Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do your projects start with an engine or a car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugsiegel, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Bugsiegel

Bugsiegel
    from New Jersey

Do you start a project by finding an engine or by finding a car?

2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Most guys probably start with a car then try to find an engine to stick in it unless they have one laying around then they try too use that.

3. Generally I start with the car. HRP

4. plaintoast

plaintoast
    from mora

for me it depends, I've done it both ways.
    nowadays, since i own an engine machine shop, i just sort of gather up good stuff
    and put something together when i have enough pieces to build a cool motor. my most recent one i built is a fairly typical 350, single carb edelbrock tunnel ram, some cast off, angle milled camel back heads and some forged dished pistons, the right cam makes for a fun, cheap gas powerplant for my 37 chev shop truck.
    other times I've had cars and built specifically for it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

6. Yes. But hell the T im collecting parts for stated with a pair of 53 buick taillights

7. My 36 im building started with a car. My 34 truck started with an engine and then tires and rims the truck came after. .[​IMG]

8. badshifter

badshifter

With a Quickchange.

9. mechanic58

mechanic58

Ha!!! Mine almost ALWAYS start with an engine - or sometimes even an engine part. I have a thing for engines - sometimes I'll find a neat old (rare) speed part ....then I'm like "Man..now I need a motor this'll fit on....", then I gather up an engine. Next thing ya know I have a running engine with nothing to put it in....then I start hunting the car. The problem with this is - usually - I get burned out before the whole thing gets finished (usually because by that time I've found some other neat engine part that requires a different engine and an entirely different car, etc). So you see...the process just repeats itself.

I'm onto it now though. Took about 25 years, but I'm finally onto it.

10. Mine start with a pile of parts, some times the engine or car changes mid project but the pile of parts is always the project.

11. belair

belair

I've got a 322 that I'm waiting for a Model A to go in.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A bare frame and a dream.

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Chalk marks on the garage floor usually. :D

Don

14. trollst

trollst

Always a car, with a definite plan before the car starts the build.

15. MISCONSTUDE

MISCONSTUDE

My Stude project, the car came first. I told my drag racing buddy I wanted a strange car with a stranger motor. 55 Champion Stude with a 430 Buick out of a 68 Riviera.

16. ive started with the car, the engine and even 1 body part

17. Christom

Christom

I always thought I would start with the car but my first traditional hotrod started engine first. I've always been keen on old flathead mills with all the good old stuff. I got the engine without really having the car planned out much. At one point I even considered an old style speed boat to put the engine in. Then a "nice" old '30 coupe body came along and the decision was made for me!

18. In Three of my four builds it started with a QC knowing that there was always a Roadster body in the mix so now I'll be looking for that right set of wheels and tires for my next Roadster build and I've been blessed with another Olds engine so I'm not worried about that.

Ditto!

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 48 started with a running/driving 75.00 Beater pickup that I drove to work the day after I got tags for it. It morphed from beater to hot rod pickup when I figured out that there was no way to get my T bucket done in time for the Street Rod Nationals in Tulsa in 1973. Looking back I don't think the truck was ready either but it had a new lacquer paint job and freshly done roll and pleat seat and a set of 15x7 Rally wheels off a coworker's departed 69 Z28

The Model A Vic started with buying a running 8-BA flathead from an Acquaintance and one piece at a time I am collecting parts. That no doubt will be the one I end up putting out the largest cash layout on when it's all said and done.

The little boat tail roadster project started out as what I know now is a 1919 Buick Cowl that I bought at a swap meet for 10.00 20 something years ago from a friend of Vince Alcott. Over the years I have collected parts one at a time and often given to me for the project and it might be a roller not long after I get the engine swap finished in my 71 GMC. Hopefully the hodge podge of parts will end up looking like what my brain hopes it will and not a pos.

20. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I've got a 327 Fireball coming out of an old boat. I know this motor is freshly rebuilt and it is seeking a hotrod project-with or without a nautical theme.

[​IMG]

In a sense, Dad's Speed Wagon started as an engine in search of a vehicle.

21. indyjps

indyjps

I've got 12 engines, so I guess I'm looking for a car. I built circle track claimer engines and stock rebuilds in the 90s, this is what's left. So whatever car I find will get a sbc.

22. 41 C28

41 C28

I've started two project engine first. Bought a donor 70 Dodge with a 318 a couple of years before getting my 48 Dodge. The 330 hemi about year before getting my A coupe.

Attached Files:

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An idea.
    Mostly bad ideas, very, very bad ideas!
    Some start with a car, hell one even started with three cars all lined up in my barracks block car park. My next project? If it ever happens, I have a 401 Nailhead, just need a car..........

Doc.

24. Brucekoukalaka

Brucekoukalaka
    BANNED

Mine start with a truck!!!:D:D:D[​IMG]

25. Kustomism

Kustomism

Usually I start with a car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Ok, I'll ask the dumb question. That isn't a 327 Chevy, so what 327 is it ? AMC? I would have said Y block but the 327 threw me off.

Don

27. ravedodger

ravedodger

Mine always started with a car until this hot rod bug got to me. When I started this project back in 09, it was with a set of frame rails, a banjo rear, a Model A front axle and a few other odds and ends. Now four years later, I still don't have the body I want but almost enough parts in the pile to have two rolling chassis. Could use a transmission or two. It's a disease I say and you guys aren't any help for me trying to get cured.

28. Leviman

Leviman

Mine start with engine sounds haha

29. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

I wanted to build an AV8, so I got a flathead engine. Block was no good. But it was a start. Later I bought a mostly complete 1930 coupe. Wanting to run 1936 axles, and other later parts. I ended up with a model A with no frame or body in parts. As I continued to collect parts for the AV8 I also found a frame and '27 T body. I now have a rolling AV8 project and a banger powered hot rod. The banger will be sold as whole car to fund the AV8.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Bought the cars and then decided on a drive train and suspension that suited. Choice is a little limited down here, not that much to choose from.