust seat cut and inserted, too. If it was just dollars and cents, a used pair of better breathing heads would probably be not that much more than the machine work. Here's a pick of the worst chamber.

Attached Files:

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

find a better set of heads...

3. Thanks,FiddyFour. That's what I kinda figured. I'm probably going to shop for a running engine and get closer to putting this thing on the road.

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I have a set of 289 heads that I installed screw in studs,ported the exhaust,had bronze guides and chevy stainless valves put in and a nice valve job. Didn't do this all at once but over a couple of years. Ended up with around $700.00 in them and I can buy a better set of DART HEADS for that price or a little more. Think I wasted my time,hope you don't.:)

5. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Friends don't let friends waste money on 40 year old cylinder heads when they don't need to.

Unless you are doing some concours type build, tommy said it best. Aftermarket heads are so cheap nowadays you will spend as much getting those heads right as a brand new set that flows better out of the box.

6. I've got a pair of C9OE 351 60cc chamber heads that somebody gave me. It's funny now how these were the SBF hot lick a long time ago....

[​IMG]

These days by the time you added guides, seats, valves and studs you could have bought a real nice set of aluminum heads.....

Anybody need a couple of big door stops or anchors for a small boat? :rolleyes:

7. Boy Howdy! I think it is unanimous. I'll save my nickels and dimes for some Dart heads or equivalent. Likely to be shopping for any small block Ford just to get this on the road, but eventually want the 351. I think the block is probably worth a rebuild someday. It's a '77, and I've got the air-pump heads to go with it. They don't impress me and figure with new guides, seats, valves and studs, I'm still better off saving for the Dart heads.

Thanks H.A.M.B. Nation.

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ