Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do your local police bother you to no end?!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by autoworx1, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Actually there pretty nice to me.
    They ask from time to time if the can leave the cruiser out front and hang around the garage for a while and see what I'm working on.
    I'm friendly and accommodating to them and they return the same attitude.
    They probably think I'm a little eccentric and too old to be a threat.
    "Lets go up the hill and see what that nut job gear-head and his buddies are building to outrun us with tonight."
    It helps that I keep donuts and coffee out in the shop for Saturday visitors. :rolleyes:

Customs are for getting women.........hot rods are for dumping them.

2. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

This seems to be the "norm" around here! They are just waiting to see someone drive through with an out of state tag or failing to stop for three full seconds at a stop sign. As for the fag comment, sorry all of us Midwest HAMBERS aren't as cool and tough as yourself. Most of us take pride in being humble!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  3. (BlueOval)

(BlueOval)
    from Slo-Cal

No but my parole officer does :mad:!!!!!! J/K;)

4. Sounds like the Beautiful Downtown Burbank PD hasn't changed. Go back almost 40 years when I was dating a nice young lady in Burbank, things would start as soon as I drove past the Warner Bros studio - I got their rent-a-cop following me until I entered the Burbank city limits and then it would be the BPD's turn to do so all the way up to that chick's parents' place. It happened every time I went to pick her up from home :rolleyes:

Maybe her dad had me followed, 'cause years later when I owned a house in the area I never got hassled?

Over here, on very rare occasions I get the local constabulary pulling up along side my R33 Skyline (considered a boy-racer's car) with them wearing their Intimidation Look. They're always shocked finding a greybeard behind the wheel, especially one who smiles at them and flips them off. :eek:

Revenge for all those nights that the LAPD and others used to stop me for no reason when I was a kid.

5. Cop stopped me a couple of years ago. Wanted to invite me to a car show at his church.

6. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

one of the local's has a 55 gasser so im in the clear with him. and another one has been cool about my cars ,now if i could just get the female (i think) sherriff on my side 8)

7. Deuces

Deuces

Give that man a cigar!! :D

8. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Salty, sounds like you and I have similar philosophies. When I worked the street, I made sure my guys knew the laws concerning the classics. Even gave a break or two to the '68 Camaro owner that would occasionally burn the hides in front of the local watering hole. I've always tried to be understanding when it comes to traffic violations- if I'm not driving an old car, I'm driving my '93 'vette, so I understand the temptation to play a bit.:D

9. Salty, five-oh, you sound like you've got your priorities right. I've got an 18 year-old grandson whom I'm constantly reminding that he's a target for those in law enforcement who don't share your guys' attitude of balance - I'm speaking from experience, when nearly four decades ago, I used to get stopped in my car for any minor excuse, never got cited, and generally hassled for having a "suspicious looking" car.

The one time I did get a ticket (much deserved, btw) the veteran officer who lit me up (for doing around 80 in a 35 mph zone) was more interested as to how a VW could do that in 3rd gear, and after a very polite lecture about the dangers of speeding on surface streets (I was my grandson's age at the time) wrote me up for only 52 MPH - he said I was a nice, polite kid and the fact that I stopped as soon as the lights went on - and sent me on my way.

These days, outside of the previously posted comment about Intimidation Looks when I'm in my rice rocket, I usually get smiles from our local law enforcement when driving one of the old cars or riding one of my sickels or scooters.

10. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

Thanks Bud! You seem like one of the guys that use to pull me over for stupid stuff, like "accelerating to fast". No BS, I had a cop pull me over for that. I got so sick and tired of bieng pulled over in my hometown, to the point I just didnt drive it there. Seemed eveytime I drove it I would get pulled over. I drove like a angel in town and did my best to keep it quiet.It was ovious profiling by one officer, because I had another car that he didnt know was mine, and I NEVER got pulled over in it. Same cop pulled my wife over a few years ago and asked how she was related to me because my name was on the reg. REAL jerk. I know there are good cops out there, and I'm not saying your not one of them. But pulling a guy over because his car is a "rice burner" is BS.

BTW, Im not talking about a rice burner, it was a 88 Dodge shadow. It burned corn not rice!

11. Only time I've ever been stopped around here with an old car was about a year ago here in Rockmart when a local Barney Fife (one of the few I didn't know personally) who pulled me and Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup over for "improper tag" because he didn't know the law on running year of manufacture tags. He was cool once I explained the law to him. Since then, I carry a copy of the code section about year of manufacture tags in the truck with me in case I meet up with another Barney who doesn't know the law. I work with the Department of Family and Children Services, and I've met most of the local law enforcement people from having to go out on after hours on call cases. One of my foster/adopt parents is a county police officer, another one is a 911 dispatcher. This is a small enough county that it's possible to know nearly everybody in law enforcement. A lot of our law enforcement officers around here are car people, so that helps. They generally won't bother you unless you drive like an idiot.

12. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

When I was younger I used to get stopped quite a bit, (I used to think only one ticket a year was a WIN) Speaking for myself, other than one "out of state" cop when I was 17, I have never been pulled over without cause.

I don't get get pulled over very often now, but I really try not to drive like a dick much anymore.

Way back when I was 17 I was pulled over in Arkansas, I lived in Arizona, I was driving a rental car with Texas plates when I missed my turn, made a right off the road to turn around and I spun the tires a little on the freshly chip sealed shoulder when making a Left out of the ditch.

"You been drinkin boy?"

"No sir"

"Why you drivin like that?"

"Driving like what sir?"

"Drivin how you was drivin."

I still remember word for word... :D

That cop "cut me a break" and wrote me a ticket for "hazardous drivin" that day, (he could have written a wreckless drivin ticket), only ticket I ever took to court, other than the atty costs, I guess I won that one.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  13. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I never understood that.I road bmx for 15 years so I know what its like-you would think they would leave you alone since your doing something that keeps you out of trouble.....but there has been a lot of skate parks built,at least where I live to give you a safe place to ride/skate now.

14. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I've had good luck with my hotrod, even a burbank cop cut me a break. Talk about lucky!

In return I now follow their traffic laws to the letter. I learned my lesson.

The cops I've met liked old cars I guess, they were all cool.

Maybe not coincidentally, they didn't seem to like ricers.

15. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

Don't know what 64 wildcat was doin to get pulled over by L.A.P.D. but when I was working for Chief Parker, we never had time to do "selective" enforcement. (in the 60s,70s, & 80s) I had an "old salt" training officer for a partner, and he imparted on me, that "every body has one, you don't have to be one" I always remembered that.:cool:

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have found that just not driving like a dick will avoid getting stopped for minor stuff..I blew a fuse on the way home one night and had no tail lights, cop stopped me, found a place for me to park and went and got me a fuse!!

17. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

Theres a few staties around here like you, they're into the chopper/bobber thing though. All of their bikes have no front fenders, no tag lights, no mirrors, but on the other hand, they don't mind safely done suicide axles, loud pipes, etc... Makes life really great when there is an understanding. Just wanted to say thanx;)

18. I like what your partner said. Frankly, I don't know why I was getting the treatment, and would certainly have accepted if I had done something wrong or there was a problem with my car (e.g. taillight out or similar). When stopped, I was always polite (I didn't drive in any condition other than stone-cold sober) and followed whatever instructions were given. Hey, when you're doing nothing wrong you've got nothing to hide, eh? :D

Obviously a few of your colleagues who worked the San Fernando Valley didn't get the message from your Chief. In the end, I go so fed up with getting stopped all the time that I sold the VW (minus the Porsche engine and other goodies) and bought a new Datsun pick-up; problem solved.

19. us law enforcement officers in Louisiana got better things to do, like pull over and harrass BP executives!!

20. I've been pulled over quite a few times just because the cop dug the car. One actually apologized, saying "I didn't mean to alarm you, but I wanted to see if this was my brother's old car. I've been wanting to find it and buy it!"

Got pulled over in southern Kansas years ago in my '66 Dodge. I was listening to Judas Priest's "Breakin' the Law!" on the cassette when I went zooming past a highway patrolman going the opposite direction. He turns his lights on and I just pulled over and waited for him. After some polite conversation and a stern admonishment, he asks if i knew where he could find parts for his son's '66 Charger, to which I replied "Depends on the outcome of the ticket, Officer!" and smiled:D. He cut me some slack and I got to send in the ticket and fine w/o it showing on my DL record. I gave him some info and he calls me later on to thank me for the lead - he ended up with two complete Chargers from this other guy!

21. 3 cops helped me push my car away from the traffic lights when it died about 2 weeks back. They were waiting for pizza....

Of course, a week earlier 2 others had defected another car I was driving (not 50 metres from where the pizza copes helped push!). Still, they were reasonable cool about it, despite it being far from roadworthy.

22. I'm old enough to remember when litterbugs were made to clean up a stretch of highway by the courts. Maybe you guys down south who are the recipients of BP's mess should make their Senior Execs do the same? :D

People on my side of the world are pretty shocked by what's happened.

23. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I guess I don't drive like an ass...never been pulled over in my 36 including the first trip- open headers and no windshield.....

24. yogel

yogel

Grew up in a small town in N.J. and just about every Wed. night would find me in municipal court paying fines for chicken s**t tickets.Loud exhaust, something hanging from the mirror , and heres an oldie but goodie illegal display of lincense plate (hung from front bumper with shower curtain hooks) you all know the standard 60`s B.S. tickets.

25. phukinartie

phukinartie

I have lived the same town all my life...I have never gotten a ticket I didn't deserve and gotten out of alot of ones I did!

26. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

Yeah doesnt help if you have open headers with a high compression cammed small block. With a problem of keeping your foot out of it.

27. I'd pull you over too.

28. big creep

big creep

Ive seen the old street signs that would say people of color be out by dark! glad thats changed. when i lived with my dad in La Crescenta i though, fuck burbank PD. but man i live here now, and when you call them they all come running! its the best when you really need them. glendale PD was the same. they now have two 6 Million dollar helicopters that can sneak up on you. they have no rear rotor so they are real silent, you dont hear them till they are right over you!

29. 53floored

53floored
    from kansas

wow must be a kansas thing twice in the last 6 weeks Ive been pulled over in my s-10 93 x cab lowered 2 inches up front and about 3 in the back chevy rally's faded paint rusted out under the rockers plane jane truck.
    get followed 1/4 mile from the house as sir sheriff meets me at the light so I turn down my street and he flips the lights on just as i get to the driveway.
    Now I park in the rear so I pull up behind the house and he pulls up the driveway asks me what im doin out at 130 in the morn (completely sober) said just comin home asks me for all my info so I give it to him checks it comes back reason he pulled me over said he could see one of my tag light bulbs:rolleyes:
    2nd time last week same intersection pull up to a light turning red car waiting on my left... its a sheriff... (now the section im on has road construction so its only 2 lanes). his light goes green.. he sits there finally turns drives past me kinda slow my light turns green I go on look in the mirror here he is doin a 3 point turn he comes back my way luckily my street is 4 streets down from that intersectionso hook a right cut my lights pull in behind my house take it out of 5th dont even set the parking brake hurry inside... mr sheriff is in the drive walking to the back with his light to find me... never did pulled out and went on his way.... Now Ive had my share of tickets but I honestly didnt do anything wrong either time.

30. Deuces

Deuces

I would have done the same.... A shadow is still a rice burner with a 1400 watt Revlon hair dryer..

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010